xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Tut- Controller Ports To Middle Of Front Faceplate  (Read 490 times)

eminvil_12

• Archived User
Tut- Controller Ports To Middle Of Front Faceplate
« on: September 15, 2005, 12:21:00 AM »

Hi,

I decided to make a tutorial for moving the controller ports to the centre faceplate of the Xbox because its something new, I have seen another member wanting to do it and I think I’m the first to successfully do it.

Things you will need.

-   Hot glue gun
-   Bondo/Car body filler
-   Dremel (you don’t need a dremel, you could get away with any type of cutting tool.
-   3mm  Plastic (1cm x 4cm)

First of all this mod needs some cutting of the DVD drive where there are no components though except one pcb board.  Nothing major at all.

I take no responsibility if you screw you DVD drive in the process or anything else to do with your XBOX but if you follow this tut it should work.

Let’s get started.

PART 1 – The Controller Ports

Get your set of controller ports and the piece of 3mm plastic, now hot glue the plastic to the top plastic part of the controller port as shown in the picture below. Make sure that it is parallel with the controller port, not on an angle.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/eminvil_12/TUT1.jpg)

Once you have it glued to the bottom controller port you have to glue the top controller port on, when hot glueing really use a lot of glue and make sure the surfaces are free of dust and shit. The picture below has no hot glue but demonstrates what the controller ports are supposed to look like.  Also when mounting the top controller port make sure its directly above the bottom one, every thing must be parallel.

Now cut off the bits of plastic in the picture below marked with red arrows and lines.  Also dremel down the plastic flush to the controller port, this is represented by a blue line.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/eminvil_12/TUT2.jpg)

Now that you have the controller ports ready to go you must cut out the controller port holes from the front panel and sand them so they are flat instead of on an angle.
The pictures below give you the idea.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/eminvil_12/TUT3.jpg)

These are the controller ports on the front panel. Red is where you sand it flat and blue is the controller port you then use.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/eminvil_12/TUT4.jpg)

Now that you have the controller ports ready to go and the holes cut out you have to stick them on. In the picture below it shows them stuck on and I have circled where you don’t want to get hot glue which is between the controller port holes but everywhere else is fine.  You MUST make sure once you have hot glued the controller port holes onto the controller ports that they are all flush. None should be sticking out higher than others, if they are file or sand them down.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/eminvil_12/TUT5.jpg)

Next step is to bondo them into the front panel faceplate.
In the picture below you can clearly see where I cut plastic out of the faceplate and bondoed the ports in. make sure they are straight and line up correctly.
Also as you can see in the picture below there is hot glue showing between the controller ports which you really don’t want.

Once the ports are bondoed

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/eminvil_12/TUT6.jpg)

Then just sand the bondo flush, paint it and you are done. And since you mounted them this way you can still have the snap on cover for the faceplate which can then hide these ports for stealth. I will post how to do that once I have finished it though.

PART 2 – The DVD Drive

Now first of all I’m using a Samsung DVD drive for this mod and I am not sure whether other branded DVD drives will work, though I’m assuming most are setup the same.

First open the DVD rom drive and fully disassemble it, tutorials for this can be found at www.llama.com or all over the internet, use Google. You might want to place the laser in a GLAD bag or somewhere its dust free.

Once disassemble you must start cutting into the DVD rom frame. This is pretty hard to explain so ill post 2 pictures with a little annotation.  These pictures are located at the front right of the DVD drive. Picture one is take from the top of the DVD drive and picture two is taken from the bottom of the DVD drive.

Picture one
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/eminvil_12/TUT7.jpg)

Picture 2
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/eminvil_12/TUT8.jpg)

Now once you have done these cuts to the DVD drive you must cut away some of the bottom metal shielding of the DVD drive in the bottom right corner. This can easily be measured by snapping on the front panel and testing it with the DVD tray sitting in the case.

Once the DVD drive is cut and fitted your done. Just whack a bit of paint on there and it will look great.  When painting the controller ports you just have to get a little tape and place it over the connections of the controller port and a little over the shielding tabs inside.

Any problems with the tutorial please let me know, should be alright though.

Cheers,
eminvil_12

This post has been edited by eminvil_12: Sep 15 2005, 07:22 AM

SpookieStylez

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 12:43:00 AM »

Sweet!
 :beer:
A added pic of the finished product would be nice.

sS

This post has been edited by SpookieStylez: Sep 15 2005, 07:45 AM

Andy Holloway

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 12:54:00 AM »

yeh a pretty neat idea, just curious, where did u put the power and eject buttons?

eminvil_12

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 01:01:00 AM »

Well this is the only picture i have at the moment as i still have to bondo in the controller ports or do what ubernewb did for his LCD . And yeh ubernewb i know how you did that lol, the back of the xbox where the ethernet and video is.

anyways this is as final as i could get. once painted and finished i will post the final product up.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/eminvil_12/Final.jpg)

EDIT:
yeh a pretty neat idea, just curious, where did u put the power and eject buttons?

They will most likely be mounted on the right side of the front panel once i make the inset for it, though i dont know if they will fit with the hip gear knobs there.  If they dont they will probably be mounted to the top cover in the middle. Not entirely sure yet.

This post has been edited by eminvil_12: Sep 15 2005, 08:03 AM

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 01:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(eminvil_12 @ Sep 15 2005, 09:05 AM)
And yeh ubernewb i know how you did that lol, the back of the xbox where the ethernet and video is.

uhm.. wha? what did i do with the ethernet and video?

eminvil_12

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 02:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(ubernewb @ Sep 15 2005, 06:53 PM)
uhm.. wha? what did i do with the ethernet and video?

to make an inset for an LCD or other things thaat you want to mount neatly on the front panel of the xbox you just cut out the inset where the ethernet and video connectors are located.  This fits perfectly onto the front panel all you need to do is bondo it.

Maybe thats not what you did ;)

sick_mate_xbox

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 04:45:00 AM »

looks heaps cool man. good shit!

:beer: robbo

[-dick]

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 10:54:00 AM »

J.B Weld shoudl be your friend.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »

Nice tutorial :beer:

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 01:23:00 PM »

Nice one of a kind tutorial you should get this pinned

blue bandicoot

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »

when you put that on the xbox itself, how do two sets of controller ports fit inside the xbox without serious rearanging of the dvd and hd ?

halofreak007

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 02:17:00 PM »

that looks awesome and same ? as blue bandicoot

Mark Morgan

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 04:59:00 PM »

Hey mate

great work, i would love to see it finished

(great melb day in the background lol probably started raining soon after. am i right?)

Mark Morgan

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 06:42:00 PM »

BlueBandicoot and Halofreak007: I believe that he seriously cut up the dvd drive in order for the ports to fit properly.