xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xboxmediacenter.xml Help  (Read 119 times)

SoLo2424

• Archived User
Xboxmediacenter.xml Help
« on: March 22, 2005, 09:50:00 PM »

i just really got into XBMC, and i want to make it my default dash but i am not sure on how to edit the xml yet, i seen one that i really liked, i was wondering if there was a place where we could download peoples edited xmls or if not if people could start to posting some created editing you did on here. it would be greatly appreciated, i just really don't have the time to get into too much right now but i really want to use XBMC as my default dash i am still useing mxm and lets face it...thats dead now, xbmc has so many options i feel like an idiot for just now realizing this. thanks to everyone that is willing to lend a helping hand.

SoLo

ubernewb

• Archived User
Xboxmediacenter.xml Help
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 10:18:00 PM »

i take it that by 'xmls' you mean skins.. xml files are just configuration files for the skins.

check All Xbox Skins or Xbox-Skins

just make sure the skin is compatible with the version of xbmc you're using.

Trevante

• Archived User
Xboxmediacenter.xml Help
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 12:32:00 AM »

No, he was actually referring to the XboxMediaCenter.xml used with XBMC.

Solo2424, just open your XboxMediaCenter.xml with notepad (or any other text editor) and change the home directory to a folder on your Xbox where the XBMC files are, and move the default.xbe and the xboxmediacenter.xml to the C drive, or wherever your bios boots from.

For example, I just recently did my friend's Xbox, and I put XBMC as the default dashboard. My bios is set to load C:\dashboard\default.xbe. Your bios is probably set to load C:\evoxdash.xbe. So then you'd take the default.xbe from Xbox Media Center and copy to the C drive and rename it to evoxdash.xbe. You would also have to move the XboxMediaCenter.xml file to C also.

Next, you need to choose where you want to keep all the other 1500+ files of XBMC. I just created a folder called XBMC in the C drive, and transfered the other files there.

Next, I opened the XboxMediaCenter.xml (If you're using flashfxp, just ftp into your Xbox, right click on it, and go to edit) and changed the home directory to C:\XBMC\. It should look like this:

CODE
C:\XBMC\

Hit save, re-upload it to the Xbox, reboot, and if you did everything properly, it will load XBMC when you turn on your Xbox.

SoLo2424

• Archived User
Xboxmediacenter.xml Help
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 06:29:00 AM »

thanks but i am actually talking about the layout itself. for example now mine has a list on the left side going down (my programs, my pictures, my videos, my music, weather, settings) i would pretty much like somehting a little more conventional, like a a games button on the main menu along with a emulators button , stuff like that. the one i seen that i liked has( arcade games, television,movies, music pictures) going down the left side and accross the bottom was (settings , filemanager, network, weather, msdash)and it has the weather in the bottom right corner.  that is more what i was referring to. thanks for taking the time. thanks for eany help you can give me, it is much appreciated.

SoLo

brian417

• Archived User
Xboxmediacenter.xml Help
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 06:35:00 AM »

editing the .xml to make xbmc the default dash consists of editing one line and litterally only takes a few seconds to do so other peoples xml's are not really going to help you much.  the somewhat complicated part you need to concern yourself with is where to put the files and that would depend on how you have modded your box. for instance I softmodded my box using ude and I never touch anything in the c drive.  I have a folder on my e drive named dashboard and that is where I put the default .xbe and the xboxmediacenter.xml. the rest of the files I put in e\apps\xbmc.

edit: your oringinal post indicated you needed help making xbmc your default dashboard now you seem to be asking for help with skins.  

what you are talking about is a skin.xml issue and not xboxmediacenter.xml.

This post has been edited by brian417: Mar 23 2005, 02:44 PM

SoLo2424

• Archived User
Xboxmediacenter.xml Help
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 07:06:00 AM »

i believe i am talking about the xboxmediacenter.xml, it looks like the layout for the main menu is in there, the my programs, my pictures, my videos, etc...that is what i want to change, put a straight link to games on the main menu  so i don't have to to to my pregrams then to games, maybe that is in the skin.xml but it looks like all that is in the xboxmediacenter.xml, i was hoping that people have already had them edited and i could this copy the code into mine. thanks

SoLo

i could send you a screen shot the the one i like, if that would give you an idea of that i mean, if you have aim i could give it to to real quick

This post has been edited by SoLo2424: Mar 23 2005, 03:07 PM

brian417

• Archived User
Xboxmediacenter.xml Help
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 07:16:00 AM »

actually were both wrong. it's still a skin issue and not xboxmediacenter xml. instead of skin.xml you need to look for dialogbutton.xml in the pal folder of the skin. but I am not sure if this can be edited the way you are wanting to do it though.

SoLo2424

• Archived User
Xboxmediacenter.xml Help
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 07:27:00 AM »

thanks for your help, if you ever find out anything new could you post, i am pretty sure it can be done, my buddy sent me a pic of one that someone eles did and the buttons were all edited and it looks really sweet, i have to look into  it more, i am pretty sure it is in the xboxmediacenter.xml because i see stuff like this in it

<myprograms>
    <default>F:\Games\,F:\HDDLoader\</default>
    <bookmark>
      <name>Games</name>
      <path>F:\Games\,F:\HDDLoader\</path>
      <depth>1</depth>
    </bookmark>
    <bookmark>
      <name>Emulators</name>
      <path>E:\Emulators\</path>
      <depth>1</depth>
    </bookmark>
    <bookmark>
      <name>Programs</name>
      <path>E:\Apps\,C:\xboxdash.xbe</path>
      <depth>1</depth>
    </bookmark>
    <bookmark>
      <name>DVD-Game</name>
      <path>D:\default.xbe</path>
      <depth>1</depth>
    </bookmark>
  </myprograms>

<video>
        <default></default>
        <bookmark>
            <name>E Drive</name>
            <path>E:\</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>F drive</name>
            <path>F:\</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>G drive</name>
            <path>G:\</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>DVD-ROM drive</name>
            <path>D:\</path>
        </bookmark>

<bookmark>
            <name>XNS Network Share</name>
            <path>xns://192.168.0.1:1400/</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>XBMSP Network Share</name>
            <path>xbms://192.168.0.1:1400/</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>XBMSP Network Servers (Auto-Discover)</name>
            <path>xbms://</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>SMB Network Share</name>

<path>smb://DOMAIN;username:pwd@MyWindowsServer/movies/</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>WORKGROUP (SMB) Network</name>
            <path>smb://</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>ReplayTV</name>
            <path>rtv://*/</path>
        </bookmark>
    </video>

<music>
        <default></default>
        <bookmark>
            <name>C Drive</name>
            <path>C:\</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>E Drive</name>
            <path>E:\</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>F drive</name>
            <path>F:\</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>G drive</name>
            <path>G:\</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>DVD-ROM drive</name>
            <path>D:\</path>
        </bookmark>

but i could be completely wrong, well thanks and if you find out anything new please keep me inform, i will do likewise

SoLo

gunza

• Archived User
Xboxmediacenter.xml Help
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 08:39:00 PM »

the .xml file you need to look for is located in the skins folder that you want to edit...it is called home.xml

nuka1195

• Archived User