xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Cant Get Around This "serial Data Is Bad" Error  (Read 93 times)

Tj1zzle

• Archived User
Cant Get Around This "serial Data Is Bad" Error
« on: September 25, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »

this is driving me mad.
im trying to flash a lite-on (7485) and it wont let me do anything, stops right off the bat with the serial data is bad error

this is not my first lite on, i havent had problems in the past
im just looking for some suggestions maybe if anyone has dealt with this and what fix worked for them.

i tried reinstalling drivers
scraping off the r707 point
i hear the tray position can be testy but ive done it numerous lengths
im hoping my extractor didnt shit out on me.. im using a probe set up but not xecuters.

if i give soldering the points ago maybe itll be successful?

thanks much in advance any input at all will be much appreciated!

Tj1zzle

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(hardie @ Sep 26 2009, 12:58 AM) View Post

i had this problem once and i think i uninstalled portio restarted computer and then manually installed again and restated again
Cant be 100% but never had a problem again
r u using latest JF install portio that come with this  one

thanks for the reply.. yeap using most recent but i think im going to have to go ahead and make a new probe tomorrow myself because i think thats the problem

i did the hyper term test on 2 computers and no dice both times so i have to assume thats it, although i cant imagine why it crapped out it worked a month or so ago just fine.

again thanks for the input, will update

saleem_hacks_360s

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 06:55:00 AM »

well its weird cos if i use the kit to powrer a 74850 i cant use serial and have to use usb,funny cos it was other way round moths ago.

if i use the my homemade kit (which utilizes serial) i can extract no probs as long as i use a console to power the drive.

smile.gif

Tj1zzle

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »

well i made my own xtractor, everything connected right but still no good.

i hate to admit but i gave up, gonna tell the kid no good.

is it possible it was just that drive? any stories of drives not  giving it up?

now another bit of advice..im contemplating whether or not to purchase a new kit ( probe and connector)
is it a computer situation or will new hardware with usb support  maybe be the answer?

TIA

wantin2mod

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(Tj1zzle @ Sep 26 2009, 11:18 AM) View Post

well i made my own xtractor, everything connected right but still no good.

i hate to admit but i gave up, gonna tell the kid no good.

is it possible it was just that drive? any stories of drives not  giving it up?

now another bit of advice..im contemplating whether or not to purchase a new kit ( probe and connector)
is it a computer situation or will new hardware with usb support  maybe be the answer?

TIA

I had the same exact situation on my Lite-on. The drive would show up in two of the com ports listed. The only way I could get the key to extract was on my USB connection using My Xecuter Pro connectivity kit. When I tried to use the other com port that showed the drive while using my probe, I would almost instantly get "Bad Serial Data".
One I switched to the com port that listed the Xecuter hardware, extraction was fast and easy. I performed the extraction 4 times just to make sure. Worked great!! Hope this helps.

Tj1zzle

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(wantin2mod @ Sep 27 2009, 06:58 PM) View Post

I had the same exact situation on my Lite-on. The drive would show up in two of the com ports listed. The only way I could get the key to extract was on my USB connection using My Xecuter Pro connectivity kit. When I tried to use the other com port that showed the drive while using my probe, I would almost instantly get "Bad Serial Data".
One I switched to the com port that listed the Xecuter hardware, extraction was fast and easy. I performed the extraction 4 times just to make sure. Worked great!! Hope this helps.

i hope it does, thanks for the input

next week ill probably grab one so once again ill post the results so that hopefully someone else down the line will see

Tj1zzle

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(gerryb10 @ Sep 28 2009, 07:34 PM) View Post

Ok are using the usb connection to act as your com port? Lets take for granted you are, you will need to get a serial cable which is 9pin male to female connectors like this --> here. This will solve your problem

thanks for the input but like i said, i had one that i bought, then made my own. both serial.
im going to buy  an adapter with a usb and try that now

tvdang7

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »

i used to have bad serial data all the time i bought a usb maximus xtractor and i have NEVER had that problem again. have done about 20-30 lite on's since may.