xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Trying To Make My Xbox Overheat.  (Read 142 times)

paveynick

• Archived User
Trying To Make My Xbox Overheat.
« on: December 13, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »

The 3 red lights means it basically isnt working, hence it's not getting hot. Get your secondary error code and let us know.

Hold sync, press eject 4 times.

Count how many red lights you get each press.

Arakon

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 03:21:00 AM »

why the hell do you want to make it overheat? just stab a screwdriver into it a few times.
overheating will NOT fix a RROD, it will only cause more damage and more board warping.

deadpool66

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(Arakon @ Dec 14 2008, 11:57 AM) View Post

why the hell do you want to make it overheat? just stab a screwdriver into it a few times.
overheating will NOT fix a RROD, it will only cause more damage and more board warping.

Xclamp replacement calls for a bake overheating the xbox duh! I believe he saying it wont overheat with the fans disconnected which means you probably broke a trace or somthing during dissasembley.

BlackWar

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 04:15:00 AM »

I know what he is doing....basicly, you did the x-clamp fix, and put it together before testing it, right? Now, after all is said and done (did the fix, put it together, turned it on) it still gives the rrod?

The first time I fixed mine I did the exact same thing, and had the exact same results. here is what I did.

With the unit fully assembled, I completely wrapped the unit in a towel BUT left the front unwrapped, so 5 of the 6 sides was wrapped, and so I could watch the leds and manually feel how hot it was getting.

Now, with it wrapped like that, I turned it on and every 30 seconds or so I would place my hand on top of the unit (between the 360 and towel) so I could feel how hot it was getting. I did this for about 2~4 mins (NOTE: the unit never overheated, didnt let it get that far). When it felt that it was getting rather warm, I turned it off, unrapped it and let sit until it was fully cooled down. ever sense then the most I had to do to mine was to take the bottom case off to re-tighten the black screws. other then that it has worked like a champ.

WARNING:WARNING:WARNING!!!!!!!

Please keep this in mind about using the towel trick....if you go to far with it (let it heat up too far), it can cause more damage to your 360, possibly to the point of no return.

blackg1000

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(census007 @ Dec 13 2008, 10:25 PM) View Post

I just got done replacing my x-clamp and im trying to make my xbox overheat.
but when i plug it in i get the 3 red lights but the xbox isnt getting hot. it been on for 20 min
and its still cold. am i doing something wrong.
Thanks.

Are you turning on your xbox without the fans and the air duct attached? I know that if you do this then eventually you WILL get 2 red lights. This is acceptable in the method for x-clamp replacements and is 'baking' the processors. Obviously knowing the error code helps but try this aswell if you haven't already.

Millerboy3

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(blackg1000 @ Dec 15 2008, 09:46 AM) View Post

Are you turning on your xbox without the fans and the air duct attached? I know that if you do this then eventually you WILL get 2 red lights. This is acceptable in the method for x-clamp replacements and is 'baking' the processors. Obviously knowing the error code helps but try this aswell if you haven't already.

DO NOT DO THAT!!!!  you will cook the CPU when in most cases thats not the problem (unless the error codes calls for it then go for it!) the cpu gets cool much better than the gpu does. what you need to do is reassemble and put the fans atop the dvd drive with one atop the cpu to keep it cooled while overheating the gpu only.

blackg1000

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(Millerboy3 @ Dec 15 2008, 02:55 PM) View Post

DO NOT DO THAT!!!!  you will cook the CPU when in most cases thats not the problem (unless the error codes calls for it then go for it!) the cpu gets cool much better than the gpu does. what you need to do is reassemble and put the fans atop the dvd drive with one atop the cpu to keep it cooled while overheating the gpu only.

Thats why I asked him to provide the error codes. Either way, I've lost count how many 3RROD I have fixed, every one pretty much a success and all have had this done to them. I don't get the reason why this would 'cook' the CPU, its not near hot enough. Christ, heatgunning it would kill it if this was true. As soon as the 2 red lights come on the CPU and GPU start to cool down anyway, let it cool right down after 10 minutes, turn on the xbox and it works. Im not discounting your method, Im saying that the one I suggested will work and has done for a very long time on any error code that requires the x-clamp replacement.

checker6

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »

Guys, the only thing that causes it not to get hot is if it is completely failing and not just from a warning flag.  That means he probably cracked one of his dye either the cpu or gpu.  Actually i would put money on it that is the exact problem.  There is a slight chance he snapped something else off, but this is definitely caused by a catastrophic failure on a hardware level.

Danny-boy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(blackg1000 @ Dec 15 2008, 04:24 PM) View Post

Thats why I asked him to provide the error codes. Either way, I've lost count how many 3RROD I have fixed, every one pretty much a success and all have had this done to them. I don't get the reason why this would 'cook' the CPU, its not near hot enough. Christ, heatgunning it would kill it if this was true. As soon as the 2 red lights come on the CPU and GPU start to cool down anyway, let it cool right down after 10 minutes, turn on the xbox and it works. Im not discounting your method, Im saying that the one I suggested will work and has done for a very long time on any error code that requires the x-clamp replacement.

I agree, I use this technique every time too, 100% success so far, 5 fixes

QUOTE(checker6 @ Dec 15 2008, 05:13 PM) View Post

Guys, the only thing that causes it not to get hot is if it is completely failing and not just from a warning flag.  That means he probably cracked one of his dye either the cpu or gpu.  Actually i would put money on it that is the exact problem.  There is a slight chance he snapped something else off, but this is definitely caused by a catastrophic failure on a hardware level.

20 mins does seem excessive, though I'm sure 1 of mine did heat up with 3 red lights at first, so I would be looking for another reason too.