xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xplorer360 Issue?  (Read 114 times)

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Xplorer360 Issue?
« on: February 03, 2020, 06:37:00 AM »

I know the only recommended use of Xplorer360 is in the initial softmodding but as I have several Xboxes with stuff I want to backup to my laptop I thought why not do it via USB flash drive rather than the relative hassle FTPing.

So I copied everything I wanted to transfer onto my known working (95% of the time) 4GB stick FATX formatted. Apart from game saves there were separate eeprom backups for each Xbox, skin edits I'd done, MS dash and C drive copies, basically anything for Xbox I thought might be useful to have backed up.

The laptop (WinXP) was on the main desktop so I plugged in the flash drive and it was immediately recognised. I think I was offered the chance to reformat it but, obviously, didn't. I then opened Xplorer360 - the drive was also recognised as a FATX device but when I looked at the contents a huge chunk of the data was missing. Only the TDATA and UDATA folders were displayed. I stored them and exited Xplorer360.

I then transferred the flash drive back to a Xbox, running XBMC File Manager and was surprised to see the volume shown was far less than it had been and that indeed only the UDATA and TDATA folders remained. Everything else was totally gone.  It wasn't corrupted, there was just nothing left.

I can't believe this was a flash drive 'quirk', I've never had folders/files deleted but leaving others in perfect condition. If this particular stick plays up everything stops displaying and I get a "could not mount the drive" message. It always reappears after rebooting or, as sometimes is required, shutdown and rebooting.

So what's going on here? Does Xplorer360 only work for folders/files recognised as Xbox game saves?        

Heimdall

• Archived User
Xplorer360 Issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 07:37:00 AM »

Which version are you using? I use Xplorer360 beta 6, and have copied all sorts of stuff across without problems, although never to a 4GB drive - my largest Xbox-compatible memory stick is 1GB.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Xplorer360 Issue?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 11:41:00 AM »

It is Xplorer360 beta 6, at least that is what it says. It certainly looks like the screen shots I've seen elsewhere.      

I suppose the obvious thing is to do some more transfer attempts using the other Xbox compatible flash drive I can afford to experiment with. My other working ones are small capacity and filled with the very master saves/backups I want to copy to the laptop. I'm not risking them being wiped.

Clearly this isn't normal behaviour and that's really what I wanted to know. It probably is the flash drive, some do behave very oddly but as I indicated, in the copying I've done between Xboxes using this stick and the other one I've never had anything like this happen.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Xplorer360 Issue?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »

Looks like it was indeed yet another peculiar USB flash drive issue.

In doing some more thorough tests I had all sorts of odd results with things going missing. However when I used a flash drive I know works 100% I had no problem transferring whatever I wanted between Xbox and laptop and visa versa using Xplorer360.

Disappointing thing is that I found out that yet another pair of USB drive I have, apparently identical, behave completely differently from each other when used with the Xbox. The non-working one in this case has more and odder issues than any other USB drive I've ever tried.

Not that it was needed but it is further confirmation that it really is pure luck finding a USB memory device which works with the Xbox.