xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: DG-16D4S 0225 Epoxy Removal and Replacement – The Easy Way  (Read 207 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

DG-16D4S 0225 Epoxy Removal and Replacement – The Easy Way
Posted by XanTium | July 7 12:39 EST | News Category: Xbox360

Many of you are now using the 0225 Pro Install kit for the 0225 slim drives and are either attacking it like pro’s or wondering wtf did I get myself in to ? – For the latter – here is a tutorial to let you in on the secrets of how to handle epoxy resin and removing/replacing IC’s with ease and with cheap ass equipment :)

Thanks to Podger & Ubergeek

http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67283

Full Tutorial: team-xecuter.com

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »

Seems like a lot of work to save $40.

joliverio

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »

The tut is pretty well executed and shows all the details in deep. But SURELY it should be done only by skillful PROFESSIONALS, the materials used are pretty cheap however to remove this SMT chip needs a LOT of previous knowledge in soldering. I don't want to scare anybody, there are a lot of people who can make this job pretty well, but not for "weekends Professionals"! In fact, people who can REALLY remove and later on SOLDER this chipset without any "side effect" do not need this tutorial!

LSU_P8tball

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(joliverio @ Jul 7 2011, 02:46 PM) *

The tut is pretty well executed and shows all the details in deep. But SURELY it should be done only by skillful PROFESSIONALS, the materials used are pretty cheap however to remove this SMT chip needs a LOT of previous knowledge in soldering. I don't want to scare anybody, there are a lot of people who can make this job pretty well, but not for "weekends Professionals"! In fact, people who can REALLY remove and later on SOLDER this chipset without any "side effect" do not need this tutorial!

I agree that most "Professionals" probably don't need this tutorial. However, how are people going to learn if someone doesn't provide guidance and trying to do it themselves. I guarantee that the same people that wont need this tutorial probably were taught or used trial and error to learn these techniques they just didn't wake up one day and know how to solder. I have never removed a SMT chip, but I am willing to try and accept the consequence or rewards. I enjoy the challenge and trying something new and put my skills to the test. I also suggest that if someone is new to soldering this wouldn't be the first thing I try, practice on some old mother boards. People should not be discouraged from learning and trying new things

tomgreen99200

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Jul 7 2011, 03:04 PM) *

Seems like a lot of work to save $40.

I agree it does seem like a lot of work. Nevertheless, the guide is great and very detailed. I'm just glad I don't have to do this  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) .

I also agree with LSU_P8tball, learning something new is never a bad thing. The reward of doing something yourself for the first time feels great.

This post has been edited by tomgreen99200: Jul 7 2011, 10:25 PM

TingedAce

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »

Not looking forward to the difficult way   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I might be tempted to give that ChipQuik stuff a try though, armed with a soldering iron in each hand and someone on hand to whiech (Scottish word) it off for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

iateshaggy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »

my favorite part of the tut:

38. Solder all the remaining pins...You may want to use a microscope at this point (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »

If this is the easy way, whats the hard way look like.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »

I have swapped these IC chips before for people who killed their circuit board and do it pretty much the same way the tutorial suggests. Yes it is a very good and detailed tutorial. But still an awful lot of work for what money you save and I can see many people going the cheap rout only to find out they will have to buy the complete board anyway.

The good thing is that at least you can dump the firmware before attempting this. That way no matter what you will still be able to recover even if it ends up costing more in the end.

As for me I will NOT be doing 20+ of these a day as I do the other drives. lol

CHI3f

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »

I would definately love to try this. Sucks there is nothing new to flash to it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

danthaman673

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »

Anyone who didn't have this figured-out already shouldn't be attempting a chip transplant!
Doing it with a heat-gun is asking for trouble! Use a decent re-work station!

Guess they're dissapointed about how many chips they're selling, well: Get them to more local suppliers (There's only one down-here ;-) and lower the price! (Should have been lowered in-ine with the PCB) or raise the PCB price. I know at least one major supplier that's ordering neither! Perhaps they were holding-out for the write-solution (one that didn't involve chip or PCB transplant - I don't think he's been bought-out as some ppl have suggested, he's probably just taking his time and letting other recoup some R&D costs)

Brgds

This post has been edited by danthaman673: Jul 8 2011, 06:48 AM

sudeki300

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »

i don't know anyone in the uk who has gotten there pcb or chip yet in the uk, the resellers i have looked at and ordered from are still waiting for the stock to arrive and the date keeps getting pushed back. even if they wrere in stock the firmware by c4eva has not been released yet..........................sudeki300

AllThisThen

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »

Well, I feel I could now remove epoxy from a chip like that.

Removing the chip itself? I follow another set of instructions to accomplish that. 1) My head goes in this noose. 2) I kick stool out from under me. 3) Chip is removed intact!
Cost of rope and stool < $20

pezjono1986

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(AllThisThen @ Jul 8 2011, 08:30 PM) *

Well, I feel I could now remove epoxy from a chip like that.

Removing the chip itself? I follow another set of instructions to accomplish that. 1) My head goes in this noose. 2) I kick stool out from under me. 3) Chip is removed intact!
Cost of rope and stool < $20

Is there any way to mod the rope to make it more effective? Can I overclock the stool to support more load?

Is there a 5V source to attach LEDs to!?!?!?