xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft to close in-game advertising company Massive  (Read 80 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft to close in-game advertising company Massive
« on: October 09, 2010, 03:35:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | October 9 05:35 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From arstechnica.com:

Massive was Microsoft's push into video game advertising and, since we live in an ad-filled world and games seek to mimic that reality, it seemed like a good fit. According to a report by Media Week however, the company has long been troubled, and will soon be shutting its doors.

The problem? Microsoft would rather advertise in Xbox Live, where it doesn't have to split the profits with publishers. EA recently pulled its business from Massive in order to sell ads internally. It's not that you will be seeing less advertising in games, it just seems as if those making large bets on in-game ads would simply rather keep larger cuts for themselves.

Full Story: arstechnica.com

pirichios

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »

doesnt come as a surprise they always want more profit

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »

This is a good business move. Given that Microsoft has control of a huge market for advertising it's the best business decision they can make.

symbal

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »

At least MS aren't as bad as Apple with the amount of megalomaniacal control they aiming for, i don't know why but everytime i see Steve Jobs i think of Brain from Pinky and the Brain.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(symbal @ Oct 10 2010, 01:12 AM) *

At least MS aren't as bad as Apple with the amount of megalomaniacal control they aiming for, i don't know why but everytime i see Steve Jobs i think of Brain from Pinky and the Brain.

With the xbox, MS has the same type of control that apple has on it's PC hardware. Maybe more because you can't build your own 360 (but you can build a hackintosh).

I'm hoping this doesn't mean new dash revisions will have even more adspace...

symbal

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »

If you gonna compare comparable pieces of hardware then the 360 is closest to iPod/Phone/Pad in it's inception, and then Apple is jumping and breaking every legal hurdle possible to restrict people, and you know they will squash anyone in their way in the quest for money, but at least MS offers backwards compatibility, flash drive support, standard AA batteries, and limited 3rd party support.