xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Benq Atx Psu  (Read 139 times)

DragonSlayer1987

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »

Remove wire from pin 3, maybe?

http://dwl.xbox-scen...-HandC-V1_4.pdf
Page 13

lessweightgofaster

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »

I just makin a molex to dvd drive cable, disconnect 3 and 4 from the 3.3v supply, you may need to put a momentary switch on pin 3 (and 0v) to get it to eject as i couldnt get mine to eject through windows, tho it was 3am and may not of been very awake! I hopefully doing the eject button tonight.
Cheers
Ian

jbudd0649

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »

Thanks guys Ill give it a try.

jbudd0649

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »

So unfortunately, those suggestions didn't work.  How did your adapter work out ?

DragonSlayer1987

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »

Are you using the program to eject or using a momentary switch wired between pin 3 and ground?

I don't think you can use the eject option on the program the way you have the drive connected. You need a normally open momentary switch wired between pin 3 and ground pin, press and tray should open. You can test by touching wires together if no switch.
Not 100% as I base this on the data sheet but worth a try.

jbudd0649

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:35:00 AM »

I tried it with and with out the switch tied to pin 3 and ground. It makes no difference. Nothing happens when I push the switch.

I'm trying to figure out why the DVD drive locks windows up. I think that is the real root of my problem but maybe I'm wrong. Currently pins 5,7,9,11 are tied to ground. Pin 10,12 are tied to 12v . Pins 3,4 are disconnected. Pin 8 is going to 5v. Pin 6 is tied to 3.3v. Like I said I put a switch on pin 3 and ground and it made no difference. Thanks again for the help this is a great forum.

lessweightgofaster

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »

Hi, i not had time to play much yet, but are you hot plugging it onto your pc? Mine freezes sometimes if i plug it in while windows is running. Also sometimes i noticed there is a delay when windows is starting if im flashing a drive, think it tries to lookup the drive but cant because it not on win compatible firmware.
Maybe try a driver update, what sata chipset are you using ?
Cheers
Ian

jbudd0649

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »

I have tried hot plugging, and I started windows with it plugged in. Windows can see the drive fine. In hardware manager it shows vadxxxx under DVD/cd-rom drives. When I right click on it under my computer Windows freezes. I have an EVGA 780i chipset. Also, if I use the xbox360 as a power supply instead of the homemade adapter I don't have any problems at all. Windows recognizes the drive and I can eject it without any freezing issues. Which leads me to believe I'm missing something somewhere.

lessweightgofaster

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »

Hi, i had time to play about with my adapter tonight, i'm using 3 rectifier diodes (1n5401) in series to drop the 5v line to 3.3v (well its 3.2v but its near enough) and a microswitch for the eject button, grounding pin 3 for normal use and switching to the 3volts to eject, pin 4 is open circuit. Its not pretty but it works!
Seems to work fine so far, have read and flashed drive to 0800 and used to read dvd's on. Also I have a sata to usb converter (cheap one off ebay) and works fine with that aswell.

It wont eject through windows, you'll need a switch to eject.

Do you have any filter caps on your 3.3 volts line after the regulator? It maybe making noise, but wouldnt of thought you'd need them really.

Cheers
Ian

lessweightgofaster

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »

Ignore the bit about the regulator smoothing caps, forgot your using a pc psu, i tried to edit me post but it wont let me just get an error.
Maybe try just connecting pin 3 to 0v and see if it makes any differance, my pc was getting confused and thought the dvd drive was ejecting all the time if pin 3 wasnt grounded, and would take forever opening explorer.
Hope it helps.
Cheers
Ian

jbudd0649

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »

Dude that's it now We're on to something. I took my switch out and touched pin 3 to ground and the drive tray spit right out. So I think I had my switch wired wrong, or I have the wrong type of switch.

The Switch I have has 3 pins on it. The pins are labeled 1b 1 1a
1b is copper colored
1 and 1a are silver

I got the witch from Autozone it has a LED in the toggle. Should I try to find a different switch??

Here is a picture of the switch    

http://picpaste.com/...66-3J6nwSiA.JPG

IPB Image

lessweightgofaster

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »

Hi, i'd try a switch without the led in it, middle pin to pin 3 on dvd plug, one pin to 0v, and other one to 3.3v, should work ok then.
Pleased your getting there.
Cheers
Ian

jbudd0649

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »

OK,
 So I went to Radio Shack and got a 3 pole SPDT switch. I wired pin 3 to the middle switch pole. Ground to the bottom switch pole and 3v to the top switch pole. I could eject the drive by pushing the switch. However when I pushed the switch again I had to hold it to get it to close. As soon as I let off the switch the drive opened again... So I got a regular two pole switch and wired it up. Now when the switch is up the drive opens. If it is down the drive closes. I dont get it everyone else says to use a SPDT momentary switch. What is different about my setup?? Oh well. The important thing is I got it working. Thanks again for the help.

lessweightgofaster

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »

Cool pleased you got it working. I just used a momentery microswitch because thats wat i had in me box a parts, just hold in to eject and let go for closed. Maybe your wires outside two wires needed swapping round?
Cheers
Ian

jbudd0649

• Archived User
Benq Atx Psu
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »

Thanks man cheers to you too.