xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Getting Xbmc Onto Xbox Other Than Using Ftp?  (Read 145 times)

Movax

• Recovered User
Getting Xbmc Onto Xbox Other Than Using Ftp?
« on: May 18, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »

You should really get FTP working. What have you tried? Otherwise you can burn files to a DVD-R - for best results use 4x or as slow as your burner can go and use a file manager on xbox (like the one built into XBMC) to copy them to the harddrive.

Movax

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »

You could look into stuff like:
Are you connecting directly with a crossover cable? via router? Does your xbox have a valid IP? Is it using DHCP? Is your home network (router) running a DHCP server? What is your xbox IP, PC IP address? ...etc.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »

You have to get ping working first.

As Movax says, start by having a look at the IP addresses of your PC and Xbox. They have to be in the same subnet.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »

when i edited heimdalls excelent hexen disk to work from HDD i also updated the xbmc that was on there..

i will now give you steps that should work for an iso..

Download the latest buld of xbmc..
Open the hexdn iso with an iso program. "i recomend magic iso"
copy the xbmc.rar file found in hexen to pc..
open the xbmc.rar file that you got from the hexen.iso with win rar. "not extract just open"

extract the new version of xbmc. to the pc "the one downloaded not the one from hexen"
draged and drop the new xbmc files on to the open win rar window.. "replace all files"

close win rar when it finishes.
drag and drop the newly updated rar file back to the hexen iso "magic iso" "replace existing file"
save the iso..

burn the newly saved iso to dvd-r at 4x or slower.
boot to hexen tell it to install xbmc..

and you should be good to go..

But you really need to fix your FTP issue.
im only posting this because its an answer to the question you actualy asked.. but i think its more importaint to fix your ftp.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »

.....and is the IP address of the Xbox in the same subnet as the IP address of your PC?

Movax

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(MrBungle @ May 18 2012, 06:30 PM) View Post

I.P addresses and stuff noted down in case I ever needed to set it all up again, and its all set as it was back then.

How/where did you check? I don't know what your networking skill level is, so I am curious as to how/what you checked and if it is in fact set up in a way that would seem to be correct. Likely your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, which means all your IP addresses should be the same, except for the last number of the four.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »

all subnet maskss should be 255.255.255.0

then you have your ip range..
they should be
192.168.1.# (# being a diferent number for every system)
or|
192.168.2.# (again # is a changing number)

if one syetsm is 192.168.2.#
and the other's are 192.168.1.#
then you need to change the 192.168.2.# to 192.168.1.# so they
are all in the same address range..

also all the "#" have to be diferent 1-254 (is recomended..) your router however can usualy limit the range..
so the router may be saying you can only use 1-4... so you would need to change the router to accept more ip address inthat instance.

and your default gateway should be your routers ip address. (possibly 192.168.1.1)

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »

You seem determined to avoid providing any information that would actually allow us to help you....

Let's try again. When connected to your router:
- What is your Xbox IP address?
- What is your PC IP address?
- What is your router IP address?

MrBungle

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »

I've discovered the problem. The long cable (15m) that I use for connecting to my router (the xbox is in the bedroom) must have gotten damaged while tied up and stored away. Used a tester on it and one of the wires continuity is intermittent. There must be the smallest of breaks in it.

No idea how it has gotten damaged as I only ever used it for FTP'ing and I bought an expensive one hoping it would last me.

I thought it was odd that using my laptop I could set it up instantly - but then I used a regular short ass one for that. Feel a bit silly now!