xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Project Wetbox Wip  (Read 4559 times)

aepuppetmaster

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2005, 08:24:00 PM »

okay that is fare, all the cheap mod stuff, in fact i agree with u that using scrap/what u have lying around is better.  so more power 2 u.  but i really don't think that aluminum conducts heat beter than copper, im 99% sure so u may want to check where u got ur info.  once again nice job on the mod.

JaredC01

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2005, 08:49:00 PM »

It's not really a matter of which metal "Conducts" more heat...

Aluminum dissipates heat much quicker than copper does, but can only absorb a small amount of heat at one time.

Copper, on the other hand, dissipates heat much slower than aluminum, but can absorb more at one time.

Since copper can pull out large amounts of heat, it makes it more effective than aluminum at directly absorbing heat.  Since aluminum can dissipate heat very quickly, it makes it more effective at removing the absorbed heat than copper.

This is why you most commonly find aluminum heatsinks with copper cores.

aepuppetmaster

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2005, 08:55:00 PM »

im still skeptical, high end heat sinks are all copper (like my hyper 6, my old venus 12), middle of the road stuff is copper core and aluminum (to save cost) and low end oem stuff is aluminum, wouldn't u see no copper heatsinks if it were bad for that type of think.  just my 2 cents.  sorry to et off topic tho, taking the glorry away from ur mod.

JaredC01

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2005, 08:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(aepuppetmaster @ Sep 1 2005, 10:06 PM)
im still skeptical, high end heat sinks are all copper (like my hyper 6, my old venus 12), middle of the road stuff is copper core and aluminum (to save cost) and low end oem stuff is aluminum, wouldn't u see no copper heatsinks if it were bad for that type of think.  just my 2 cents.  sorry to et off topic tho, taking the glorry away from ur mod.

aepuppetmaster

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2005, 09:01:00 PM »

good point but than i'll come back with this, take the xp-90 for example, and its more $$  brother the xp-90c (the c standing for copper).  they have the exact design and  same fan size/cfm but the higher end and beter performing one is made out of copper.

JaredC01

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2005, 09:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(aepuppetmaster @ Sep 1 2005, 10:12 PM)
good point but than i'll come back with this, take the xp-90 for example, and its more $$  brother the xp-90c (the c standing for copper).  they have the exact design and  same fan size/cfm but the higher end and beter performing one is made out of copper.

aepuppetmaster

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2005, 09:07:00 PM »

2nd'd  this will be my last off topic post, and its purpose is to simple state that i and i hope everyone else (even tho it was only the 2 of us) stop any further discusions about the diffrence and pro's/cons of copper and aluminum.

haloloser

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »

well i cant find the article where i actually read that a silver waterblock outpreformed its copper opponent, but its not something i would lie about.  either way, copper or not, im not cooling a 3400+ overclocked to heck.  i mean we are wroking with a pentium three or something to that effect, and if the cpu heatsink doesnt need a fan, im sure anything with water running through the middle of it will work just fine, and be alot more quite then a 80mm running at 12v.  im not sure if im going to order a pc radiator or just get a heatercore from a car.  ill find out tuesday.  untill then.  

-haloloser-

haloloser

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2005, 09:46:00 PM »

i just got back from the beach yesterday. i havnt actually done a whole lot, but i wanted to make a wee update. i really didnt do anything but work out where to put the xlcd and hippad. anyways, this is my new dremel, i took the old one back and they exchanged it no questions asked.  oh, i swapped the x2.6 for the x3, and im amlost finished  with the 5th harry potter book.

user posted image

haloloser

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2005, 04:51:00 PM »

i was gonna mount the lcd screen today, but a buddy of mine came over so i just worked on the pain a wee bit. tomorrow ill have some good stuff to post.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

just some shots of the reflection. im not really sure if im going to repaint it or not. up close it has some imperfections i want to get rid of. for now its fine.  we'll be getting a new camera probably by the end of this week, so thats awsome news.

haloloser

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2005, 08:23:00 PM »

the waterblock was finished today.  i bought some rubber gromets along with some bolts to hold it down , and thumb screws.  im going to athens this weekend, but when i get home ill order a radiator, heatshrink, and a few fans.  i just have a few shots of the block.   i was planning on working on the front panel today, but i got busy doing this and at lowes.  i actaully found out how to use to dremel to polish things finally, and im very pleased with the results.

user posted image
this is a test mount on a brokin motherboard i have.  it obviously wont be laying down in the computer...

user posted image
i was skeptical to just have the one support running across the middle, but it did the job great.  in not actually going to stay like this.  i have some more plans to spruce the look of it up.

user posted image
yuck,  let the lapping begin!!!

user posted image
the block is back together with some silicone drying.  you cant tell, but ive polished the bolts too, and they look really good as well.

user posted image
tadaa.

user posted image
another, tadaaa.

user posted image
almost forgot the channel.  its probably 3/16" of and ince from the bottum.

i really appreciate all the work my grandad did on this with me, and for me.  i think he did an amazing job, and he'll probably be helping me more before the project comes to an end.  monday ill leak test this beast.  until next time.

-haloloser-

aepuppetmaster

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2005, 08:27:00 PM »

cool.gif .

haloloser

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2005, 11:59:00 PM »

leak tested the waterblock today when i got back home, and i was having a few slight leek problems with the hose barbs. to fix the problem i added a little silicone to the barb and im waiting on it to dry. im gonna try and scrounge up a y splitter so i can start on my dual hdd mod. until next time.

-haloloser-

SpookieStylez

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2005, 12:40:00 AM »

beerchug.gif

sS

haloloser

• Archived User
Project Wetbox Wip
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2005, 10:24:00 PM »

little update. i worked on homework on and off all day. a guy brought his xbox to me to be modded also, so i worked on that for a bit as well.

at any rate, i did a weee bit, and these are the pics.
user posted image
tadaaa, my dad got a new camera today, but i couldnt use it because it was charging. its a sony cybershot p200. that means i have good pics on the way.

user posted image
i leak tested again before 48 hours because i couldnt wait for it to dry completely. the silicone did its job, and it didnt leak anyways.

user posted image
just another little shot of my little makeshift loop.

user posted image
picked up a dpdt switch for my dual hdd mod, and i found a good place to mount it. i also have some hinges for the trapped door, but i forgot to take a picture of them.

user posted image
a little hippad teaser. this piece of plex will be flush mounted in the front panel. dont worry about the A:/ drive slot. it will be bondoed over.

http://www.dangerden...=3&cat=5&page=1
i orderd a danger den black ice pro radiator. its only big enough for one 120mm fan, but i think it will be more then enough for the xbox.

http://www.dangerden...4&cat=37&page=1
they also have really good deals on this fan. its 120mm and 80cfm. i was thinking about going with a uv blue clear fan, but i thought this matched the theme better. we will know when it gets here.

http://www.dangerden...0&cat=55&page=1
finally stoped buying when i got the uv blue die. it should be shipped out tomorrow so hopefully i will get it before the end of the week.

sorry guys, no pics. i cant insert dynamic links. ill post them when they come in.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18