xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Using 2tb External Hdd With Xbmc  (Read 57 times)

TucanJones

• Archived User
Using 2tb External Hdd With Xbmc
« on: August 27, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »

I just wondered if anybody could tell me if it would be possible to stream content direct from an eternal 2tb HDD via ethernet to xbmc?
Just a thought i had, thanks.

obcd

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »

Since you say the interface is ethernet, I asume that the drive can work as a NAS device.
In such a case, it's partitions should be accessible like windows shared folders on a windows pc, and such
shares are accessible by xbmc.

External USB memory devices (like USB sticks) are limited to 4 GB.
Only some usb memory devices are compatible with the xbox.

regards.

TucanJones

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 06:26:00 AM »

Ok thanks obcd, do you or anybody else know if this would work with a standard 2tb drive?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-100Mbps-LAN-NAS-D...DriveEnclosures

Also would the xbox see all the data on the 2tb drive without any problems or is it just too big.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by TucanJones: Aug 28 2010, 02:01 PM

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »

XBMC doesn't care about the capacity of a network-accessed drive. You can go to town there. That adapter description page reckons it can handle 2tb drives, though I'm a bit confused as to why the file size limit would be listed as 127gb if it only supports FAT32 (which has a filesize cap of 4gb). 127gb just so happens to be pretty close to the pre-LBA48 limit on partition sizes; but odds are that figure is just there by error.

TucanJones

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »

XBMC doesn't care about the capacity of a network-accessed drive. You can go to town there. That adapter description page reckons it can handle 2tb drives, though I'm a bit confused as to why the file size limit would be listed as 127gb if it only supports FAT32 (which has a filesize cap of 4gb). 127gb just so happens to be pretty close to the pre-LBA48 limit on partition sizes; but odds are that figure is just there by error.

Thanks for the responce Bomb Bloke, i dont know much about networks and streaming so does the file size limit refer to an individual file or the size of a folder, and does it mean for streaming the file or actualy transfering it?

If i wasnt clear enough before what i was looking to do was to be able to stream media to my xbox without having to involve my computer at all. So basicaly i would just have an eternal 2tb hdd or media caddy, and connect it somehow using an ethernet cable etc to the xbox and be able to access my media in XBMC. There are media caddys on ebay with LAN connections and then theres that NAS Dongle, which i thought could both be possible options, but maybe im way off the mark.

So Bomb Bloke, i know you know your stuff, so do you think this would be possible or do you know of any other way to do this?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »

The file size limit is for an individual file, and for storing files on the Xbox. For streaming it doesn't matter.

You can stream the media from any network connected device that supports the required file size and protocols, including a dedicated NAS or a NAS dongle.

TucanJones

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »

Thanks, Heimdall.

What about this, could this be made to work with external hdd and ethernet cable ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-RJ45-LAN-Eth...g_Networking_SM

Or am i just being silly now?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »

TucanJones

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »

Ive just bought a WD 2TB Hard Drive and a HDD Enclosure it seems to work fine with my laptop but when i tryed connecting it to my computer which is connected to a hdtv in the bedroom it caused huge amounts of electromagnetic interference so im guessing it would be the same when connected to my xbox.

As i said before i was hoping to just connect a hard drive to the xbox and be able to play my media from it, without having to keep my laptop switched on. So a few more questions for you guys and i appreciate that you may not have all the answers.

Any chance that going through a nas dongle would get rid of this interference?

If i bought one of these media players  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-HD...=item35a89c43bd  and i was to simply run an ethernet lead from the LAN socket to the xbox would the xbox be able to recognise it and stream the media?

I know nothing at all about routers & hubs etc, so is there another way to stream media to the xbox without involving my laptop that i may be overlooking?

And finaly, how have you guys got your xbox's set up for streaming and how does it work out for you?

Ive used XBMC as my dash and for playing games for a couple of years but ive only just come to realise what im missing out on when it comes to playing media. So as always any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(TucanJones @ Sep 7 2010, 11:34 AM) *

Ive just bought a WD 2TB Hard Drive and a HDD Enclosure it seems to work fine with my laptop but when i tryed connecting it to my computer which is connected to a hdtv in the bedroom it caused huge amounts of electromagnetic interference so im guessing it would be the same when connected to my xbox.

what enclosure did you buy? and how was it connected to the laptop and TV?

As i said before i was hoping to just connect a hard drive to the xbox and be able to play my media from it, without having to keep my laptop switched on. So a few more questions for you guys and i appreciate that you may not have all the answers.
Any chance that going through a nas dongle would get rid of this interference?

it would have to use a NAS, the xbox wont recognize USB drives over 4gb

If i bought one of these media players  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-HD...=item35a89c43bd  and i was to simply run an ethernet lead from the LAN socket to the xbox would the xbox be able to recognise it and stream the media?

i doubt it, the media player is just as it says, a media player not a media server, in other words it would basically be a replacement for the xbox, not a supplement, also it doesnt seem to have the best reviews

I know nothing at all about routers & hubs etc, so is there another way to stream media to the xbox without involving my laptop that i may be overlooking?

a proper NAS enclosure with SMB would be best (not sure if this is the kind you bought already or if you just got a USB enclosure) heres one on US amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-Nst-375Lx-Bk-...k/dp/B000HKM24K
not sure whats available in the UK

And finaly, how have you guys got your xbox's set up for streaming and how does it work out for you?

i actually set up a second computer to host all my media, it really doesnt take much to be able to serve xvid over a network, i used an old 1.2ghz celeron with 128mb ram for the longest time, it also allowed me to expand my capacity beyond a single drive, and add more functionality (now im using a 2.2ghz athlon and i have a TV tuner card to record tv shows)

This post has been edited by lordvader129: Sep 7 2010, 11:35 PM

TucanJones

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 11:14:00 AM »

Thanks for the help lordvader129.

what enclosure did you buy? and how was it connected to the laptop and TV?

I bought this one, http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/15957789/CiT...re/Product.html     It was simply connected to the laptop with a usb lead and connected via usb to my computer in  my bedroom which was then connected via vga to the tv, and as i said the tv suffered terrible static interference.

I took a look at the NAS enclosure you mentioned but the reviews to it were mixed. I found this one though on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Do you think that would be up to the job? Id appreciate your opinion.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 09:24:00 PM »

since it has a fan i wonder if thats what was causing the interference with the tv

and yes, that NAS should do the job, SAMBA is the easiest way to stream media to the xbox, its the same protocol as shared folders in windows