xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: EurAsia interview with the xKey developer  (Read 1331 times)

orangpelupa

• Archived User
EurAsia interview with the xKey developer
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »

also if  xkey compatible with DVD CFW, it will be a lot better in ease of use.

so gamer can play iso from HDD, or do pass thru and play pi.... backup from disc.

angrykid

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »

there will be one small thing they "forgot" or "could not" emulate and then bam....... say goodbye to XBL suckers
 laugh.gif

also entertaining to watch people have hissy fits on here  jester.gif

njmbb8

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »

i love the device and really want one. but it costs more than what i payed for my xbox

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(d4f @ Jul 2 2011, 02:06 PM) View Post

They would have to check it on every boot

and? do they not do ap2.5 checks every time you try to boot an ap2.5 game? do they not do other various security checks every time the console boots? do the slims not do automated firmware checks on every boot? you make it sound like it is a problem to have to do checks on every boot.

also, i think the stuff they have done to banned consoles should show you exactly how far microsoft can go. i think you are misunderstanding how far microsoft can legally go. did you forget that when they ban a console, they remove the consoles ability to legitimatley sign content, meaning your content is locked to your system and can't be moved to another? and don't forget the profile bans they gave to people who played games before release date a few years ago (or more specifically, took away access to all of those people's purchased dlc/xbla content, with no way to retrieve it ever)

If xKey really is fully updatable as they claim and it's FPGA / ARM provides enough horse power, I don't see how they couldn't eventually get the console to be fooled for some time  - until the next update.

that is assuming that microsoft detects an imperfection like they have done with various cfw revisions as opposed to being able to just tell right off the bat that this is an emulator and not a real drive. like i said, only time will tell. i personally am skeptic about the longevity of this device.

QUOTE(kiltear @ Jul 2 2011, 04:04 PM) View Post

I believe it's hard for Microsoft to ban again. Here's the reasons.

1. Microsoft get nothing out of banning consoles (no incentives of banning consoles)
2. Street will be flooded with ban consoles.
3. Hacker just sell their ban console on craiglist and buy a new one. (now that there is a replacement board from team-xecuter)

I think MS will think twice before they ban again. They will compare the benefits vs negatives.
If they want to win this battle, they should make it harder for the hackers to get online or make it harder for the games to load like the ap25 check or implement XGD3 disc format instead. That way they won't flood the street with ban consoles. In the end, hackers just buy another new console. So no benefit for MS to ban consoles.

people say this all the time. you are being naive. people present the same points of logic every time that there has been any span of time since the last banwave. these same people are always shocked when microsoft finds a new reliable way to detect people and starts swinging the ban hammer.

tonelab77

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Vrtclhykr @ Jul 2 2011, 09:24 AM) View Post

pv3nomq says:
I say: You are an idiot.

These teams finally work on a project that allows HD play without a JTAG machine and idiots like you can only complain.  I recommend you keep your money because you need it for an education.

I couldn't agree with you more. What an effing tool shed! Unappreciative fools like that should be banned from life!

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Jul 2 2011, 11:03 AM) View Post

no, i think he has a valid point. the detectability of this device is an issue that we will have to wait and see on. microsoft has in the past proven that they have no problem with blocking 3rd party products at the console level. just look at the datel fiasco a few years ago.

if microsoft DOES detect that a console is using one of these devices, what will they do? will they simply ban the console, or will they implement something in a future dash/kernel update to prevent booting from it, rending the device as a paperweight?

no one will know how well this device will work long term until the product is released and we see what microsoft can do about it.

He has a valid point if you're a one of the many [insert degrading remark here] who thinks anything will ever be "live safe". If you want to play on live so badly, buy a second (live only) console.

This is for people who cannot JTAG their consoles, either because of incompatible dash version/blown e-fuses or inexperience in JTAGing a 360; People who just want to load up all their games on external hard drives. It's NOT for people who have no common sense, and want to play every burned game they have on live.

sini

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(bill16504 @ Jul 3 2011, 05:56 PM) View Post
3. Hacker will sell their console and buy a new one you say. Help me understand how buying a new console doesn't help MS. You're giving them more money for another console.

Most people grab another console to mod from ebay, therefore Microsoft don't make any money off it.

d4f

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »

That way you could just download an orig firmware for your drive to the device and let it fill in the key.

To my understanding there is no problem injecting the key into a vanilla firmware.
However
- someone needs to provide all firmware versions
- you still need the key

So at the end of the day you have (more or less) the same work wink.gif

Sniffing is not possible if no security-critical weakness is found in the encrypted channel. (Afaik the key is never transferred, only the data which is encrypted with the key)
You would have to do Jungleflash-style hacks on the device to get the key.

sncboom2k

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »

All this detection bit aside - the price tag is pretty high on this device so I'm wondering if they'll provide the tools needed to "read your key" in order to install it.  Otherwise that will be an additional cost.

Pricey - but may be worth it. I'll wait until they launch and work out some bugs before buying.  Sorry - not an early adopter for that much money.

manu_xl

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »

again a lot of bullshit from a team who only wants your money asap. thats why they would like everyone to preorder. prices will go down pretty fast after release...

Exobex

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(manu_xl @ Jul 4 2011, 12:14 AM) View Post

again a lot of bullshit from a team who only wants your money asap. thats why they would like everyone to preorder. prices will go down pretty fast after release...

sleeping.gif

kerry

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2011, 02:57:00 AM »

wow.....it would be cool to play games from an USB device without any firmware changes...i would buy one for 99$ at max though....

AlkaliV2

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2011, 04:36:00 AM »

Here's a question I don't believe they've covered yet.  How are they going to handle multi-disc game switching?  I know with some games it's possible to quit the game and boot up with the next disc but it's not as effective as the plugins offered with a JTAG.  And for the price which you're paying to play on Live, is comparable to a Xenon/Falcon JTAG.

AlkaliV2

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 05:18:00 AM »

Having to work out timing like that you wonder how many people are going to be testing this thing.  I personally am willing to pick one up since it will be the closest thing to JTAGing my Slim as I'm gonna get.  However, pre-orders aren't my style and a wise man once said, "Never buy the first generation of anything." Prime examples from this generation of console gaming being:

Xbox 360
PS3
Razer Onza 360 Controller
Nyko Cooler Fan

And probably some more items I'm forgetting.  Not bashing any of those products, cause I own all but one of those, more like letting people know to see how this thing performs before dropping $130.

rigger66

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »

* No, quite the opposite in fact. You need a dump of the original drive firmware to configure Xkey. The good news is that's all you need to configure Xkey.

Full Interview: eurasia.nu

Read this carefully  laugh.gif   You need a dump of the original drive firmware ...............Great Plug n Play device    blink.gif  

Most will have already pre ordered and Done their Dough  ohmy.gif  without this knowledge   jester.gif

Regards

Rigger66

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(tonelab77 @ Jul 3 2011, 01:46 PM) View Post

He has a valid point if you're a one of the many [insert degrading remark here] who thinks anything will ever be "live safe". If you want to play on live so badly, buy a second (live only) console.

This is for people who cannot JTAG their consoles, either because of incompatible dash version/blown e-fuses or inexperience in JTAGing a 360; People who just want to load up all their games on external hard drives. It's NOT for people who have no common sense, and want to play every burned game they have on live.

you clearly didn't read my post in its entirety, even though you quoted it.

read
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6