xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvd Drive Dead? Or Is It Fixable?  (Read 104 times)

dan_plus_o

• Archived User
Dvd Drive Dead? Or Is It Fixable?
« on: February 02, 2020, 10:14:00 PM »

Hey guys! So long story short I got ripped off on a 360. Thought I could trust the guy I bought it from because we hung out a lot in the past when we were younger. Said it worked fine but it had the ring of death.

I ripped it apart removed the GPU heatsink and applied Artic Silver 5 and screwed the heatsink down tight using bolts and washers. That fixed the RROD problem and I tried gaming for over an hour without any problems (played demos on the HDD). I will probably do it to the CPU heatsink too just to be safe.

Anyways, when I was plugging in the DVD drive to test the system out I installed the plug in the wrong way which I didn't even think was possible (didn't even take much pressure to plug it in wrong). WOW my bad! So now the DVD drive will not respond at all. So most likely something shorted out or fried. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas of where to start looking for a possible fix. I am a skilled solderer so if it just needs a new circuit or some solder joints fixed, I can do that.

I am hoping it only wrecked the DVD drive and not the motherboard. Do you think it would wreck the motherboard too? I don't think it would but you never know. I also didn't hear any popping noises or any noises at all when I turned the system on with the DVD plugged in backwards which seems weird.

I'm just mainly looking for advice I guess. Trying to hold back from seriously hurting this kid so just trying to make the best of the situation by fixing it myself.

BTW: Does anyone sell DVD drives with the firmware already flashed to play backups??

This post has been edited by dan_plus_o: Yesterday, 07:06 AM

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 02:44:00 AM »

Well, you did fry something on your DVD controller board. This is located inside the DVD-Drive and you have to open up the drive to access to it. If you are lucky, it will be a blown resistant and nothing else. Also if you are lucky enough you will be able to ready the DVD drive's unique key. If you manage to get that key, you can send it to someone to flash a drive for your behalf and send it to you to replace the faulty one. I hope I helped.

dan_plus_o

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 05:15:00 AM »

Hey! That helps a lot! Mainly the part about the key. I didn't know you needed a unique key off the original drive to flash another drive for that system.

I already have the drive cracked open but have yet to thoroughly look it over. At first glance I couldn't see anything that was blown. Not too sure what to even look for. I guess I will have to look for some pictures of blown resistors and capacitors so I know what to look for.

I would ask where this unique key is located (or what readying it means) but I'm sure I can find this info easily enough on google. I haven't read up on modding a 360 yet. I just know it involves flashing the DVD drive and that my sata controller in my PC is compatible to do it. I just figured if I need a new drive anyways maybe someone would sell me one and flash it for me before shipping it out.

Thanks for the help!

This post has been edited by dan_plus_o: Yesterday, 01:18 PM

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 07:11:00 AM »

The Key is stored in a chip (encoded) and you need to extract it. Which DVD Drive model do you have?

SphtKr76

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 01:57:00 PM »

You would need to extract the DVD key from your current drive first, then send it to someone to have a new drive flashed and prepared for your console. If you can't, or don't have the stuff to extract the key, you could send the entire drive to someone with the right tools/know-how to have it done. Of course there is always the chance that the drive is fried and the key will not be able to be retrieved, in that case the nand will have to be dumped, which is more complicated, and would cost more.

IMO, your best bet is find someone local to you that you have do the work, shipping consoles back and forth gets expensive quick.

dan_plus_o

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 02:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(MadMaxGR @ Mar 8 2010, 06:11 AM) *

The Key is stored in a chip (encoded) and you need to extract it. Which DVD Drive model do you have?

I have a Hitachi drive.

I didn't realize flashing it would be that much work. I will probably just figure it out myself and save some money. Have seen DVD drives on eBay for like $30.

I'm just about to go pick up another 360. This one is new back from warranty so it should be decent ($120 CAN with controller and 20GB HDD). Seems like a nice price to me. I will probably crack that open when I get it and try the DVD drive in the current one I have to make sure its just the drive that is damaged and not the mobo. That is possible right? The DVD drive isn't linked to the specific console is it?

OFF TOPIC: I just notice someone selling a RROD xbox near by so I will probably snatch that up too for maybe $10-$20 then see if I can fix that and sell it. If not I'm sure the dvd drive works in it then it only cost me $20 for a drive instead of $30 on eBay. I would like to learn to flash them anyways so I can fix them up, flash them, and then sell them.
REALLY OFF TOPIC: I bought a wii for $100. Soldered in a modchip, burnt some games for it and turned around and sold it for $300. Seems like a nice way to make some easy cash. Modchip was $50 so $150 profit is decent.

This post has been edited by dan_plus_o: Yesterday, 10:52 PM

1hotjob

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 03:37:00 PM »

REALLY OFF TOPIC: I bought a wii for $100. Soldered in a modchip, burnt some games for it and turned around and sold it for $300. Seems like a nice way to make some easy cash. Modchip was $50 so $150 profit is decent.

Pirating games is a real easy way to make money. It is a real easy way to get banned here too.