xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Easiest Way To 12v The Fans-wont This Break Them?  (Read 94 times)

AJShinal

• Archived User
Easiest Way To 12v The Fans-wont This Break Them?
« on: March 01, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »

I dont understand the guide in the faq/tut. pinned post. why would you want to 12v the fans? obviously you dont want to make them weaker, so im assuming your making them stronger. but putting more voltage through the fans than they are designed for, will eventually damage them.

i understand how to do it, but i dont really get what purpose it serves

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »

The fans are 12v. The 360 just runs them at anything from 5v to 12v depending on how hot it is and to keep the noise down, running them at 12v all the time isn't harmful to them in any way and ya get a lot more airflow than the 5v they run at most of the time, just really noisy at 12v is all.

This post has been edited by RDC: Mar 1 2009, 11:35 PM

d-2-d

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »

I always thought that running a fan at full speed continuously would burn the motor out faster....

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »

Running it at it's rated voltage isn't going to hurt it any more than running it at half that voltage. It may last a little longer running it at less, but if it's gonna go it's gonna go no matter what ya run it at, provided ya don't go over the maximum rating for it.

AJShinal

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »

thanks RDC i didnt know the box moderated their power, it makes more sense now. im gonna use that 'easiest way to 12v the fans' guide now.