xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 2 Ring Of Death/overheating The Cpu  (Read 53 times)

Ves1011

• Archived User
2 Ring Of Death/overheating The Cpu
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »

Also the Powerbrick is a used one, and turns yellow whenever it's plugged in. (even when it's just plugged into the wall or surge protector.

chrjd12

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »

Do you know what secondary code you were getting before you did the x-clamp fix?

If you get two red lights the main power is cut off from the board to prevent overheating damage to the chips. The fans will turn off at this time as well.

What method of x-clamp fix did you use?  Assuming you are using high quality Silver compound - did you put the correct amount on the chip dies. Also if your heatsink is not applying equal  or not enough pressure you can cause this issue.

The power brick will stay and amber color until you power on the 360. Amber means standby green means go red (your f@@@@) lol.

Ves1011

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »

Hey, thanks for the response.  But I ended up taking off the heatsinks, recleaning and applying my thermal compound (arctic silver).  I also took a look at a newer x-clamp replacement tutorial which said the heatsink and cpu/pcu had to be 2mm apart or else overheating.  So I got rid of the metal washer and the nylon washer was 2mm.  put it all back together.  Had to let it overheat (this time with the fans still on) and after a bit it worked.  I've played gta4 for a couple hours tonight.

My next activity is to flash the DVD drive's firmware.  (I also have questions about that.  Like, does it matter what version of MTKFlash I have, and why does this one tutorial say to have mtkflash.exe and mtkflash.typ?  (also two modded fw .bins, not just one)

Anyway, help on that would be great, I'm going to make an effort to flash it tomorrow.

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 12:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ves1011 @ Aug 12 2008, 08:07 AM) View Post

Hey, thanks for the response.  But I ended up taking off the heatsinks, recleaning and applying my thermal compound (arctic silver).  I also took a look at a newer x-clamp replacement tutorial which said the heatsink and cpu/pcu had to be 2mm apart or else overheating.  So I got rid of the metal washer and the nylon washer was 2mm.  put it all back together.  Had to let it overheat (this time with the fans still on) and after a bit it worked.  I've played gta4 for a couple hours tonight.

My next activity is to flash the DVD drive's firmware.  (I also have questions about that.  Like, does it matter what version of MTKFlash I have, and why does this one tutorial say to have mtkflash.exe and mtkflash.typ?  (also two modded fw .bins, not just one)

Anyway, help on that would be great, I'm going to make an effort to flash it tomorrow.

Read this...
http://www.360mods.n...ails/id=61.html