xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Datel Hacks Xbox360 Memory Card Protection - 2/4GB Memcards  (Read 969 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

Datel Hacks Xbox360 Memory Card Protection - 2/4GB Memcards
Posted by XanTium | May 13 19:13 EST | News Category: Xbox360

Datel launched a 2GB (40 USD) and 4GB (50 USD) Memory Card compatible with the Xbox360. It even includes a Micro SD slot for more memory (up to 16GB). Afaik this is the first unofficial memory card for the Xbox360 (unlike normal USB memory sticks/hdds these can be used as real memory card to store gamesaves and XBL content). Looks like Datel managed to bypass/hack the protection Microsoft uses on their memcards.

From codejunkies.com:

MAX Memory 4GB is a 100% compatible memory card for the Xbox 360 that includes an incredible 4GB of high speed flash memory - that's 64x the size of a standard 360 memory card!

If you don't have a hard drive you're going to need a memory card if you want to use Xbox L!ve, save your progress in games or make use of new content like themes or expansions; MAX Memory is the perfect choice for storing and transporting all this content.

By including a massive 4GB of storage capacity, MAX Memory is a fantastic value alternative to a hard drive. What makes MAX Memory even better value is the fact that it can be expanded using any Micro SD memory card, including SDHC (High Capacity) up to an incredible 16GB. Since Micro SD is one of the best value memory formats available, MAX Memory can be expanded to provide all the save capacity you'll ever need at a minimum cost.

MAX Memory is the only Xbox 360 memory card to offer all of these features:
    * 100% compatible with Xbox 360
    * Huge 4GB of storage capacity - 64x the size of a standard memory card
    * Expandable up to 16GB with snap-in Micro SD cards
    * Backup, restore and access files from your PC
    * Plug-and-Play

Official Site: http://codejunkies.com

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »

MAX Memory is the only Xbox 360 memory card to offer all of these features:
* 100% compatible with Xbox 360

Or until Microsoft updates its dashboard to render it useless.

But if it continues to work it will be a good alternative for those without a hard drive.

But you should be able to pickup a second hand 20GB drive for cheaper than the $40 to $50 price they are asking for this.

wawnord

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »

60 GB HDD or 4 GB MUMAX for near the same price...let me guess laugh.gif  laugh.gif

BTW: MS ist watching YOU and the risk of a XBL Ban is very high.

It's a not allowed extern hardwaremodification and everybody should know that MS can see this

darkshadow2k8

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »

damn so they hacked the protection before we could lol well at least its a start somewhere but hearing homebrew on this system will really make my day

scuba156

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »

I dont see consumers getting the stick for this, but Datel as any company that wishes to make third party hardware for the Xbox 360 HAS to pay royalties to license the security on the hardware.

I can see this company going broke very soon

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »

WOW - i want one of these

A bit pricey imo - hopefully i'll be able to grab one for around half that price.

Maybe i'll just sell my 512mb & 256mb memory units & buy one of these (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by K1LLERHORNET: May 14 2009, 01:39 AM

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »

This seems really good news to me  biggrin.gif . Finally we don't need to pay over the odds for Microsoft's proprietary cards!. When you're asking £30 for a measly 512mb of storage it's no surprise a company like Datel has released something like this.
QUOTE(scuba156 @ May 14 2009, 12:19 AM) View Post

I dont see consumers getting the stick for this, but Datel as any company that wishes to make third party hardware for the Xbox 360 HAS to pay royalties to license the security on the hardware.

I can see this company going broke very soon
I don't think they're in any danger. They've been producing unofficial 3rd party console peripherals for years and are an above board company. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that as long as you make it very clear your products are unofficial and you don't use any patented technologies or use any copyrighted material then you can produce/sell whatever you please. You don't pay any royalties to a company if you are in no way associated with them. They aren't like Madcatz who produce officially licensed 3rd party peripherals which won't invalidate your 360's warranty and can carry licensed branding etc. I do see what you're saying about the security on the hardware but I doubt they'd release this product if they hadn't found a way around using Microsoft's copyrighted code.

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »

if you think about it, this a pretty awesome hack.

you can now essentially have the space of 3 hard rives connected to your console at any given time:

HDD: 120GB
MU A: 16GB (more usable space than a 20GB HDD!)
MU B: 16GB

maybe they'll release one that supports 32GB/64GB cards at a later date biggrin.gif

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »

The 16GB limitation could be due to the 360 itself, though with the cost of SD cards dropping everyday, it won't be long before this device + a 64GB SDHC card would be cheaper than a 60GB Microsoft HDD.

crocoplhk

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »

I really like this, it will be a good way to backup DLC, plus it gives more options to the consumer..

I wonder if MS will ban people for using non-MS hardware like this?

hopefully this will open the door for other fun stuff..

highbomber

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »

When will we be able to emulate the software on this memory card to a USB stick?

KaylaKaze

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »

Looks like someone hasn't read the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

shadowth

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »

Isn't the memory card security similar to the hard disk's? Isn't the size of the memory unit in a signed sector, therefore, unable to me modified?

Does anyone know how did they accomplish this?

m82a1

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »

thats pretty cool, i like how we can use microSD's, its all i have in this house lol

rhpenguin

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(KaylaKaze @ May 13 2009, 07:57 PM) View Post

Looks like someone hasn't read the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

If they're not an American company it doesn't apply. And wouldn't you know it, they're out of the UK.

American law doesn't equal "world law".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6