xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Elite - 2 Lights Of Death - No Artifacts - Fan Overdrive  (Read 146 times)

pastortom

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Elite - 2 Lights Of Death - No Artifacts - Fan Overdrive
« on: September 24, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »

Hi guys..

Got a Xbox 360 Elite thats about 6months old, it suddenly started shutting off (NO artifacts, only fan on full-speed for about 5-10 secs before it turned off).. and I could turn it back on, and play for another 5 minutes.. i could keep this up for 30-40 minutes before it finally just shows 2 lights of death at bootup..

No errorcode..

based on my experience fixing RROD's (done about 30 of them) and based on my general knowledge with consoles and computers, I concluded that the "high-speed-fan" issue was most likely related to the CPU not getting enough cooling.. since the GPU didnt show any typical malfunctions (like artifacts, not booting up straight after 2-RLOD, etc), and in other cases where the fan would hit fullspeed in 1 second was related to CPU, not GPU..  (not thinking of gradually getting to full speed within 10-15seconds)..

So i installed x-clamp-fix on the CPU alone, and went over the motherboard with a heating gun (CPU arena, underneath and ontop).. tried it again after it had cooled down, but same malfunction..

Then I Installed x-clamp-fix on the GPU as well, went over the ram chips underneath and on top with a heating gun, and also over the GPU area underneath and on top..  (<==which is the normal method I do on every RROD xbox 360.. a GPU-only x-clamp-fix)

let it cool, and booted it up, and it worked fine.. for 4 hours,.. I gave it back to the customer, and he tried it out for about 15 more hours and suddenly the same malfunction came again.. high-speed-fan really quick then shut down and 2-rlod..

Now, what is your suggestions x-scene members?

Go over the ram chips again with a heating gun? This time hotter?

Go over the GPU and CPU area really long with aheating gun?

My earlier heating-gun routines on RROD-fixing has been to heat it up for about 30 seconds on fullspeed.. so it gets really hot, (moving the heating gun at all times ofcourse), but I still can touch it for about 2-3 seconds..  and this has proven to be much more effective than the 20-minute heatup with no fan..

Would love some feedback here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And Im not mistaken to think that the immediate high-speed-fan is related to the CPU and not the GPU when no artifacts are shown? especially considering after some attempts it even happened in the XBox 360 dashboard (without any game running) so cant be GPU can it?

Perhaps its the memory chips?

Arakon

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »

neither 30 second heatgunning nor overheating the console will do shit. the solder has to melt. that means the surface of the chips ends up being even hotter than the solder melting point of the balls below. ever try touching liquid solder? if you can touch the chips without leaving burnt skin sticking to them, it's not hot enough.

pastortom

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(Arakon @ Sep 24 2008, 09:52 PM) *
neither 30 second heatgunning nor overheating the console will do shit. the solder has to melt. that means the surface of the chips ends up being even hotter than the solder melting point of the balls below. ever try touching liquid solder? if you can touch the chips without leaving burnt skin sticking to them, it's not hot enough.

Wont it overheat the ram chips though?

Got this heatgun:
 (IMG:http://www.supremefactory.com/supreme/support/fr-sol-a8032/images/fr-sol-a8032.jpg)

Got it on max setting, running back and forth for approx. 30 secs on the ram as well as the CPU/GPU area..

Wont the CPU/GPU fall off if I let it run any longer?

And you dont mean letting the heatgun stay at one place right? Always moving it back and forth as Ive always done?

gatorayde

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »

The thermal paste may have gotten too thin over time and not made a good enough connection between the die and the heatsink. So, did you replace the thermal paste?

supersdude1691

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »

You should preheat the board for at least 1 minute, then switch to high setting, and heat the cpu/gpu area for at least 3-4 minutes. it will take that long for the all of the solder joints to become molten and "reflow". don't worry about the chips falling off, as long as your board is on a flat surface and dont move it you should be fine. It's imperative to leave the board alone for 45 minutes after heat-gunning to give the solder a substantial amount of time to harden.

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(supersdude1691 @ Sep 25 2008, 04:09 AM) *

You should preheat the board for at least 1 minute, then switch to high setting, and heat the cpu/gpu area for at least 3-4 minutes. it will take that long for the all of the solder joints to become molten and "reflow". don't worry about the chips falling off, as long as your board is on a flat surface and dont move it you should be fine. It's imperative to leave the board alone for 45 minutes after heat-gunning to give the solder a substantial amount of time to harden.

Ye, dont worry, just follow the instructions in my tutorial and everything will be good the link is in my signature...

Flabster

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 06:31:00 AM »

Hi There  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Mine Does the same thing:

Xbox booting up just fine after 2-5 minutes of gaming the fans go nuts and the xbox shuts down with to red lights in the left side and i get the error code 0012.

Will  "Wilhelm's Improved X-Clamp replacement" Fix this problem?

Regards From Denmark