xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dual Booting Softmod, Pc Ndure 3.1?  (Read 39 times)

TheDiggler

• Archived User
Dual Booting Softmod, Pc Ndure 3.1?
« on: January 11, 2008, 01:43:00 AM »

Instead of resurrecting this thread:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...ect%20button%22

The last question "is there a way to make it boot to an alternative dashboard? say, avalaunch or something else", pretty much sums things up nicely.  I have an Ndure 3.1 softmod which boots UnleashX.  I would like to boot XBMC with the power button and use the Eject button to boot UnleashX.  Is this possible and can this be done by editing a few files on the Xbox?

Thanks!  

obcd

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 02:28:00 AM »

Hi,

you can change your dashboard from unleashx to xbmc  if you change the default.xbe file in the e:\dash folder. You might create an unleashx folder in your apps folder and copy the e:\dash files to that location. Xbmc comes with a shortcut xbe. Using that, you don't have to move the complete xbmc package to your dash folder.

changing the eject button application is a bit more tricky. The application that is booted is determined by the nkpatcher program. That one uses a configuration file with all the settings that are adjustable. The older versions of that program needed to be recompiled if you changed the settings. The latest nkpatcher versions can read that configuration file at bootup.

Usually, the nkpatcher is on the original c partition (not the shadowc). In my Ndure setup, it is in the bios folder.

Experimenting with nkpatcher is dangerous. If something goes wrong, your xbox won't boot anymore. The only solution for that is connecting your xbox harddisk to your pc, and undoing the latest changes. You need your xbox eeprom.bin file on your pc for that. So, make sure you backup that one before you start.

Even changing the dash can cause similar problems. You better test xbmc as an application first. Than you can test out the shortcut and it's configuration file from a different folder. If that works, you can copy the 2 files to the e:\dash folder as a replacement for unleashx. Better a couple of steps to much than ending with a non working xbox.

You can always start your unleashx dash from within your xbmc one. A dash is just a xbox application the same way a game is. (If you copied the unleashx files before you switched the dashboards)

regards.

TheDiggler

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(obcd @ Jan 11 2008, 11:04 AM) *

Hi,

you can change your dashboard from unleashx to xbmc  if you change the default.xbe file in the e:\dash folder. You might create an unleashx folder in your apps folder and copy the e:\dash files to that location. Xbmc comes with a shortcut xbe. Using that, you don't have to move the complete xbmc package to your dash folder.

changing the eject button application is a bit more tricky. The application that is booted is determined by the nkpatcher program. That one uses a configuration file with all the settings that are adjustable. The older versions of that program needed to be recompiled if you changed the settings. The latest nkpatcher versions can read that configuration file at bootup.

Usually, the nkpatcher is on the original c partition (not the shadowc). In my Ndure setup, it is in the bios folder.

Experimenting with nkpatcher is dangerous. If something goes wrong, your xbox won't boot anymore. The only solution for that is connecting your xbox harddisk to your pc, and undoing the latest changes. You need your xbox eeprom.bin file on your pc for that. So, make sure you backup that one before you start.

Even changing the dash can cause similar problems. You better test xbmc as an application first. Than you can test out the shortcut and it's configuration file from a different folder. If that works, you can copy the 2 files to the e:\dash folder as a replacement for unleashx. Better a couple of steps to much than ending with a non working xbox.

You can always start your unleashx dash from within your xbmc one. A dash is just a xbox application the same way a game is. (If you copied the unleashx files before you switched the dashboards)

regards.

Thanks for the help obcd.  I have backups and XBMC works like a champ.  Blindly toying with the configuration files is not something I would want to do.  Is there some document/guide which shows exactly how to modify the configuration file to simply point the Eject button to a dashboard of your choice?  Sounds like it should be a straight forward process but this wouldn't be the first time I was dead wrong.

Thanks again!

1hotjob

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »

With Krazie's Ndure there is an Extras folder you put on the Xbox in the Apps folder. You can run this and change to a dual boot. I am not sure if it will work with your Ndure though. I would back up everything to the PC, making sure you have the eeprom.bin. Run the Extras and see what happens.