xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Softmod And Vga  (Read 348 times)

Red_Breast

• Archived User
Softmod And Vga
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »

Well I've been playing with my new toy.
So using a Xbox component cable connected to the component to VGA adaptor and then on to an old PC CRT monitor the picture is great.
But I tried connecting it to my 100Hz SDTV's VGA socket and I'm getting a little flickering. In the TV manual it says the VGA source, typically at the time of the TV's manufacture date a PC, must be set to 640/480.
I tried my Xbox 360. It connects to the TV with MS' official VGA cable. In the 360 menu the resolution is set to 640/480. I dug out the 360 component cable and connected it to the adaptor and the adaptor to the TV VGA socket. This time the 360 showed me HDTV resolutions only. So no 640/480. Nearest was 720/480. I selected that and got exactly the same flicker.
So I take it the reason for the flicker is the Xbox is throwing out 720/480 through the component to VGA adaptor. The adaptor can't convert it to a 640/480 resolution.
The £20 I paid for the adaptor hasn't been entirely wasted as I can still use it on a PC display. But for the TV I need proper 640/480 VGA output.
I've been playing around a bit already trying to get nkpatcher11_U04 or Kingroach's Ndure on my Xbox. No luck. I was getting hangups and errors. I ended up having to load Splinter Cell and use the "remove softmod" option or restoring a complete backup of the Xbox hard drive that I'd made. Thank god.
Idots or obcd do you know of any auto-installers with nkpatcher 11_U04? I downloaded it from Kingroach's page on esnips but the configuring involved looks like a nightmare. I don't know where to begin.
http://www.esnips.co...1_U04-kingroach

Red_Breast

• Archived User
Softmod And Vga
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »

A bit of a bump but I said I'd post if I ever got it working.

So remember I got a Frozen cable and could never get it working with non-SoG VGA displays. On my Sony SoG using Krayzie's Extras it worked fine. Of Frosty's 2 methods for softmod I could only try the Phoenix Loader route as I had no DVD burner to try the VGA boot disc method. So I decided to take the component to VGA adaptor route for my Xbox as I use the Sony display for my PC.
Since then I've come across a few situations where a disc burner would of been handy so a couple of weeks back I got one finally. This evening whilst trying to find something I came across the Frozen cable and remembered I've never tried the boot disc method. I burnt the .iso, plugged in the cable and it worked first time. Why it never worked with the Phoenix Bios Loader I have no idea.

Thanks again Idotsfan and obcd for all the help back then.

Pages: 1 2 [3]