xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: No Effect Of Umd Edit On Multiplayer  (Read 198 times)

Gmail

• Archived User
No Effect Of Umd Edit On Multiplayer
« on: August 13, 2005, 03:05:00 AM »

I have been editing the xboxdynamic.umd file for R63:BA for a while, but I have come to a problem.

After editing values such as m_fJumpSize, m_iMPPlayerShootsHeadMultiplier and m_iHeadWoundThreshold etc. I can see a difference in the game respected to those values edited, however after a while those edited values dont have any effect like is the .umd has been resetted.

For example:
Changing the m_fJumpSize to lower value decreases the amount of recoil, and therefore giving your aim in rapid fire more accurate, at first this worked extremely well, however after a while the bullets during rapid fire started to spread out like it did originally in the retail version .umd.

I would very much appreciate any effort for helping me on this.

Gmail

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 03:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(xbill)
You are correct in regard to the m_fJumpSize, this value affects the amount of jump of your weapon due to recoil. However, this is not he only variable that affects the accuracy of your weapon. There are several other variables that increase or diminish the accuracy.

m_fErrorMaxSize is one variable that influences accuracy. This is the ammount of error (inaccuracy) that is tacked on to the aiming system's trajectory for your bullets.

m_fTimeToShrink is another. This is the ammount of time that it takes for you weapon's aim to return to its normal accuracy after the error is added in.

As you hold down the trigger, the ammount of error and the amount of time needed to return to normal accuracy increases.

You might consider the strategy of using short controlled bursts of fire, ratherer than long continuous full auto.

For the wound/damage variables, I have not experimented extensively with them. Some variables affect the damage you inflict, while others affect the damage you take. You might find that it is a double-edged sword in that if you change a value, the game engine might give another player who is targetting you those values, so the damage they do to you is greater.

In terms of the values being overwritten, or reset: The game unpacks the umd file regularly. The first time the games is run, or whenever the cache on x,y, or z is deleted, it will put a bunch of files on the cache drive to speed things up during the game. Parts of the user.ini file that exists in the system folder do get re-written when you change button configs and profiles. The values for the buttons (Joy1 - Joy16) ,for example, in the user.ini get re-written from the controllerconfig.ini that is embedded in the umd. Conrtollerconfig.ini has the sections [ButtonConfig1] and so on, that correspond to the button set ups in the game's options menu.

Your best bet is to get the unpacked umd or unpack it yourself - putting the unpacked files back on the xbox hd, and then remove or rename the umd in the system folder. Then, you can edit the actual configuration files with an ordinary text editor, like Notepad.

The file that contains the variables you mentioned is R6GAMESETTINGS.ini which is embedded in the umd. You may find that the settings you change work fine in single-player, but do not work the same or do not work at all in multi-player. The reason is primarily because the host server xbox of the game controls many of those variables. The server wont allow or will not use those values that are outside of the standard value ranges. Some do work, but others dont.

-xbill

This post has been edited by Gmail: Aug 13 2005, 10:08 AM

xbill

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 02:47:00 PM »

Gmail,

Are you editing the settings that appear in R6GAMESETTINGS.ini, or are you editing the the variables in the Unreal scripts (.uc) that are embedded in the .u files?

The R6GAMESETTINGS.ini does contain those variables and changing them should produce a different effect.  It is also possible that parts of the R6GAMESETTINGS.ini get rebuilt just as parts of user.ini get rebuilt.

xbill

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 03:15:00 PM »

Also,  changing the code or variables in the UnrealScripts has no effect.   The actual code is compiled.  The text of the scripts you see is just source code.  
To test this, I deleted (filled with zeros) the entire Actor class script (actor.uc) in Engine.u and the game still runs normally.  

Gmail

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 12:08:00 AM »

Well I edited the xboxdynamic.umd, those variables can be found there too.

xbill

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »

The umd contains most of the files I'm refering to.   So you can edit them in the umd, or  if you have unpacked the umd , you can edit the individual files.