xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Usb Hard Drive And Xbmc  (Read 121 times)

LightningStruckMyXbox

• Archived User
Usb Hard Drive And Xbmc
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 04:19:00 PM »

So far it's been working good. I defrag it once a week and it keeps then running. I'll be carefull though. I still have the one year warrenty.

lowsodium

• Archived User
Usb Hard Drive And Xbmc
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 12:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(LightningStruckMyXbox @ Sep 2 2005, 12:30 AM)
So far it's been working good. I defrag it once a week and it keeps then running. I'll be carefull though. I still have the one year warrenty.

SOLO-X

• Archived User
Usb Hard Drive And Xbmc
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 08:50:00 AM »

So, does anyone know for sure? Will XBMC recognize a USB HD? Will it play games, movies and other media from it? My PC is a little old, PII 550-MHZ, and I will get one for the XboX if it works. I don't think a USB HD would work too great with my limited processor speed. Does anyone know if my current PC will run a USB HD fine or would it be a waste?

Loto_Bak

• Archived User
Usb Hard Drive And Xbmc
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2005, 12:16:00 AM »

This was covered earlier in the thread. NO xbmc cannot read fat32/ntfs formatted filesystems.

If implimented only fatx filesystems would be able to be read. (Xbox considers any mass storage device a memory card iirc) The xbox dashboard will format the hdd into a fatx filesystem.

For xbmc to read fat32 and/or ntfs (filesystems supported by your windows pcs) the entire USB stack would need to be replaced. The only real viable option would be to impliment an opensource (ie linux) stack. In turn this means all XDK usb functionality (controllers, memory cards formatted in fatx, karaoke mics and any other xbox accessory) would no longer work. Drivers for all these devices would need to be written.

If you understand what this means you know its a monumentous task. If you dont take developers word for it.

Unless your knowledgeable enough and willing to code such a feature I think its best to consider it a pipe dream.
Pages: 1 [2]