xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Rrod Fix...  (Read 94 times)

xTKxhom3r

• Archived User
Rrod Fix...
« on: October 11, 2008, 03:49:00 AM »

hey iv fixed several rrod problems for other ppl but

today my xbox got the rrod.... so i figured ok no problem simple xclamp fix will do it... no it didnt do it

i busted out the heatsinks cleaned everything added some new tim and got rid of the xclamps for some bolts and washers...

when i turned it on to let it cook. it never cooked..... i left it on for a while and the heatsinks never got hot not even warm

its one of the "new" xboxs i think it has the falcon board (aluminum cpu heatsink and extended gpu heatsink)

so i pluged everything in (fans,cd drive) and still no go

the fans turn on your half a sec and turn off and the rrod starts... what can be the problem? why doesnt it overheat?

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
Rrod Fix...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(xTKxhom3r @ Oct 11 2008, 12:25 PM) *

hey iv fixed several rrod problems for other ppl but

today my xbox got the rrod.... so i figured ok no problem simple xclamp fix will do it... no it didnt do it

i busted out the heatsinks cleaned everything added some new tim and got rid of the xclamps for some bolts and washers...

when i turned it on to let it cook. it never cooked..... i left it on for a while and the heatsinks never got hot not even warm

its one of the "new" xboxs i think it has the falcon board (aluminum cpu heatsink and extended gpu heatsink)

so i pluged everything in (fans,cd drive) and still no go

the fans turn on your half a sec and turn off and the rrod starts... what can be the problem? why doesnt it overheat?

We need the error code to determine the source of the issue properly, by your story I would bet my money on 0001 or 0003 though....

xTKxhom3r

• Archived User
Rrod Fix...
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »

hey thanks for your reply Wilhelm_I i was starting to think no one knew what was wrong with my xbox....

the error code i pull out is 0031... iv never heard of that code and i cant seem to pull any info on it just to make sure i have the right code this is what i see   4 4 3 1   those are the lights that come on when im pulling the code

thanks again for trying to help me i really appreciate it

xTKxhom3r

• Archived User
Rrod Fix...
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »

ok i think i fixed it bro!! i loosened up the screws for the heatsinks and it booted up normaly... so i let it cook and now it looks like its working fine!!! i guess the screws were flexing the board to much or something but i dont understand why iv never had this problem before... ill report back if it fails again..

btw i left the screws loosened  up a bit not to tight but not to lose you know...

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
Rrod Fix...
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 05:44:00 AM »

I have updated the error code data base, thanks for your support, have added you as a reference...
Here is the link http://xbox-experts.com/e/errorcode.php?s=0031

Dolbuck

• Archived User
Rrod Fix...
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »

The same happened to me a couple of days ago. I heat gunned a Zephyr mobo, following Wilhelm_I´s tut, put thermal paste and x-clamp replacement. As many other, I couldn´t find the exact set of metal washers, and had to use tiny o-ring´s rubber seals instead oh plastic/fiber washers. Anyway, when I turned it on, it gave me that 0031 code, I figured the heat gunning had trashed, looked for the code meaning and went thorugh some older posts and find out that if you tighten the screws too much or unevenly, the GPU heatsink comes in contact with some of the resistors on top of it, causing that error code.
It could also be a faulty RAM brick, fourtunately it wasn´t, and now my xbox runs once again!!!!!! let´s see how much it lasts.................

xTKxhom3r

• Archived User
Rrod Fix...
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(Wilhelm_I @ Oct 12 2008, 07:20 AM) *

I have updated the error code data base, thanks for your support, have added you as a reference...
Here is the link http://xbox-experts.com/e/errorcode.php?s=0031

nice! i feel like i did something for the community now haha btw my xbox is still working good

acemelhaz

• Archived User
Rrod Fix...
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »

hi im new to all this my new 360 i got has this error code 0031 , im not sure what screws you are refering to to loosen is anybody from portsmouth who can help me , i dont want to send to ms as i will get a lite on back . are the heatsink screws on mptherboard or is it the 8 screws holding the main metal plate on , i would rather get someone to try who knows what they are doing thanks