xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 2 Red Lights... Secondary Error Code 0013  (Read 154 times)

chatterx

• Archived User
2 Red Lights... Secondary Error Code 0013
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:08:00 AM »

Ok just to bring you guys up to speed here. I have a 360 manufactured in 2-26-2008, I am not sure what chip it has but it has that floating heatsink on it. It is a hdmi xbox.

I bought the box off of ebay and it played great for 2 months and then one morning I got the 2 red lights. opened the box up only to find out it had been into before and had the xclamp mod already done to it. I took the heatsinks off only to find way too much thermal compound used so I cleaned it off and applied the correct amount (size of a grain of rice spread out on the chips). I used arctic silver 5 and used all new hardware to put the heatsinks back on, I also installed a talismoon fan upgrade as well.

Xbox played great for 2 days with around 6 - 8 hours each day and then the third morning got the 2 red lights again. So I took it apart again and applied new thermal compound. Popped in halo 3 and left the sound down so I could listen to the fans. They gradually went from low to a high speed and then the video cut out and seconds later got the two red lights again....ggggrrr

I got the secondary error code of 0013 which XS Filter - 062508 - filtered.s gave me this description and fix

"This error appears when the RAM overheated, after that the xbox locks itself until it cooled the chip down.The reason for that is that the heat cant be dissipated to the heatsink/ the heatsink isnt cooled properly...In 99% of the cases it is a cold solder joint under one of the RAM bricks though.

Known fixes:
1)Replacing the X-Clamps/Applying new thermal compound
2) Putting the faulty RAM brick under pressure with a stack of pennies for example.
3) Reflowing the solder under the RAM with a heatgun"

My question is has anyone tried these fixes and how well do they work? Is there any other things to try not listed here?

Many thanx for your time guys and input, it is greatly appreciated

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 06:02:00 AM »

The  heatgun fix will do the trick!

ToBbErT

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »

Try heatgunning the mobo and get better cooling.

Heatgun tutorial

reddwarf

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(Flianti @ May 18 2009, 08:17 AM) *

Hi guys, I want to change my DVD drive to something that can be modded.
I have an old BENQ drive that I got from Hong Kong a while back, its NTSC-J, now if I put this drive into my console, will it make it NTSC-J?

At the same topic.. how do I change the DVD drive? I know how to flash a drive with jungle flasher, is it the same process?

Thanks!

I have done it many times and been successful, 2 red lights is always overheating something or other

chatterx

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »

many thanx for the link. I was afraid I would have to do the heat shield method.

However I do have some industrial fiberglass heat shielding, this stuff is like a 1/4 inch mat of fiberglass. We use it on our molds for rotational molding of plastic where we do not want plastic to form. I think this will work excellently for this.

Should I just do the 4 ram chips top and bottom.... or the gpu and cpu as well? Do I need to do both sides?

I have successfully done a ANA (e74) chip heat fix about 5 months ago and the box is still going strong.... I am just a little worried doing this around capacitors and all. Also I really dont want to get the chips too hot or it could mess them up right?

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 02:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(chatterx @ May 19 2009, 04:26 AM) *

many thanx for the link. I was afraid I would have to do the heat shield method.

However I do have some industrial fiberglass heat shielding, this stuff is like a 1/4 inch mat of fiberglass. We use it on our molds for rotational molding of plastic where we do not want plastic to form. I think this will work excellently for this.

Should I just do the 4 ram chips top and bottom.... or the gpu and cpu as well? Do I need to do both sides?

I have successfully done a ANA (e74) chip heat fix about 5 months ago and the box is still going strong.... I am just a little worried doing this around capacitors and all. Also I really dont want to get the chips too hot or it could mess them up right?

usually the problem is on the top RAM chips only. If it doesn't work , do the rest chips as well. But I don't think that doing the GPU will make any difference. It is only RAM located problem.

chatterx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 03:38:00 AM »

thanx for the reply, will give it a go tonight.

any suggestions on how to make the top ram chips have better contact with the heatsink?? Is the penny method tried and true?

seraph1m

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 03:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(chatterx @ May 19 2009, 10:30 AM) *

thanx for the reply, will give it a go tonight.

any suggestions on how to make the top ram chips have better contact with the heatsink?? Is the penny method tried and true?

I use these for my ram chips in a modded case where they fit.

(IMG:http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/cooling/Zalman_VF900Cu/Zalman_VF900Cu_RAM_Heat_Sink.jpg)

Chickan

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »

Best of luck with overheating ram chips, sometimes the thermistor goes and its toast.  Also I've had a few ram chips bridge on me by using too much heat, so as always, be careful and cautious.

carlitoB

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 06:15:00 AM »

I have a success story for 0013.

My 360 is a falcon elite mfr 2007-12-20

1st fix attempt
a) removed xclamps
b) heatgunned all 4 bottom rams only (so didnt have to worry about cooking caps)
c) did xclampfix with 1x 1mm steel washer over each ram under gpu heatsink with arctic silver 5

this worked for 1 day, next day 0013 again.

2nd attempt
a) removed heatsinks and washers etc
b) heatgunned all 8 rams (this time bothering to protect capasitors and do 100% properly)
c) put 1x 1mm steel washer over each ram under gpu heatsink

this worked for just shy of a week then 0013 ffs

3rd attempt
a) removed heatsinks and washers etc
b) heatgunned all 8 rams (protecting capasitors again)
c) put 2x 1mm steel washers side by side (NOT ontop of each other)over each ram under gpu heatsink

been going strong for about a month now. I have my 360 turned on for anywhere between 6 to 18 hours a day (lol) so pretty sure its fixed this time.

so with my personal experience the thing to do different to the xclamp fix is to use 2 washers on each ram under gpu heatsink side by side. This applies pressure to more of the ram chips. Also this creates more pressure near the corners of the ram chips. Using just 1 washer only applys pressure to the centre of the chip.

Good luck all.

This post has been edited by carlitoB: May 20 2009, 01:32 PM

chatterx

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 04:28:00 AM »

many thanx for the info carlitob.

Did you apply arctic silver the last time you did this with two washers on each ram chip?

carlitoB

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 07:11:00 AM »

yes i did put arctic silver 5 on the 2 ram chips next to the gpu. the other 2 ram chips on the top of the board i had to leave as standard with no heatsinks etc or pressure as the copper pipe that comes out of the revised gpu heatsink gets in the way. on the underside of board i just use the standard 4x microsoft pads on the rams.
i guess it seems in my case the ram chip that was giving me 0013 was 1 on top of the board next to gpu. i guess this could be different in other cases. however, im guessing the 2 im on about suffer the most heat, therefore, are the most likely to be the cause.

This post has been edited by carlitoB: May 21 2009, 02:15 PM

darealmastad

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »

I had this problem on two boxes I fixed with the xclamp fix. The washer made it sit too high and was causing it to overheat so I took all the washer off and tighting the screws with my fingers so it was "snug". I haven't had a problem with overheating, but who or what knows but time.