xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Identifying Original Xbox Game Saves In Xplorer 360?  (Read 324 times)

iNarr

• Archived User
Identifying Original Xbox Game Saves In Xplorer 360?
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »

Hopefully this is the right forum. If not, hopefully the mods can help me out.

What I'm Attempting to Do

About a year ago, I decided to play through Morrowind again, but this time on my 360. I ended up sinking a substantial amount of time into the game (yet again!), and it recently occurred to me how foolish it is to not have a back up of my Morrowind saves.

So just back up the save files to a USB, right? Well, it turns out that when you go into the Xbox 360 storage menu, you can only Copy/Move xbox 360 game files, not original xbox game files. For the latter, you either delete them or leave them. So that lead me to Xplorer360...

What I've Done

Once I bought an xbox HDD transfer cable, I downloaded and installed Xplorer360 to backup an image of my 360's HDD. Thankfully, it worked without a hitch, which means I have a serviceable backup of my 360's drive. However, I want to grab my Morrowind save files specifically (I'll explain why in a second), but I can't seem to find them in the directories. Or, put differently, I can't find WHERE they are.

First of all, let me say that I know where to locate my gamertag folder in Partition 3 > Content > [Really Long folder name]. Within that folder, I can identify the save games for several 360 titles. It seems that the 360 save files are often titled somewhat intuitively, having names like LOTR_CONQUEST_SAVE.

What I need Help With

The original xbox games, on the other hand, don't seem to be labeled at all. How can I identify their save files? Morrowind is the game I'm looking for here, but I don't see any Halo CE files on here either. I looked under Compatibility > XBOX 1, but all the files there seem old (circa 2011 or so). Where do original Xbox saves go, considering that you don't need an xbox gamertag to play those games?

On the xbox itself, I can see from the storage menu that the Morrowind save files occupy 18mbs of space in 5 separate files. On Xplorer 360, I can't seem to find 5 files with those sizes. Should I be expecting this data to match up? Is the xbox listing the same file size data that Xplorer360 is?

So, in summary, where should I be looking for these 5 Morrowind files? Does anyone know which file directory they would appear under?

The End Goal

Apparently, you can convert Morrowind Xbox saves into PC save files. That is the goal I am working towards here. I know it is possible to do this with Skyrim saves for sure, but I wanted to experiment with the Morrowind files to see if it were similarly possible. This guy did it in 2004 using an AR for the original Xbox: Morrowind save file conversion

If he could do it back then, surely there are ways to do it now (given that it's now about 8 years down the line)?

iNarr

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »

It has been a few days since my last post. I am still looking for a solution on my own, but haven't found one yet. That said, I'm pretty incompetent when it comes to navigating file systems blind.

Anyone have any ideas/advice they can offer?

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »

I'd have to take a look at the partition folder structure again, but I believe they should be under Compatibility on one of the partitions.

iNarr

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(Aldanga @ May 4 2013, 01:34 AM) View Post

I'd have to take a look at the partition folder structure again, but I believe they should be under Compatibility on one of the partitions.

Thanks for the advice, Aldanga. I had checked the Compatibility folder, but (stupidly) I had checked the one listed under partition 2. Just some wild speculation, but I think that folder contains the data to emulate the original xbox; it doesn't contain the saved data FOR the emulated xbox.

Sure enough, under partition 3 there is another compatibility folder, and I found my Morrowind saves under a folder inside of UDATA. Basically, the file path was something like Partition 3 > Compatibility > Xbox 1 > UDATA > [Some random number folder].

After extracting a save to test with, I tried opening it using Morrowind as the specified program. No dice. BUT then I tried putting it in the Morrowind save files folder and I was able to get the save running. Unfortunately, the save folder is hidden by default in Windows 7 (it appears under my documents in AppData rather than in the Program Files x86 folder where all the game files are).

I got an error or two (which I expected) on the load screen, but once I got past the loading screen and saved over the file to make it 100% compatible with the PC, I haven't encountered any problems.

So, if there are any reader's out there reading this in the future, it is 100% possible to use your xbox Morrowind saves to play on PC. Not only that, but the process is surprisingly simple. Go figure.