xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 250GB Xbox 360 HDD won't be sold separately  (Read 588 times)

bmwbmwbmw

• Archived User
250GB Xbox 360 HDD won't be sold separately
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(avatar1976 @ Sep 17 2009, 04:28 AM) *

I suspect it's more that they don't really care, from a podcast I listened to when the 120 gig drive came out Major Nelson (Larry) said that if you want to bring your own drive and void the warranty on your hard drive not to mention the effort it takes to make the drive work on the 360 they won't stop you or for $50 more then what it costs for the same sized laptop drive you can but the genuine 120gig drive.

Happen to have a link for that? Because I don't remember them saying any such thing.

Only one I found was this, and they're actually defending the retarded $179 launch price point:
http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/03/27/...-360-elite.aspx

pinkerton

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 03:31:00 AM »

Maybe after they've raked in the cash with the MW2 pack, they will finally release an empty HDD caddy and allow you to put an HDD of your choice in there!

Time to wake up  wacko.gif

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 05:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(bmwbmwbmw @ Sep 17 2009, 05:41 AM) *

Happen to have a link for that? Because I don't remember them saying any such thing.

Only one I found was this, and they're actually defending the retarded $179 launch price point:
http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/03/27/...-360-elite.aspx

I also remember Major Nelson saying that - no link though - it was quite some time back, when they announced the Elite.

QUOTE(trick91 @ Sep 17 2009, 04:05 AM) *

HAHA are you joking,  if they want to ban they will, not because of privacy laws.  using a SS.bin from the internet is illegal and if they want they can ban.

Could you please tell me how Microsoft could differentiate between their own drives with SS.bin & the exact same drive (make/model) with a SS.bin from elsewhere (internet)?
Unless every security sector was different (which i guess they are not), Microsoft are not going to be able to detect/ban you.

This post has been edited by K1LLERHORNET: Sep 17 2009, 12:09 PM

garyopa

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »

For those that can't wait until Nov. 10th here in North America to get their hands on the 250gb HDD, just fly over to UK on Oct. 23th, they are getting the 250gb bundle earlier but with Forza 3 instead.

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 06:56:00 AM »

Linky: Another 250GB 360 Bundle, This Time For Forza 3

This post has been edited by scuba156: Sep 17 2009, 02:53 PM

scuba156

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »

Just a reminder to all of you, talking off obtaining a HDD SS.bin file while implying you will not buy the official HDD is against forum rules

Mr Finisher

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(K1LLERHORNET @ Sep 17 2009, 08:56 AM) *

NEVER MIND...GOT MY ANSWER
THNX

This post has been edited by Mr Finisher: Sep 17 2009, 03:11 PM

schweitzer

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(K1LLERHORNET @ Sep 17 2009, 05:06 AM) *

I also remember Major Nelson saying that - no link though - it was quite some time back, when they announced the Elite.
Could you please tell me how Microsoft could differentiate between their own drives with SS.bin & the exact same drive (make/model) with a SS.bin from elsewhere (internet)?
Unless every security sector was different (which i guess they are not), Microsoft are not going to be able to detect/ban you.

I'm pretty sure the security sector contains the drives serial number.  That is why you have to flash compatible drives.  You reset their serial number to the one in the security sector.  If it didn't contain the serial, you wouldn't need to flash the drive.  So all the people who used a HDD SS.bin from online all have drives with the same serial number.

Mushy2000

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »

The reason they arn't selling this seperately is simple...

they would have to lower the prices of the other HDD's significantly to match a fair price for this hardrive if they priced it according to what they are currently pricing hdd's...

if they sold this seperately to be comparitive to the other hdd's it would have to cost around 215dollars...

which you could buy a totally new arcade for. obviously they are going to bundle it with a console, but I DO believe later in the future they will lower the prices of all HDD's and make this one a fair price comparitive to their other hdd's I'm guessing they would put this HDD for 130$ lower the 120gb to 69$

APE

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(K1LLERHORNET @ Sep 16 2009, 02:57 PM) *

Ummmm,

Anyone with common sense would soon realise that the only reason Microsoft is saying this is to 1) Get people that want a 250GB HDD to get this console. 2) and to get rid of the 120GB HDD's they have sitting in retail.
If people know the 250GB is coming out soon, they're gonna hold off/skip buying a 120GB.

Just wait until November/sooner, someone will dump the security sector & we will all praise them for it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I know that the 360's security is pretty tight, but Microsoft being able to read the SS.bin from the drive every time you switch on your console is a bit much.
Plus, it would probably infringe/breach some privacy laws & land them in deep trouble if anyone found out - it's just not worth the risk for them.

Yep.

As a result they piss people like me off and drive them to hacking a retail hdd for this instead just to give them the finger. I'd buy it, but at a reasonable price and ASAP; not as a bundle where I don't need another 360.

Makes business sense and since I'm the niche of a minority I don't matter too much.

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »

this will only be for a short time of course and then the 250 GB will make it to retail...

1nsan3

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »

m$ is going to loose alot of money. JUST sell the 250gig seperate, or yes it will get dumped and all that good stuff. BUT HEY ohwell YOUR LOSS OUR GAIN! suckers! once again way to use your heads m$

krizalid

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »

I think we all know what's going to happen and why microsoft doesn't want it released separatly.

First, Halo ODST backups ban, but Originals don't............hmm codded to the .xex maybe.

And now, think about it....... someone is going to get their hands on one of these babies and extract the necessary info so that HDDHacker can build your own home made 350 Gigs........... but, since microsoft never sold them separately and most probably have a work around the mobo key of the 250hdd released with it.

BAM!! Bans for everyone that is spotted with homemade 250 Gig drives built with HDDHacker.
Cause the HDD is now married to the mobo key as well.  blink.gif

If not the case, than the should be sold separately.

bmwbmwbmw

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »

Extremely unlikely. In that case, they would have to ban anyone who brings their 250GB to a friend's house.

Also, given the huge number of $60 modded 120GB drives that get sold on eBay, other auction sites, and Chinese/Hong Kong e-tailers, if they start banning modded drives, there will be a huge backlash from people who don't even know what modding is. It'll just be yet another black eye for them, and it doesn't really benefit them since they're barely selling any of the $150 120GB drives anyway.

M16GANKSTA

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »

I really like the look of the new 250 gig model of the 360.   Looks like a piece of military equipment (which was the goal) and you get MW2 to boot.  I think Microsoft is finding out that people  buy XBOX 360's just for certain games.  I did not get my 360 until GTA IV came out and bought an arcade because I needed an HDMI port.  Than I bought a 20 gig HDD but with all the DLC my drive is nearly full.  I want to buy a larger drive but the prices are ridiculous for these proprietary cdrives  (but isn't it always that way).   I think the prices of these drives need to come down because I don't even have enough space to install more than 1 full game.  If this or the elite had been available at a decent price when I bought my 360 I would have bought the 250 version...Why so stingy with storage Microsoft?!?!?. My DVR has a 500 gig ffs.  Really wish the 250 HDD will become available for sale in the future because I would like to install more games and XBLA but will remain on the fence until storage prices come down hopefully.  Oh well, the ipod and external USB HDD is top notch. 1 more USB port would have been nice but o well 3 is still good.
Pages: 1 [2] 3