xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Noobs Guide To Flashing Your Bios  (Read 5741 times)

Good-vs-Evil

• Archived User
Noobs Guide To Flashing Your Bios
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2003, 04:32:00 AM »

HI,

Thanx for the reply, i won't bother mucking around anymore, it works for me as is!

One thing i did notice: b4 i had the 4976 bios that came with my mod chip. Everything works perfectly. Including ghost recon island thunder. But since updating my bios to 4977 GR island thunder no longer loads. I've re-installed to my hdd, inc patches and repatched my self. basicly i've tried various methiods but i get black screen all the time. Its not too much of a problem coz i aint totally down with the game, But im just making it known this game no longer works with the updated bios. I will go back to my first bios and try the game again to see what happens.

moola

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2003, 11:54:00 PM »

I need to upgrade my bios (going for x2 4977) and with my OpenXbox chip I thought I had to open it up an flash the old fashioned way with the PC etc... has this changed? Can I use this evox method with my lik-sang OpenXbox?

Many thanks smile.gif

j051499

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2003, 10:34:00 AM »

Hello All,

I need a little help here with flashing my X2.  I have an Xecuter 2.0 Lite.  It came pre-flashed with X2 4973 1.0.  I've searched the forums and read several tutorials, and near as I can tell, I'm the first person who has asked about the following problem.

When I try to flash the bios to 4977, my Xbox triple boots, followed by flashing red/green around the eject button.  Here are the steps I've taken:
1) Remove X2 mod chip from mobo
2) Remove Flash jumper from mod chip
3) Replace mod chip on mobo and reconnect all the drives and power supplies
4) Turn on Xbox
5) That's it - as soon as I hit the power button, I get the triple boot followed by alternating red/green flashing light

FYI, I've tried putting the Flash jumper back on and removing just the Bios jumper, thinking maybe my X2 was mis-labeled somehow, but the Xbox does the same thing once I start it up - it triple boots, then flashes red/green.  I've also tried removing BOTH jumpers - the Flash and Bios jumpers - and I get the same triple boot.  And I've tried removing just the middle jumper, which disables the mod chip, and I get the expected error that says my Xbox needs servicing (b/c my HDD isn't locked).

When I put all the jumpers back on, the Xbox works perfectly - no problems starting it whatsoever, so I know I didn't fry the chip or the mobo or anything else.  I can't believe I'm the only one who's had this problem, so if someone else has experienced it, can you give me your tips on how you finally got around the triple boot?

Thank You!

j051499

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »

Hey, it worked.  I'm not sure what I did differently - I just kept removing the mod chip from the mobo and fooling around with the jumpers, and it worked.  It booted find with the flash jumper off, I flashed it to X2 4977, and it rebooted perfectly.

bama51

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2003, 06:29:00 AM »

Thanks for the great post.  I have a quick noob question about my chameleon running evox.  I want to flash my bios, but when I try it, I get an error that the flash is write protected.  I have tried to put my chameleon in modes 1 and 4, and nothing changes.  I understand that you can add some lines to your evox.ini to use a software control of the chip and its modes, but when I add the following lines, the choices show up, but I can't choose them.  

Section "Chameleon Mode 1",ID_Chameleon_Mode_1
{
Line "Mode 1 (4x256k)"
Item "Switch To TSOP (Disable Chameleon)",ID_Chameleon_Release_D0,ID_Full_Reboot
Item "Switch To Bank 0",ID_Chameleon_Bank_0,ID_Full_Reboot
Item "Switch To Bank 1",ID_Chameleon_Bank_1,ID_Full_Reboot
Item "Switch To Bank 2",ID_Chameleon_Bank_2,ID_Full_Reboot
Item "Switch To Bank 3",ID_Chameleon_Bank_3,ID_Full_Reboot
Line "-=*-*=-"
Item "Flash Bank 0",ID_Chameleon_Bank_0,ID_Flash_Bios
Item "Flash Bank 1",ID_Chameleon_Bank_1,ID_Flash_Bios
Item "Flash Bank 2",ID_Chameleon_Bank_2,ID_Flash_Bios
Item "Flash Bank 3",ID_Chameleon_Bank_3,ID_Flash_Bios
}

Please help if you can.  I really want to flash my bios to something besides what I am running.

TIAGM3

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2003, 11:37:00 PM »

QUOTE (nix2k @ Jul 15 2003, 11:16 PM)
-- Flash = 0x01d5,"AMD - Am29F080B",0x100000

As far as I know, anyone using X2 chips just need that line in their flash section. As for other chips, no idea, I use an X2.1 lite, and thats the line you need.

This tutorial was tits!   biggrin.gif  Helped me out a lot!  I had to read it like 5 times though  blink.gif  Thanks!

ninja friend

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2003, 07:58:00 PM »

Unreal7000- Just wanted to say thanks.
The thought of flashing my bios horrified me. I have heard so many stories of people turning Xboxes into paperweights because of bad flashes.
After reading your thread, I finally got up the nerve to go ahead and update to 4977... and everything went smooth as can be. Your directions were very explicit, and you made it easy to get the job done. Hell, even a complete tool like me was able to flash the bios, complete with all sorts of unecessary things like ditching the trademark logo, and modding the various colors of the boot logo.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. biggrin.gif

barbapapa5800

• Archived User
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2003, 11:42:00 AM »

great tut.

i am getting the error "filesize to big" when trying to flash a 1024k bios   ( 4977).

the problem is that i don't know what kind of chip is installed.

a had my xbox modded by someone who makes his own mod chips.

therefor i don't know how big the banks are.

can i try a 512k bios whitout the risk of fu***ng it up?

or how do i find out how big the banks are?

thnx

Unreal7000

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2003, 05:44:00 PM »

Can you not ask the person who made it?
But yes 512K would be the next down.  So I would assume that it would be ok to try.  If you still get the same error try 256k.  

This post has been edited by Unreal7000: Sep 12 2003, 12:45 AM

barbapapa5800

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2003, 04:32:00 AM »

sad.gif  i tryed 512 without result.

then 256, that whas ok...

thnx for the reply...

elfey1

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2003, 04:59:00 AM »

thanx for the tutorial! i successfully flashed my Xecuter2.0Lite with the 4977 with LBA48 support. Woohoo!

beerchug.gif

op_ivy

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2003, 01:34:00 PM »

i flashed my x2 pro today with 4977 and TATX_duel_debug. upon the reboot (with the switches set for the XTAT bios), the xbox would power on, then off, then on, then off again. i powered down, then rebooted with the 4977 bios and it works fine (2 and 4 on).

however, now how do i go about re-flashing the bios if i cant get the xbox to boot with only 4 on?

Unreal7000

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2003, 01:44:00 PM »

I thought you could flash the pro with your computer?

op_ivy

• Archived User
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2003, 06:30:00 AM »

i guess thats my question. how do i do that?

Unreal7000

• Archived User
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2003, 07:38:00 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7