xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Load Rom Directly From Dash  (Read 134 times)

colgate

• Archived User
Load Rom Directly From Dash
« on: March 05, 2005, 03:11:00 PM »

There is any way to this that? Load a rom on any Xport Emulator from the dash without loading the emu gui?

hargle

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 01:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(colgate @ Mar 5 2005, 11:11 PM)
There is any way to this that? Load a rom on any Xport Emulator from the dash without loading the emu gui?

Xport's emulators do support command line launching- it's the dash that needs to be set up to launch the game with the command line stuff included.  This has been a little dream of mine for awhile now.  I use XBMC as a dash.

Having said that, I've never actually seen an xport emulator work that way, but there is documentation and code that supposedly does it.

I've been thinking that it may possible to create a "bridge" that allows you to do it:

A very tiny program can be written using the freeware XDK that simply launches another program.  So in your dashboard, you browse to and run this bridge program, which then launches the emulator with the proper command line.  Granted you'd have to re-compile it for every different game you wanted to launch (or perhaps have it read a text file for the command line to pass) but I think it's possible.  The fact that it would be compiled with the free XDK means that we can actually post compiled binaries online and not get sued.

Just a thought.  If my schedule ever frees up I'll try my hand at writing something like that.

vernonjr

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 02:00:00 PM »

has your schedule freed up yet  :rolleyes:
nah, but i would love to see someone do this, id really like to make a zelda themed dashboard and put all my zelda roms on it, i think that would be so awesome.

hargle

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 04:58:00 PM »

Well, I spent a few hours working with openXDK, and one of the sample programs is one that simply launches another one-exactly what we need for this!

I changed it to launch an emulator (no command line yet), compiled it and launched it from XBMC, but all I got was a blank screen and it locked up tighter than 3 fat ladies on a spiral staircase.

Alas.  Supposedly there are issues with openXDK, certain BIOSes and certain dashboards launching them, so it's off to the developer's section of the forums for me.

hopefully I'll have some good news soon.

Stay tuned.

dux ducis

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 07:52:00 PM »

It would be nice to have menus in My Programs titled "Genesis" "NES" "N64" which just bring up a list of roms, which load when selected.

I'll keep an eye on this, hope you get something worked out.

hargle

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 11:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(dux ducis @ Mar 22 2005, 02:22 AM)
It would be nice to have menus in My Programs titled "Genesis" "NES" "N64" which just bring up a list of roms, which load when selected.

I'll keep an eye on this, hope you get something worked out.

I'm still working on it...

There are currently 2, possibly 3 issues:

1) programs compiled with openXDK don't launch properly from XBMC.  The openXDK developers know about it and supposedly have some new code that fixes it, but I haven't gotten my hands on it yet.  The same program launches from evox dashboards just fine, so this issue won't even affect you if you're not using XBMC as a dash.  I am, so I'm not going to release anything til it works for me!

2) openXDK's "launch program" routines don't handle command line parameters.
I think I can fix this by tweaking the openXDK code.

3?) Then there may be the issue of the emulator itself not actually working as advertised and not picking up the command line parameters.  If this is the case, it's probably game over for this idea until the emulators themselves can be updated.  

celinedrules

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 11:41:00 AM »

I dont know about XBMC but in UnleashX, to have a rom launch automatically it would be like this:
CODE
007 Everything or Nothing

vernonjr

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 09:44:00 PM »

i tried that code, for snes, it pulled up and told me it failed to load the rom... but at least it opened the emulator and tried to run the rom