xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Soldering Benq Pcp Board  (Read 55 times)

homer360

• Archived User
Soldering Benq Pcp Board
« on: March 01, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »

Hey guys, I've run into a problem in an attempt to switch out the pcp boards from a Benq drive to another. It seems that there is some kind of glue at the soldering points on the board that my soldering iron doesn't seem to want to melt. I'm not an expert at soldering, but it does appear that the iron is in fact getting as hot as it regularly should. Did others run into this problem? Is my soldering iron just not powerful enough? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

homer360

• Archived User
Soldering Benq Pcp Board
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 03:52:00 PM »

Anyone?  I assume a  heat gun  might do the job...would http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=66001 be sufficient?  I'm debating on going up to the local harbor freight today and getting one.  Any help is appreciated.

d-2-d

• Archived User
Soldering Benq Pcp Board
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 05:52:00 PM »

What is the wattage of the iron?

Heat gun would melt it a lot faster....friend of mine picked one up for 16 bucks at "Big Lots", its a cheap version but gets the job done.

homer360

• Archived User
Soldering Benq Pcp Board
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 06:02:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply d-2-d.  I'm using a 30 watt soldering iron.  I have a heat gun, but am reticent to use it because i don't want to damage the board (plus i've never used one before).  Is there a safe way to go about using a heat gun?  how close to the board do i have to get it to get the glue hot enough to scrape off?

RDC

• Archived User
Soldering Benq Pcp Board
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 06:19:00 PM »

Some patience wouldn't hurt, a forum isn't a live help board.

If you're soldering iron isn't melting the solder then ya either need to take better care of the tip on the thing or get a new one. A heat gun is severe overkill for swapping Logic boards, you'll torch the wires and connectors long before the solder melts, so forget that route.

The only thing you'd need a heat gun or something similar for is if you're trying to remove the epoxy over the chip that has the key, if all you're doing is swapping boards and are going to reflash the new one then a soldering iron is all ya need.

Why swap the Logic board anyway? Be much easier to just reflash the new drive with your old drives FW, unless all ya bought was the board.

homer360

• Archived User
Soldering Benq Pcp Board
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 08:23:00 PM »

Thanks for all the help guys.  My soldering iron was done, I last used it for my car a couple of years ago and it was in deplorable shape.  Got a new one and the job is done.   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)