xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: xKey Hardware Unveiled, Spring Update, And More!  (Read 1296 times)

HotKnife420

• Archived User
xKey Hardware Unveiled, Spring Update, And More!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 02:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(jackeroo75 @ Jun 16 2011, 07:15 AM) View Post

WEll when the new disk format is implemented this will be the only solution.  Therefore, the price is well worth it.

No, LT+2.0 will have XGD3 backup support included. The x360Key is simply another means to the same end.

QUOTE(kingdt @ Jun 16 2011, 09:36 AM) View Post

Whats with the dvd drive open the whole time? Is that just to show the xkey is blocking messages from the dvd drive to the mobo or is it a necessity?

I think it's to prove that the game is running without a disc in the tray (because NXE installs still require the game disc in the tray).

OzModChips

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(ploggy @ Jun 16 2011, 09:28 AM) View Post

OzModChips, have you tested this??
Or do you know if we can use a self-powered HDD, I only ask because in the video he's using an externally powered HDD.. smile.gif
Thanks

No, no one but them has one. We are hoping to get one before release so we can make some video instructions for everyone.
I think it will work the same way as the WODE, in that the device get a small amount of power internally to power the screen, Sd card slot and operations. The rest of the power for the backlight on the screen and the HDD plugged in is taken from the back USb port of the Wii (360 in this case). With the wode you can use a self power HDD fine. Or you can use a HUB and plug in 10 harddrive if you want. The reason you see thage page on the video where it says "Select HDD" is because you can plug in as many as you want. Or you can have one with multiple partitions...its not fussy.

QUOTE(kingdt @ Jun 16 2011, 09:36 AM) View Post

Whats with the dvd drive open the whole time? Is that just to show the xkey is blocking messages from the dvd drive to the mobo or is it a necessity?

They are just doing that to show that it running from the HDD, not with a disc or from the NXE as a GOD game. I'm sure if they had the tray closed a lot of idiots would be say "FAKE FAKE!!!!". But in normal operation the drive can remain closed if you want

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Jun 16 2011, 09:36 AM) View Post

No, LT+2.0 will have XGD3 backup support included. The x360Key is simply another means to the same end.

yeah 2.0 firmware will support it, but the scary thing is trying to figure out how to do the whole extra 1GB of data with a retail burner. Will users need to buy another burner and flash it with CFW? Hopefully it won't be too hard and both solution an co-exist with slagging matches

Midnight Tboy

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 03:08:00 AM »

so can see it's using iso files in the video (tut tut they could have renamed the 'scene release' games at the least)

Bit of a bugger though I was hoping it would support somehow extracted isos (maybe it still can?)  so was hoping I could in effect use the same external hdd for my jtag as for this.....means will have to have duplicates of everything I want on there

linflas

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 03:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(OzModChips @ Jun 16 2011, 07:46 AM) View Post

The Xkey (x360key, whatever the final name will be) sits in between the DVD drive and the mobo. So every signal that the xbox has to the DVD drive MUST go through the the Xkey. The xKey can be disabled to allow the disc drive to work as normal if you want. But if it wants to it can intercept all messages from the mobo and respond EXACTLY the same way as the drive would. This is the job of an emulator.

So...
If the mobo sends a signal down to the 360 drive saying "Hey, do you a disc in your Tray". The xKey steps in and responds with  "Yes".  Get it?

Well on a PC, disk emulators are pretty easily recognized and black listed by copy protection software, from a hardware standpoint I am curious how this would avoid those issues.  Why I question it's long term viability, might work for a dashboard update or two, I don't know of course.  Will just have to wait and see.

I definitely will not be an early adopter though, cool product or not.  Just too many questions for me.  

Not sure if we have an ETA on the first XGD3 game coming to retail, but going to cross that bridge. When it gets here.  Thanks again for your input.

Syn201

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 04:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(Midnight Tboy @ Jun 16 2011, 10:08 AM) View Post

so can see it's using iso files in the video (tut tut they could have renamed the 'scene release' games at the least)

Bit of a bugger though I was hoping it would support somehow extracted isos (maybe it still can?)  so was hoping I could in effect use the same external hdd for my jtag as for this.....means will have to have duplicates of everything I want on there

Yeah the scene release games gave me a laugh .I also laugh at people still trying the "backup" argument
When backups in this day and age are pretty much redundant due to the hdd install ,short of standing
ON the xbox well the disk is spining for the one second check your not gona break the disks after
Installing to hdd.thesse are the same people who then cry about piracy yet you can bet they have
At least 4 games in there dl list ..

gamesquest1

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »

ok just a few thoughts, pc drive emulators are blocked due to the fact they are using software based emulation methods and even if they wernt a company can block specific dvd drive models on pc if its too big a risk whereas on xbox 360 there is only like 6-7 diffrent drive types, if MS decided to even block 1 there would be an uproar

thats not to say this thing is undetectable, as we know MS has even banned box's with the 12v fan mod so im sure they will be testing with this themselves looking for slight diffrences in voltages and data speeds between the drive and the xbox.

it all boils down to "How accurate" this really is a emulating the drive if its just enough to play backups but having other effects such as drawing too much current or replying to commands to quickly as compared to retail drives then that would be a problem, but hopefully the people behind this did their research and made it as close to retail drive as possible like c4e had to do after his original Xtreme firmwares where subjected to the ban hammer.

one thing i noticed is on this video is they had 2 copies of halo reach on there, begs the question "why?" could it possibly have problems with compatability seems odd they would have got a game twice if compatability wasnt an issue, and if compatability is an issue with certain games could MS possible enven block this with title updates to screw compatability of games

tech3475

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 06:30:00 AM »

Nice idea but too expensive for me right now for the amount of times I play on my banned xbox.

I wonder what c4eva's solution is though, didn't he say it would be announced around the same time?

kneehighspy

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(CardnalSyn @ Jun 16 2011, 06:06 AM) View Post

neat, but holy crap. its $119.

price really doesn't bother me, if it does what i want it to do, then it's worth the price of admission.  went ahead and pre-ordered mine already smile.gif

ploggy

• Recovered User
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(tech3475 @ Jun 16 2011, 01:30 PM) View Post

Nice idea but too expensive for me right now for the amount of times I play on my banned xbox.

I wonder what c4eva's solution is though, didn't he say it would be announced around the same time?

Yea, I'm wondering what c4eva's solution is also, could be interesting tongue.gif

Fudgebar

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »

I dont understand the excitement over this....one updated MS dashboard update that blocks this emulation hardware from running and the customer is out $100+ bucks!

Am I missing something obvious here?

OzModChips

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(gamesquest1 @ Jun 16 2011, 01:29 PM) View Post

one thing i noticed is on this video is they had 2 copies of halo reach on there, begs the question "why?" could it possibly have problems with compatability seems odd they would have got a game twice if compatability wasnt an issue, and if compatability is an issue with certain games could MS possible enven block this with title updates to screw compatability of games

One is patched with AP2.5 data for the newest dashboard
and one is for the old dashboard
1 HDD, to test all ODDs on different dash versions

If people are worried about XBL and the device being blocked just sit back and enjoy your CFW. We have been reflashing peoples consoles to 1.9 today (thanks c4e) and its the 4th~5th time for some people. Not everyone flashes their own console.
For most people The Artificer is unknown, so if you need him to prove how good he is and how fast he can code just grab some popcorn and watch.
 pop.gif

pagla07

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »

This seems brilliant! The scene is finally getting a move on. But it would be more useful to me if I could use my 250gb slim drive with this.... oh well

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Fudgebar @ Jun 16 2011, 10:32 AM) View Post

I dont understand the excitement over this....one updated MS dashboard update that blocks this emulation hardware from running and the customer is out $100+ bucks!
Am I missing something obvious here?

This runs between the motherboard and the DVD drive over the SATA connection. As long as the portable Linux device can do a good job at emulating c4eva firmware they should no more be able to block it as they can c4eva firmware in DVD drives.

As for the price yes it is a bit steep. But considering you are buying a very small portable Linux machine the price is about right for the hardware you are getting.

GeToChKn

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(gamesquest1 @ Jun 16 2011, 01:29 PM) View Post

thats not to say this thing is undetectable, as we know MS has even banned box's with the 12v fan mod so im sure they will be testing with this themselves looking for slight diffrences in voltages and data speeds between the drive and the xbox.

Proof that Xbox has banned a system for 12v fan mods.  Really, this has been going around for like 4 years without any proof.  Urban Legend.I've fixed probably 400 360's with the RROD and did the 12v on every single one of them.  Not a single ban.

GeToChKn

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(bill16504 @ Jun 16 2011, 05:31 PM) View Post

And after you've bought and used up those Verbs.... then what? You're going to go out and spend more money over and over on discs.

Especially if they start randomly changing ap2.5 keys.  You already have to reburn all the ap2.5 games from 12625 to 13146.  MS can change the ap2.5 challenge response anytime they want.  Tell me how much you're saving when you have 19 copies of COD sitting around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5