xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Have Evox On, Now What?  (Read 102 times)

Oyjord

• Archived User
Have Evox On, Now What?
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:46:00 AM »

Hi all,

Sorry for being such a newb, but I'm a bit overwhelmed.  I just used my Action Reply and a Splinter Cell copy to install the basic softmods and EvoX dash.  I tested it by playing a DVD-R backup, and it worked great!

Now what?  Heh.  I know there's a lot more I can do with my modded Xbox, but I'm overwhelmed.  I  don't care to watch DvDs on it, or make it a media center, but I might like to copy games and play them off the HD, or somehow important cheats and saves to maybe get infinite health here or god mode there.

Any tips on how I might like to proceed with a newly softmoded Xbox would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BuraddoX

• Archived User
Have Evox On, Now What?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:42:00 AM »

Well welcome to Xbox-Scene and the world of modding happy.gif ok to upgrade to a bigger HDD you have to buy any size HDD you want, it can be a SATA HDD but you need a SATA to IDE converter for that so that's why i just bought a 80GB IDE and it works great. ok so here are a few tuts to help
The Art of HDD Upgrades for Softmodded Xbox
Did you backup your Eeprom.bin its a file that you do need backed up to make the HDD on a PC you need that file.

a lot of people use xboxhdm as it is simple i didn't because i have a TSOP flashed xbox it is different to a softmodded xbox because the bios have been changed to custom ones,

but to use XboxHDM you need a PC that use's 2 IDE connections not a SATA PC but XboxHDM2 can boot off a USB and im sure it doesn't just require you just have a IDE PC.
or Xboxdumper sounds good as well,Just keep search around on here to find guides and other peoples questions as it might answer yours as well good luck hope i helped out

also once you have everything like installed a new HDD you need DVD2XBOX that will backup your copy of your xbox game to your HDD and then you can play it happy.gif
also you need to use xbpartitioner 1.1 to format your HDD so it will work so it will have a F:Drive
also look in my sig and click on X-Box HDD Compatibility there is certain HDD's that can be locked and can't be locked the reason for this is so that when it is locked the MSDASH will boot then it will go to your custom dash etc EVOX.

Also a disc called HeXen can help a lot with things as well
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=729570
You will have to find that your self as im not allowed to give links as i don't know any.
IPB Image
Ps:Sorry if i have written heaps just want to help out happy.gif

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Have Evox On, Now What?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »

Copying and playing games from the HDD was for me one of the main reasons for getting into this stuff. But you really do need a bigger HDD than the retail one to make good use of that facility. All the installers I've used have included DVD2Xbox and the dongle free DVDX2 DVD player as part of the package so you should check your Evox's Launch Applications list to see if they're there.

A typical Xbox game is between 2GB to 4GB and with all the softmodding and other stuff you'll have on the HDD that means there's likely only enough room for 1 or 2 games,

If gaming is still going to be it's main use, personal bias here, but I'd recommend using UnleashX rather than Evox. It has its fans and some options that UnleashX doesn't but visa versa too. IMHO it's better installing Evox as an app so you can use those facilities when required.

In its basic form UnleashX keeps it looking and operating in a recogniseably 'Xbox ' way if that's what you want. UnleashX also has more fun things to fiddle with directly via the menus (not always a good thing for noobs) but without a doubt it's File Explorer is the exceptional tool I wouldn't want to be without.  

However if you're serious or think it likely you'll want to get into the whole multi-media thing then XBMC is essential. Whether you use it as main dash or app you have to have it on your machine.

In short: follow Buraddox's advice and read up about upgrading the HDD and the various methods available. As he also suggests using HeXen would also seem to be very appropriate too. Read up on that, there's a very good description of what it can do that's been updated recently.

Oyjord

• Archived User
Have Evox On, Now What?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »

Thanks for the helpful responses!  

I'm enjoying the heck out of fiddling around with what had been aging and dust-gathering hardware in my garage.  

I appreciate the advice and am looking into upgrading the HD right now.

Best,
Oy.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
Have Evox On, Now What?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »

You should look into emulators too. http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showforum=96

spliff721

• Archived User
Have Evox On, Now What?
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 03:20:00 AM »

In th relm of emulators, make sure you check out Coin-OPs. Just found this a few weeks ago. DIG IT!!!