xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can I Update My Dvd's Firmware Through Esata?  (Read 139 times)

henriquelm

• Archived User
Can I Update My Dvd's Firmware Through Esata?
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »

Hello there, I was wondering if I could use my notebook's eSata port to update the firmware of my Xbox's DVD-Rom with an eSata to SATA cable. Running either DosFlash and Firmtool or Jungle Flasher.

Second question: In case the eSata to SATA cable doesn't work, does the Connectivity Kit work to use a notebook to flash an Xbox 360 DVD Drive?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

kirby_1

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(henriquelm @ Mar 16 2010, 10:24 PM) View Post

Hello there, I was wondering if I could use my notebook's eSata port to update the firmware of my Xbox's DVD-Rom with an eSata to SATA cable. Running either DosFlash and Firmtool or Jungle Flasher.
Second question: In case the eSata to SATA cable doesn't work, does the Connectivity Kit work to use a notebook to flash an Xbox 360 DVD Drive?
 blink.gif

Yes it will work.

henriquelm

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(kirby_1 @ Mar 17 2010, 10:28 PM) View Post

Yes it will work.

Thanks for the help buddy, but in case you didn’t noticed, I asked two different questions.
Did you answer both at the same time? Are you sure about the eSata to SATA cable?

cRaCKwHoRe

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »

Yes, this is how I do it. I always use an eSATA port (along with a CK3 connectivity kit and 12v external power supply to  provide power) to flash my drives so I don't have to open up my PC all the time. Works great, every time.

henriquelm

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »

So, can I use only the eSata to SATA cable plugged straight to the DVD drive, without the connectivity kit, leaving the DVD drive plugged to the xbox's power cable? Kinda old fashion way to update the Xbox's firmware.

Just wanted to check if this method works, cause this way I won't have to buy the connectivity kit, just the eSata to SATA cable.

Buzzcut

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »

I do all my upgrades using an old RROD xbox for the power, never used a connectivity kit in the 150+ boxes I've done.  Don't see the point in spending £35 for something you can get for free.

ROBJETS

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »

Esata is basically just a faster version of sata. Kind of like usb and usb 2.0.

Just think of esata as just sata with a different end.It is the same tech. I have never known an esata to sata end not to work with any hardware. The cable is just a link

If it doesnt work then the issue would be with your sata card not the cable.

beaups

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(ROBJETS @ Mar 20 2010, 08:01 AM) View Post

Esata is basically just a faster version of sata. Kind of like usb and usb 2.0.

Just think of esata as just sata with a different end.It is the same tech. I have never known an esata to sata end not to work with any hardware. The cable is just a link

If it doesnt work then the issue would be with your sata card not the cable.

LOL....WRONG

Esata is no faster or different than sata.  It's EXTERNALSata.  Issue with sata connectors is they are not durable enough to be used for repeated plug/unplug cycles.  The ESATA connector was created to be more durable.  Electrically they are identical.

henriquelm

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »

The reason I want to use eSata it's because I have a notebook and not a desktop.

Thanks for all the help so far people!

Suicyde

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »

Interesting stuff - any ideas on how to power a ck3 kit via Laptop? I've looked into shitty USB to Molex homemade solutions - but they don't seem to garner enough power?

Thanks in advance -
CYde

Master Reefed

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 04:18:00 AM »

after searching for a bit, I only found this thread and one other answering the question will ESATA work, and it looks like the answer is yes for the most part.

So i gotta hit radio shack... I only have a laptop, with ESATA, and 4 usb ports.

Would I be better off for flashing multiple different 360 drives in purchasing the ESATA / SATA adaptor, or the USB / SATA adaptor?

Does it matter, should I go cheapest?

thx in advance!   smile.gif