xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Rrod Help  (Read 127 times)

360ballin

• Archived User
Rrod Help
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »

used 360 i bought, got rrod a while later, so i opened it up, to see it already has penny trick, and replaced xclamps with washers, looks liek 1 nylon and 1 regular on each screw. 1 penny stack was off so i reattached that. that didnt fix it. so now im trying to "overheat" it, (as some penny tricks say to do after u put it back together), and its cooling now...it may work for  alittle as its basically the towel trick, so that itself my fix it for a few days...

but is there anytihng else i should do?

360ballin

• Archived User
Rrod Help
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »

ok, i got the error code for overheated gpu, 0012 if i remember correctly. so I took the heatsinks off to expose the gpu, theres some white paste on it, and it not even hard, itouched it and i got on my hand... its pasty kind of... is this bad? what is it? the center chip or wahtever is covered in it, then a smalled square above it is covered in it....

edit: found kit on ebay, has 8 screws, and liek 16 of each washer, nylon and regular. comes with stars paste instead of arctic silver... also found a kit elsewhere for liek half the price, comes with same amount of hardware, and comes with a paste, i emailed asking what brand....

This post has been edited by 360ballin: Apr 15 2010, 02:07 AM

bftiedt

• Archived User
Rrod Help
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »

your error code is your GPU over heating -ensure your x-clamps are installed properly.  also the paste is your thermal paste i would recommend cleaning it and then installing some artic silver. if you can get them of i would take the penny off and follow this guide http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_...x-clamp_fix.htm

bftiedt

• Archived User
Rrod Help
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »

everything you need can be bought at home depot or lowes for about 5-8 bucks.

nexxusty

• Archived User
Rrod Help
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(360ballin @ Apr 14 2010, 08:36 PM) *

ok, i got the error code for overheated gpu, 0012 if i remember correctly. so I took the heatsinks off to expose the gpu, theres some white paste on it, and it not even hard, itouched it and i got on my hand... its pasty kind of... is this bad? what is it? the center chip or wahtever is covered in it, then a smalled square above it is covered in it....

edit: found kit on ebay, has 8 screws, and liek 16 of each washer, nylon and regular. comes with stars paste instead of arctic silver... also found a kit elsewhere for liek half the price, comes with same amount of hardware, and comes with a paste, i emailed asking what brand....

Quit. Now. Walk the other way.

360ballin

• Archived User
Rrod Help
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »

ok, so i adjusted the bolts, it worked for a few days, but now after playing a lil while the video distorts n goes out, freezes, etc.... would arctic silver help? not sure what paste is on there now... all i can say its white, liek whiteout....

also would a tailsmoon fan fix it? I no longer get rrod, just freezes and distorts or goes out after a while.

shivadow

• Archived User
Rrod Help
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(360ballin @ Apr 22 2010, 10:05 PM) *

ok, so i adjusted the bolts, it worked for a few days, but now after playing a lil while the video distorts n goes out, freezes, etc.... would arctic silver help? not sure what paste is on there now... all i can say its white, liek whiteout....

also would a tailsmoon fan fix it? I no longer get rrod, just freezes and distorts or goes out after a while.

You must remember that all those methods are just fixes and not solutions. There are no solutions except for a replacement machine which may still 3LOD.

It is a known flaw in the system due to the tolerances being set too low when the hardware can take more of a battering. Blame MS.

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
Rrod Help
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 02:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(360ballin @ Apr 22 2010, 11:05 PM) *

Arctic Silver 5 is reccomended, because the ceramic (white compound) are just not enough to keep the chips cool enough. It won't hurt to replace the crappy ceramic with the AS5.

EDIT: Talismoon will not fix your issue, not only by itself, but it is good addition on coolling properties of your console. I reccomend to replace the stock fans with talismoon ones.
         Also you might need to reflow GPU if all the above don't fix the distorts and freezes.

This post has been edited by MadMaxGR: Apr 23 2010, 09:03 AM

360ballin

• Archived User
Rrod Help
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(MadMaxGR @ Apr 23 2010, 04:01 AM) *

Arctic Silver 5 is reccomended, because the ceramic (white compound) are just not enough to keep the chips cool enough. It won't hurt to replace the crappy ceramic with the AS5.

EDIT: Talismoon will not fix your issue, not only by itself, but it is good addition on coolling properties of your console. I reccomend to replace the stock fans with talismoon ones.
         Also you might need to reflow GPU if all the above don't fix the distorts and freezes.

so as5 isnt white? so i can rule out that the current paste on it is AS5?

nm*13

• Archived User
Rrod Help
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 04:57:00 PM »

arctic silver 5 is silverish grayish hence the name