xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Tutorial: Experimental 360 Rrod Fix With Your Oven!  (Read 710 times)

killamayne

• Archived User
Tutorial: Experimental 360 Rrod Fix With Your Oven!
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »

it depends on the condition of the motherboard and GPU. i received a free 360 from a customer who didnt want his console anymore and i took it. It had the x-clamps removed. I did the "reflow" and still 0102. I would be lucky and get it show green lights but later down, it would go RROD again. So it just depends on the motherboard.  

My personal system been up for months now with this fix and its a old 2006 system. Results may vary.

GamerBR

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »

I was searching for a topic like this but couldn't find this one,I've been thinking about doing this.But my only concern is that unlike you I don't think leaving the underneath unprotected is safe,if the solder is melting wouldn't gravity just deattach all the resistors and SMD parts of the unprotected parts from the underside?I don't get it.

This post has been edited by GamerBR: Jan 22 2009, 06:25 PM

GamerBR

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 04:12:00 AM »

I did mine today,I did not felt it was safe to leave the underside unprotected so I just left the upper part of the GPU uncovered(my problem is on it,and it's a falcon,so I didn't feel any need to reflow the solder on the cpu).

I used much more t-shirts then you did,I've used six.Instead of using thermal tape I would reccomend using a micropore surgical tape,it didn't smoke here.As I left only the upper part of the gpu uncovered I left it on a pre-heated oven for 17 minutes at 255°C,I think unlike you guys I used a kitchen stove oven,so it's much bigger than the motherboard.

I can't say it was sucessful yet,as it was working before,I did the x-clamp mod but at this point I would have to heat the board by disabing the fans almost every other day.At least it's still working. smile.gif

adrenaline_X

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »

i been playing COD 4 quite a bit on my 360 as of late and it is still going after the longer oven baking.

The reason you want to leave the bottom exposed is because you need to transfer the through the board so that both the gpu and the motherboard are at nearly identical tempatures.. If you just heat the gpu you are not going to create a good bond.

so.. MAKE SURE HEAT IS REACHING THE TOP AND THE BOTTOM OF THE BOARD.

I might even put my x-clamps back on if it breaks again.. I'm thinking the x-clamp is causing my issues now smile.gif

adrenaline_X

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(GamerBR @ Jan 23 2009, 05:48 AM) View Post

I did mine today,I did not felt it was safe to leave the underside unprotected so I just left the upper part of the GPU uncovered(my problem is on it,and it's a falcon,so I didn't feel any need to reflow the solder on the cpu).

I used much more t-shirts then you did,I've used six.Instead of using thermal tape I would reccomend using a micropore surgical tape,it didn't smoke here.As I left only the upper part of the gpu uncovered I left it on a pre-heated oven for 17 minutes at 255°C,I think unlike you guys I used a kitchen stove oven,so it's much bigger than the motherboard.

I can't say it was sucessful yet,as it was working before,I did the x-clamp mod but at this point I would have to heat the board by disabing the fans almost every other day.At least it's still working. smile.gif

did you do the cooling mods?

GamerBR

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2009, 01:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(adrenaline_X @ Jan 26 2009, 05:54 PM) View Post

did you do the cooling mods?

IPB Image

Enough? laugh.gif .The fans are running at 9v.

YoungGeekGuy

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »

I fixed a friends with this, here's my Youtube of it:
Thanks so much for the idea, my parents didn't quite like it but it worked. My uncle suggested I try using aluminum tape instead of electrical, so if I ever do it again, I'll pick up some of that.

killamayne

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(YoungGeekGuy @ Feb 11 2009, 03:52 PM) *

I fixed a friends with this, here's my Youtube of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5AZMcGwbW8
Thanks so much for the idea, my parents didn't quite like it but it worked. My uncle suggested I try using aluminum tape instead of electrical, so if I ever do it again, I'll pick up some of that.

wtf is that? u just showed the motherboard for like 5 mins...LOL

YoungGeekGuy

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »

Ya sorry rolleyes.gif that's what happens when your tired and board.

Lugnut

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »

well hate to bring up an older thread but just to update for some people who had followed this before, the final oven reflowed 360 finally kicked the bucket yesterday with its 0102.  This board i know for a fact the gpu reflowed because at peak temp i nudged the gpu and it moved ever so slightly then resettled back into position. I'm really starting to think alot of cases of rrod might have nothing to do with the actual solder ball connections.  I busted one of the gpu's apart and by looking at the cross cut section of how its constructed I'm starting to think the copper pillars ( or whatever you call them) inside the chip's board  are what is actually disconnecting.  Thus why the overheating, heatgunning can work as it expands the copper and reconnects it for awhile. xclamp fix might be the same thing as it now puts an upward bend along the outside of the chip and forces a reconnect internally.

oh well my final analysis is as everyone else has said for awhile.  Once you get rrod. it will come again. Depends how hard you push the system's of course but it will come.  If your a casual couple hour a week gamer, then your system might last you years.  if your a hardcore gamer then month's if your lucky.

lycanwrath

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »

Hello,

Will this fix help me get rid of error 0110?

Has any1 ever tried to fix error 0110 with this trick?

lycanwrath

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »

Well I got my answer already smile.gif

I tried the oven trick and my 360 is now up and running.

adrenaline_X I think you should add error 0110 as well to the list of errors this trick can fix wink.gif

4wheelsare2many

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2009, 03:56:00 AM »

Guys;

What about error code 0101 ?

I had freeze-ups only (no Rrod), did the x-clamp fix and it worked great for nearly 8 months. Suddenly, I got the 1,3,4 Rrod with error code 0101. I have re-tried the x-clamp fix 3-4 times now to no avail. Am I left with this oven trick as my last-resort option, and of course, has anyone done it for 0101? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

4wheelsare2many

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »

I tried it today. Nope...no joy. I did everything according to the tutorial except the blue putty rings to seal off the goodies from damage. I used plenty of Alum. tape for that instead. I gave it 9 minutes in a preheated 500 degree oven and it's still the same problem. Doesn't work for 0101, or doesn't work for MY particular Mobo. Dissappointing to say the least. Oh well...it's finally time for another machine I guess...

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2009, 01:55:00 AM »

I don't knwo anyone that could fix this error, yet. Try BGA rework station with full reballing procedure on GPU and CPU. Worth a try...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4