xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Lite-on Drive (assumed) Dead. Planning To Get A New One. Need Some Hel  (Read 122 times)

THUGGY

• Archived User

P.S. - and what i meant by burned games is back ups of my current games. This crap drive i currently have already scratched up 2 games and then scratched up my new LA Noire game before it completely quit reading discs !!! So i plan to back up all my games from now on once i flash a new drive !!!

UPDATE - I know from reading a lot of other forums today that most people who are regulars on here at helping people always hope that us newcomers do some research on our own too. Just so you know, i have now been reading many different forums for close to 7 hours now lol. I am learning some things but I am still finding that for my situation i need some good advice. Any help will be greatly appreciated and i promise to do a lot of forum hunting myself too once i get pushed in the right direction smile.gif

Grim187

• Archived User
Lite-on Drive (assumed) Dead. Planning To Get A New One. Need Some Hel
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »

my suggestion is to get the original firmware from that drive and replace it with a samsung ms25 or ms28 (least crappy drive you can get for the 360)...but its probably just the laser.

THUGGY

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »

I have some more info as well.

My Version: 74850C
Never been flashed

Grim has suggested that i just get a new drive and grab the firmware off this dead drive and put it on my new Lite-On. So i will just wait for more instructions but if anyone else still has some more info to add, feel free !! I am still hoping to get this current drive to work but i think i am screwed. Do i for sure need to buy another Lite-On though or will any older dvd drive work? Or is there a certain drive i should buy to replace this one and add the 7.0 firmware off the current dead one to the new one??

My main suspicion on this drive seems to be that the laser keeps moving toward the back of the rails and i dont think it is supposed to do that?? Each time i start up my xbox and open the drive and close it, the laser moves further back. I am wondering if my laser is not positioned right maybe or it needs height adjustment? If so i have no idea how to do that sad.gif

Tobeme

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 06:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(THUGGY @ May 22 2011, 09:45 AM) View Post

I have some more info as well.

My Version: 74850C
Never been flashed

Grim has suggested that i just get a new drive and grab the firmware off this dead drive and put it on my new Lite-On. So i will just wait for more instructions but if anyone else still has some more info to add, feel free !! I am still hoping to get this current drive to work but i think i am screwed. Do i for sure need to buy another Lite-On though or will any older dvd drive work? Or is there a certain drive i should buy to replace this one and add the 7.0 firmware off the current dead one to the new one??

My main suspicion on this drive seems to be that the laser keeps moving toward the back of the rails and i dont think it is supposed to do that?? Each time i start up my xbox and open the drive and close it, the laser moves further back. I am wondering if my laser is not positioned right maybe or it needs height adjustment? If so i have no idea how to do that sad.gif

the thing is all liteons are same you can get 7series 8series or 9 series,if you have the dimmu.bin from the original drive that was in the console you can just flash it to any liteon and you are good to go

iateshaggy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »

you can always get a new liteon and swap the pcb if you can't flash, this does require a little soldering though.  as stated, all phat liteon's are the same, just be sure to use the right firmware for your original drive with your replacement drive, it doesn't matter which drive you replace it with, they are all the exact same hardware.

THUGGY

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »

ah ok i got ya. Now though, if i buy a liteon to replace my old liteon drive, you're saying i wont need to replace the pcb, i can simply add the firmware from my old and then flash the new one??

Oh and once i am done flashing the new drive and am all set up, i also need to buy a new dvd burner so i can back up all my xbox games. What would you suggest? I don't have the greatest specs on my computer but from what i post would you guys mind letting me know what dvd drive would be best for my pc and for burning dual layer dvd's?

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.26 GHZ
2GB Ram
Windows XP PRO Service Pack 3

THUGGY

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 05:02:00 AM »

Anyone have some advice on my last post? I have Grim helping me out with most questions ( you are a life saver !)  but i understand he is probably very busy some days so i don't want to disturb him too much lol.

I guess i am down to just waiting for my next work check( which comes on May 27, woo hoo) then i will start purchasing the required hardware online. I am still stumped on what new dvd drive to go for? Do i simply grab another Lite-On or go with a samsung? I understand the Lite-On's are known for sometimes not reading discs etc due to laser issues etc, so would i truly be better off going with a samsung? Also any advice relating to my last post would be great too. Thanks guys and ladies !!