xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Network Problems  (Read 53 times)

ABzHQ2k

• Archived User
Network Problems
« on: March 11, 2005, 04:38:00 AM »

The last few days I've been playing about with XBMC, setting it up to stream content off my PC etc, I read a few tutorials and searched about and got that set up fine, today I decided to set it up for ICS to start using scripts and stream content from the net.

So heres the problem.

If I set it up as a manual [Static] I can ftp into the box, stream off my PC using ccXstream and the weather. (This works with firewall enabled)

If I set up Automatic [DHCP] I can do everything except ftp into the box, but I'm not to worried about that as I can use evox for ftp access. (This only works with firewall shutdown)

I'm using ZoneAlarm As my firewall (and have read the tuts about ICS) and am connecting with a crossover cable directly connected from xbox to PC.

So what really I'd like to be able to set it up so I can do everything with the firewall enabled, but if not at least be able to do all but have ftp access with the firewall on.

So if you can help please do.

Thanks

kevlar69

• Archived User
Network Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 05:23:00 AM »

So what can't you do with a static ip? It is worth getting static working correctly in the long run, I have 3 pc's and an xbox connected to my router, as well as a wireless connection to my pda, if I leave it all up to DHCP it works, but sooner or later is changes the ips around which screws everything up.

Kevlar

This post has been edited by kevlar69: Mar 11 2005, 01:26 PM

ABzHQ2k

• Archived User
Network Problems
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 05:30:00 AM »

With a static IP I cant get rss feeds, cant stream content off the net, no scripts work radio dosent work, shoutcast doesnt work, only thing I can do is stream content off my PC and get  ftp access.

However I have now managed to get ftp access working on DHCP so now everything works, but if zonealarm is on I lose all all internet access to XBMC except the weather but it takes longer to show up than if the firewall is off.

So now I just need to get DHCP working with the firewall on.

keithacole

• Archived User
Network Problems
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 05:32:00 AM »

kevlar69 is telling you the best thing...
ill tell you what i do.

i have my xbox, network printer, laptop, and 2 routers all between 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.5 i set my router to start giving out ips(DHCP) after 192.168.0.6 so that way if a friend comes over, with a laptop or pda or xbox, then he gets the dynamic ip's.

that way my 'xbox disk' link on my desktop is never broken. and i have my firewall up and intrusion detection and everykind of other security between Norton/McAfee/MS has to offer. but i tell those programs to ignore addresses in my static range( i mentioned above)

ABzHQ2k

• Archived User
Network Problems
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 05:39:00 AM »

If I set it to a static IP though all I can do is ftp and stream off my PC, this is with the firewall on and off.

EDIT: Ok I've now got everything working with a static IP but am still having problems with the firewall enabled.

This post has been edited by ABzHQ2k: Mar 11 2005, 01:48 PM

kevlar69

• Archived User
Network Problems
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 06:03:00 AM »

I'm not familiar with zonealarm but I would think you have to allow full access to the xbox ip in preferences somewhere in zonealarm. I'm sure there is something somewhere in tutorial or the manual about getting networking and firewalls set up correctly.

Kevlar

ABzHQ2k

• Archived User
Network Problems
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 02:24:00 PM »

Well I've finally got it all sorted out now and everything works fine with a static IP.

Thanks