xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 3 Red Light Fix 0020 Secondary Code  (Read 14 times)

howky

• Archived User
3 Red Light Fix 0020 Secondary Code
« on: January 12, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »

Hello just thought id share how i fixed this problem the console, i bought off that auction site we all know so well was unopened but warranty had expired, Was displaying 3 red lights with 0020 secondary code . I removed the X clamps polished the GPU and CPU until i cud see my reflection in both chips. I dont like using the split metal washers underneath the board as they can chew the copper rings. Nylon washers were used underneath  with 2 metal ones above over each thread M15 10mm Screws were used. After tightening all the screws to 65% i placed  the board in the metal housing. Switched on and still had 3 red lights with same error code. So first step was to overheat the GPU to obtain 2 red lights. Placed the fans over the CPU and switched on and waited watching the lights after 20 mins no change still 3 red lights. I felt both heatsinks which were hot but not hot enough i unplugged and decided to overheat both the CPU and GPU. Switched on and waited a further 6 mins still no change. I was thinking that the board would need a professional reflow i know a guy who has a BGA rework station with an infa red oven but i thought back to my college days when i was learning about computer hardware and i thought if i remove the heatsink off the GPU this should force it to overheat this takes literally a matter of seconds, so i was ready to unplug as soon as  2 red lights showed. About 25 seconds i got 2 red lights pulled the power cord out and let the GPU cool down reasembelled the heatsink and was ready to switch on i got the middle green light then waited a few seconds 3 RED LIGHTS !!!!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) switched off tried again got all GREEN  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif) i think the chips had  to heat up to get the solder to flow properly after the overheat going to run now for 30 mins to see if its stable maybe i just got lucky hope this helps  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Crawler

• Archived User
3 Red Light Fix 0020 Secondary Code
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »

I just had the same issue on a virgin console, i used the xclamp kit on the gpu only,  plugged it back in, and it worked the 1st time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)