xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Track/map Editing  (Read 349 times)

lodyha

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« on: November 19, 2004, 12:22:00 PM »

Hi,
has anyone managed to get into the track/circuit map modding of PGR2?
Let's assume the files are open in the directory on the PC in a respective folders
what kind of extensions do they have are they compressed again?
I'm asking because it might be quite interesting to port some of the data like elevation or maybe more if possible to another games where a particular circuit is not present.

I know that this game is probably not as deeply explored as Halo2, GTA3 and others but any hints would come in handy. It seems to me there are a lot of bright people so any constructive comments are welcome. T.H.A.N.K.S.

PS skimmed through many thread already pls. no bashing me on that one  :beer:

I gather that some existing txd/dds export and other utilities created originally for Halo/GT3 might be used after some tweaking..?

This post has been edited by lodyha: Nov 19 2004, 08:42 PM

DOS4GW

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 08:35:00 AM »

What do you define map editing as? Texture and road editing?

I've edited tracks, but not texture and roads.

Each course is just different routs in one big track. Instead of saving all the courses as tracks which will take up alot of extra space they've saved the track and uses inis to create the courses.

I edited the inis and added a new course from one track with the whole track open, all fences removed.

Can be fun with one on one cat and mouse race in system link.

lodyha

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 09:17:00 AM »

Thanks for the reply!
So do I understand it right that there is only one giant data file for all the racing circuits where all the textures and road data are stored?

What is the file format of this big data pack? Is it possible to open it with some tools which are discussed here at the forum for other games?

What kind of information can be found in those .ini and how big they are? Are there some elevation, fences, trees, buildings related info or it just launches the road from that big track with textures?

I'm primarily interested in the 20km long Nurburgring Nordschleife track because this is a very rare cicrcuit considered by many as the ultimate racing event ever. It exists only in the upcoming GT4 for ps and in PGR2/xbox, for PC sims there are currently no quality version of this track because of its complexity - developers stay away from it despite popular demand to have it. I think it's reasonable to expect that they have used some standard editing tools to create it (3dmax) so some reverse engineering could possibly port it to another/PC platform and make it available to the eager community..

This post has been edited by lodyha: Nov 20 2004, 05:24 PM

Mr Clown

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 07:36:00 PM »

QUOTE (DOS4GW @ Nov 20 2004, 05:07 PM)
I edited the inis and added a new course from one track with the whole track open, all fences removed.

OMFG!!!

TELL ME HOW!!!! biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

DOS4GW

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 03:54:00 PM »

QUOTE (lodyha @ Nov 20 2004, 05:49 PM)
Thanks for the reply!
So do I understand it right that there is only one giant data file for all the racing circuits where all the textures and road data are stored?

Yes, more or less.

What is the file format of this big data pack? Is it possible to open it with some tools which are discussed here at the forum for other games?

Pak_*. I doubt you can use other apps. Even if maps often are called Pak / Pak_* a file called Pak most likely are not the same format as another file called Pak. Ie. Two kids named Will. Are they identical since they both have the same name? No...

What kind of information can be found in those .ini and how big they are? Are there some elevation, fences, trees, buildings related info or it just launches the road from that big track with textures?

You can check you Routes.ini. Not buildings. Only roads. All buildings, structures, etc. are just texture. If you leave the road you can drive right trough them. The only structures who's not only texture are moving objects. Like the boat in on the river in Paris.

I'm primarily interested in the 20km long Nurburgring Nordschleife track because this is a very rare cicrcuit considered by many as the ultimate racing event ever. It exists only in the upcoming GT4 for ps and in PGR2/xbox, for PC sims there are currently no quality version of this track because of its complexity - developers stay away from it despite popular demand to have it. I think it's reasonable to expect that they have used some standard editing tools to create it (3dmax) so some reverse engineering could possibly port it to another/PC platform and make it available to the eager community..

Well there aren't much you can do with the ring itself. It's just one way, not many small as in the cities.

Technicaly you can use the track on any game. It's basically just bits and bytes. However, you'd have to have serious skills. Ie. Be the game developer - To set things in a wider prespective I'd compare the question somewhat like asking if we could use the subway from Dope Wars in The Urbz...

QUOTE ((Mr Clown @ Nov 21 2004 @  04:39 AM))
TELL ME HOW!!!!

Peek into Routes.ini - you should see the consept pretty fast.

cgray526

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 07:09:00 PM »

Is it possible to add hills to tracks?

DOS4GW

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 01:00:00 AM »

No. (Well if you have access to Bungie's track editor, which only game developers have, yes.)

moniq

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 02:39:00 PM »

Alright, that's it...Which tracks did you make?  This is getting interesting.

Redneck427

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 08:26:00 AM »

damn i wish this game was available for PC, im a total noob at xbox modding, i look a info about mod chips and have absolutly no freakin idea what im looking at. though i could do some cool stuff with halo PC, but as for modding xbox games, i might as well not even try. and how are you supposed to connect ur box to a pc?
im so confused! huh.gif huh.gif  uhh.gif  uhh.gif

DOS4GW

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 10:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(Redneck427 @ Dec 22 2004, 05:29 PM)
damn i wish this game was available for PC, im a total noob at xbox modding, i look a info about mod chips and have absolutly no freakin idea what im looking at. though i could do some cool stuff with halo PC, but as for modding xbox games, i might as well not even try. and how are you supposed to connect ur box to a pc?
im so confused! :huh: :huh:  :uhh:  :uhh:

Make a post in the forum asking for a modder nearby you; Modchips forum.

teapot85

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 05:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(DOS4GW)

Exodus989

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 10:13:00 PM »

Ya, Same, here. I can't figure it out  :S  :?

teapot85

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 01:32:00 AM »

After many many months of occasional poking at the ini. I finally got it....or close enough, anyway.

CODE
[ROUTE]
Name = "Washington DC 0"
City = "Washington DC"
DisplayName = Washington DC 0
LeaderboardID = 270
NumSplits = 0
ID = 1001

That removes all the barriers from Washington DC, and lets you pootle just about everywhere. Although it is trial and error as to which roads are solid, and which ones send you falling a long way.  

user posted image

I'm gonna keep testing the other cities, but it's probably just similar to that one.

teapot85

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 02:07:00 AM »

Double Posting because I can't edit...... dry.gif

It seems I may have done something wrong with Washington, because I just edited Sydney, and all the barriers to keep me on the the roads are there, but the ones marking out individual tracks aren't.

CODE
[ROUTE]
Name = "Sydney 0"
City = "Sydney"
DisplayName = Sydney 0
LeaderboardID = 352
NumSplits = 0
ID = 1140

Hmm..... huh.gif

DOS4GW

• Archived User
Track/map Editing
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 03:14:00 PM »

There is nothing wrong with your configuration, it's how it is. Sidney is the only track  you really can use for game play if you don't know the other tracks well.
Pages: [1] 2