xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Help W/ Wireless Network, Slow Speeds  (Read 75 times)

XTCEE

• Archived User
Help W/ Wireless Network, Slow Speeds
« on: March 30, 2005, 04:00:00 PM »

I have a wireless G network.  I have a wireless G router, NIC, and bridge.  I have my xbox setup on the bridge that connect to the router, that connects to my computer.  I am having a problem with streaming video.  After a while it starts to stutter and sometimes quits back to the directory listing.  I expected this problem when i had wireless B, but not with G.  I have tried to fool around with the cache options but nothing has worked.  I am using ccxStream and i never had a problem with it when my xbox was hardwired to my router, so I dont believe that ccxStream could be the problem.  Also, my FTP speeds are unbelieveably slow, like 150k/bs and on a G network, it should never be that slow.  Any ideas on how to fix this?  And might it be possible to use my bridge as Ad-Hoc and just connect to my computer, rather than going through the router?  And if it is possible, would i have to change my computer's NIC to be ad-hoc as well, or can i leave it on infrastructer mode?  Thanks in advance.

JohnnyCat

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 10:11:00 PM »

I just setup a wireless network in my house.  Since my computer is in the same room as my XBOX I used a crossover cable and connected my XBOX to the now unused NIC in my computer.

Bridge the LAN and wireless connection.

You may have to force one or both of the connections into compatibility mode to get the bridge to work.  If you do that you may also need to delete the bridge and create a new one.

Read this "Bridge May Not Work With a Non-Promiscuous Mode Network Adapter":
http://support.MS.com/default.aspx?....

XTCEE

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 12:48:00 PM »

no no, when i said i use a bridge i mean i bought a wireless G bridge for my xbox, not bridged the connections.  also that link doesn't work

This post has been edited by XTCEE: Mar 31 2005, 08:49 PM

DeaDSOuLz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 01:46:00 PM »

What bridge / router do you use?  does it support 108mbit mode?  If it does and you are attempting to use it try disabling it and just stay at 54mbits , I was having similar problems with my wireless bridge  and router when using it with my xbox, I disabled the Turbo mode so now its just plain 54mbits/s and its a lot faster for some reason, i got the suggestion from a dlink support rep.

XTCEE

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 11:13:00 AM »

i am using the WGR614 (Netgear).  It does not support 108m/b mode becuase this is a wireless G product.  As far as i know i can not change the actual speed of the router because it auto dectects the speed.  the only speed i can set is on my wireless card, but that is running at either 54mb or 48mb.  However my transfers speeds are nowhere near that.