xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Animated Gifs  (Read 42 times)

Necro-File

• Archived User
Animated Gifs
« on: March 30, 2005, 04:18:00 PM »

I was just wondering if in future versions of XBMC, if animated image files such as GIFs and the less standard, JPEG files would be able to be viewable (with their animations).

Abe87

• Archived User
Animated Gifs
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 09:06:00 PM »

Gifs are supported. Check out the Orbs skin. It has gifs. Also if you check the main Orbs thread you can see how to change the gifs. That is if you want.

nickb834

• Archived User
Animated Gifs
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 11:31:00 PM »

There was a bug in a previous version of XBMC which only showed the first frame of animated gif's. Have a look in a recent changelog and you will see that it has been fixed.

HTH

Nick

Necro-File

• Archived User
Animated Gifs
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 12:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(nickb834 @ Mar 30 2005, 10:31 PM)
There was a bug in a previous version of XBMC which only showed the first frame of animated gif's. Have a look in a recent changelog and you will see that it has been fixed.

HTH

Nick

Then with the newest CVS it should work? I guess I should try it.

Necro-File

• Archived User
Animated Gifs
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »

Just to see if there was a break in communication, I am talking about when in viewing images on XBMC, not in the actual skins themselves. Because I just tried to view an animated .gif with it and it only shows the first frame.

j_guzzler

• Archived User
Animated Gifs
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 06:20:00 AM »

IF only the first frame shows up then you have the one build of XBMC where gifs were broken.  Other than that, the only problem you should have is the gif itself looking like crap, there are certain ways you have to save the gif to get it to show up in XBMC....check out the orbs thread, Kotix describes a few times how to save a gif file so that it can be viewd in XBMC

Necro-File

• Archived User
Animated Gifs
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 07:45:00 PM »

I see that, but it's to get them to show up as part of the skin itself for like the album covers etc. I want to be able to view the animations in "My Pictures" while on a slide show. I have the most recent CVS version which I compiled using the DBR.

Trevante

• Archived User
Animated Gifs
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 09:02:00 PM »

I don't think that's supported yet. I too tried this a while ago (especially when I read that they fixed the animated gifs in the changelog) and I still didn't get anywghere, even with more recent builds.

kof33

• Archived User
Animated Gifs
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 02:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(j_guzzler @ Mar 31 2005, 02:20 PM)
IF only the first frame shows up then you have the one build of XBMC where gifs were broken.  Other than that, the only problem you should have is the gif itself looking like crap, there are certain ways you have to save the gif to get it to show up in XBMC....check out the orbs thread, Kotix describes a few times how to save a gif file so that it can be viewd in XBMC

Can you tell me what page ?
None of my gifs are showing up properly. And after a search I couldnt find a description of how to save one properly..I used keyword gif on each page but I guess I musta missed it.

kotix

• Archived User
Animated Gifs
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 03:11:00 AM »

You need to find in the program you use to make the gif, the option to set the frame delete method to "restore to background".
I use adobe imageready, and after i set that i "save optimized" the gif.
I don't really know if a gif can be shown in "My pictures" section, but that is the way to let the gif work in the skin.
If you'd like to try with one of my gifs, download the media files of my skin from here:
http://www.xbox-skins.net/forums/index.php?download=3200

Cheers :)

eerrrr

• Archived User
Animated Gifs
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 01:06:00 PM »

Regarding this whole animated GIFs issue, does anyone know if it's been fixed yet?  From what I've read, it was fixed in early March, then broke again.  I'm talking about viewing animated GIFs manually through XBMC, not by adding them to your skin (since PMIII appears to use working GIFs).

Currently I only see the first frame of my GIFs.  I've tried kotix's method of setting the frame disposal method to "restore to background" in Adobe ImageReady and Fireworks, but I still only get the first frame.  Even using kotix's own GIFs from his skin, I get the same problem when trying to open them through the file browser.

Are animated GIFs currently not supported?  And if so, does anyone know if they'll be supported in the future?