xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Crazy Cpu Temps Xenon Jtag  (Read 164 times)

reliantkcar

• Archived User
Crazy Cpu Temps Xenon Jtag
« on: March 14, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »

ok So i got a xenon rrod off craigslist and it already had the upgraded gpu heatsink must have been a refurb

I took the gpu xclamp off and just swapped the screws and washers wrapped it in a towel and it worked
i played halo 3 on it for hours to test seemed fine on 7371 dash

had a friend jtag it and he ran it with the shroud off and it 2 red lighted after 10 mins

put it together ran it for 20 mins seemed fine

then i backed up some of my games to my usb 500gb and played em for a hour or so and my temps are

cpu 91c
gpu 50c
ram 47c
case 25c

I played gears 3 in 1080i over component

i did a 12v fan mod as soon as i got it working

works fine no problems
why is the cpu at 90 it actually hit 93.9c in freestyle
the air coming out is pretty cool out the back a little warmer out cpu side but not hot at all

any ideas? Should I tear it down again and swap out copper heatsink on cpu or repaste,remove xclamps?
or is temp sensor junk....

reliantkcar

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 01:56:00 AM »

ok So I opened it up and put electrical tape on the crack between the fan shroud and the cpu heatsink now I'm down to 68-70c in fsd .

reliantkcar

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »

both fans at max and i never touched the cpu heatsink I just left the little black screws off the xclamp. only the gpu had the xclamps removed

wilgo45

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(reliantkcar @ Mar 15 2013, 11:18 PM) View Post

both fans at max and i never touched the cpu heatsink I just left the little black screws off the xclamp. only the gpu had the xclamps removed

Both chips have a chip die.  Those chip dies need good heat sink compound.  It helps transfer the heat off the chip into the heat sink.

Heat sink compound dries out over time.  The more dried out - the less effective.  The chip remains hotter.
Given that this is a Xenon  .... then the compound is really old on the Cpu die.

Try changing out the heat sink compound on the Cpu.  Do a good cleaning.  Don't pile new on top of old.

Good heat sinks compounds:  Arctic Silver 5, Arctic Silver Ceramique, MX-2, MX-4