xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 2 Red Lights On The Ring Of Light On Xbox 360 Console  (Read 58 times)

Mikerotch0

• Archived User
2 Red Lights On The Ring Of Light On Xbox 360 Console
« on: July 14, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »

Hi. I have a 2007 xbox 360 elite console and I modded it about a year ago. It was running perfectly until about 2 months ago when it got the 3 red lights. I opened up my console and tried to do some home style things, nothing too technical, but it didn't solve anything. So I left it alone.
Yesterday I went over my friends house who took a stab at fixing the console. He removed the heatsinks from both processing units and cleaned off the thermal compound MS uses. He then took a hairdryer to the GPU for about 2 minutes. After two minutes the xbox went into overheat mode and I deduced that we didn't get anywhere. We then went out and bought all the parts required for the x clamp mod. We followed a step by step guide on the internet. Screw, metal washer, nylon washer, motherboard, nylon washer, metal washer then finally heatsink. We wiped off all remnants of the older MS thermal compound and put on a different thermal paste. We then tightened all the screws and turned the console on. It worked and I went home.

After arriving home I decided to play Bioshock. After 10 minutes of playing I heard that the fans were running at high speeds. Much higher than before. I ignored them and continued playing. After another 2 minutes my console froze and went into two red lights mode. Not knowing what to do I took the console apart and started working at it. And here I am...

I've taken the heatsinks off and put them back on numerous times. I've taken the thermal paste off and replaced  it with Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound and it doesn't work. I've let it overheat and retightened the screws. That doesn't work. So my point is, nothing works!!! How do I fix this problem? Please help me!

coozco

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 01:10:00 AM »

had this same problem with a clients xbox.

It is most likely the ram chips.

if you can try to get the secondary error code. probably 0110.

if it is, it's a faulty solder joint with one of the ram chips.

You'll have to do the heatgun reflow method if you can.

Thats what i did and it solved the problem.

Mikerotch0

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »

Pardon me for sounding dumb but how do I do this RAM chip resolder method? Is there a tutorial online?

Mikerotch0

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »

My secondary error code is 0011 which is a screw connection error, or so I've heard. How do I solve this?