xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dedicated Ripping Drive (conected To Pc)  (Read 46 times)

xxlegionsxx

• Archived User
Dedicated Ripping Drive (conected To Pc)
« on: February 02, 2020, 10:10:00 PM »

It's been a long, long while since I've gotten into this modding stuff (I put 2 chips in original xboxs years ago) so I'm sorry if this is a "newbie" question.

I'm buying a premodded console from a member on this site with the ixtreme lt firmware on a lite-on drive (I don't want to mess a around with keys and what-not, plus the price is good). But I don't want to use this same optical drive to make rips (of my purchased games) since
a) I don't want to open the 360 everytime to make a rip
B) the lt firmware doesn't use this 0800 stuff (important for getting security info from discs?)

From what I can tell, a reasonable and simple thing to do is:
1) get a BenQ VAD6038 drive from somewhere like here http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/zz-360-bqdr since it is easiest to flash and kreons=no good anymore
2) get a power adapter from http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/zz-36-psu
3)connect the drive straight to the PC (including power)
4) set the drive into vendor mode using something like jungleflasher
5) flash with ixtreme 1.6 0800, ignoring the usual steps of key extraction, etc in the tutorials
6) use xbox backup creator with the right settings to get all the security stuff right

Does this sound right? Sorry if this belongs in the backup forum - wasn't sure which to use. And thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions...

This post has been edited by xxlegionsxx: Yesterday, 06:13 AM

iateshaggy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 10:32:00 PM »

you will prolly get a better deal on the drive on fleabay.  the psu u linked is worthless to your cause.  you need to get an xtractor pro to power the drive, it is powered by molex.

xxlegionsxx

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 02:14:00 AM »

Ahh, thanks for pointing that out. It looks like the connector I linked to is xbox drive power to 20-pin ATX connector (as in motherboard? - how useless unless I had a spare power supply laying around). So yeah, I'll go with the extractor pro or Xecuter CK3 Lite.

But everything else looks fine?

excaliburlives

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 06:22:00 AM »

Yes, everything else is fine.

xxlegionsxx

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 02:36:00 PM »

Thanks, that's reassuring. I think I'll order a drive and power adapter-like contraption today. In case anyone else checks this thread later, I'm also wondering how easy it would be to re-flash the lite I'm getting back to stock. As long as I have the drive key, should be simple, right?

graveldriver

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 11:32:00 PM »

How do you fit one of the drives into a standard 5.25 inch slot in a PC, without taking a hacksaw to the case???

xxlegionsxx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 11:39:00 PM »

Thanks for the interest in the thread. As for fitting into a case, I hadn't thought of it since I've always planned on keeping it outside of a case anyhow. I'm used to having computers with their guts exposed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Maybe someone else whose done it (fit it in a case) could give us an answer, in case down the road I end up doing that.

Oh and for those interested, I found a power adapter thing from diygadget.com that does just what I was looking for - a simple 4 pin PC power connection to a xbox DVD power connection. Theres some extra switches on it presumably to make flashing easier, somewhat similar to the ck3 or xtractor mentioned previously (but cheaper since less features). Even comes with an xbox DVD power cord.

Anyone have any further tips before I get all this stuff in the mail?