xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Play Movies Like They Were Ment To Be Played.  (Read 95 times)

weeman666

• Archived User
Play Movies Like They Were Ment To Be Played.
« on: March 10, 2005, 07:51:00 AM »

i started to back up my dvd colection and i used dvd2xbox to copy it and i said it was a movie when it asked was it a movie or a game, and then when it was done i opened xbmc and tryed to watch it, and then all i could do is brows the file tree and watch parts of the movie, is their a way that i can go into xbmc and just click on the movie and have it play like i am watching it on a dvd player? thanks.

Mr Nobody

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 08:13:00 AM »

XBMC doesn't currently support DVD menus so you have to play them as files.  That being said, even if you used the xbox dash or dvd region free, it won't load files off the HD as a DVD.  It must be on disc.

elupus

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 10:25:00 AM »

xbmc doesn't support menus is right, but it does support watching it properly. Just start the video_ts.ifo file.

j_guzzler

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 10:29:00 AM »

play the .ifo file, that will play the whole dvd (minus the menus) 95% of the time

S1ack

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 10:33:00 AM »

1) Turn on stacking
2) Set it to fuzzy
3) play first 1gig file in a title-set

4) enjoy the extra 2 minutes of your life you get back by not having to sit throught those fucking locked-out FBI warnings and previews.

weeman666

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 03:08:00 PM »

1) Turn on stacking
2) Set it to fuzzy
3) play first 1gig file in a title-set

4) enjoy the extra 2 minutes of your life you get back by not having to sit throught those fucking locked-out FBI warnings and previews.

can you simplify that a little, like tell me the exact steps on how to do that, because i looked and i am totally lost. thanks agin for the quick responces.

S1ack

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 06:33:00 PM »

A few beers in me but here goes.

first off why use DVD2xbox when assuming you have a pc you could be ripping using DVDdecrypter & getting alot more control over the process. (Like just ripping the feature film & NOT the 'extras') Plus it's hella faster than dvd2xbox. Sorrt for sounding like cartman, beers remember.

back on topic...
under settings, my video, should be option for turning stacking on/off.
(perhaps it's on the left hand side of the screen when in my videos, i dunno and I;m too tired to walk downstairs)

Turn it on. (stacking that is)

Now nav to the first 1gig file in a title-set such as "VTS_23_1.VOB"
Press select (or the equivalent on the controller)
you should see 4 perhaps 5 little cd icon thingys scroll accross the top of the gui.
press select again and XBMC plays them as an 'instant playlist' in order,  if they are intelligently named (which they will be if ripped)
or you could nav left/right to select a different 'cd icon thingy' to start viewing.

A slight delay will accompany the change from "VTS_23_1.VOB" to "VTS_23_2.VOB". Still larger delay if this change is accross an SMB share.

Of course you could doll it up with names like "Shark Tale 01.vob" etc.... and a folder.jpg .

hope that clears it up abit.

ubernewb

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 10:15:00 PM »

i don't understand why people want to waste so much hdd space by burning teh entire movie... good lord, 4-7gb for one movie? screw that garbage

dvd decrypter and autogk .... look into it. check out www.doom9.org for details. a little fyi, i shrink mine down to 1gb... could go smaller but they start looking fuzzy on the 52" ... that's 4-7 movies in the same space as your 1

S1ack

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 06:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(ubernewb @ Mar 11 2005, 06:15 AM)
i don't understand why people want to waste so much hdd space by burning teh entire movie... good lord, 4-7gb for one movie? screw that garbage

dvd decrypter and autogk .... look into it. check out www.doom9.org for details. a little fyi, i shrink mine down to 1gb... could go smaller but they start looking fuzzy on the 52" ... that's 4-7 movies in the same space as your 1

OK brainiac.

Last night I choked my f: partition with one movie too many. I keep all my kid's movies on the local hdd so no matter what state my network & pcs are in I can put on a flick for them. And I have Divx'd some things (mostly animated stuff)

And I hear what you are saying, and agree to a certain point.

BUT

until last night (I filled my xbox hdd) I really didn't care about the size of the movies....

1) the time & cpu hogging it takes to compress
2) I like being able to select the audio stream I wanna listen to on the fly. (hold on, lemme finish))
3) I can always host the file on an SMB share (no real size limits)
4) the bulk of my movies I do not keep for ever, watch & delete (excluding the kiddy stuff)

And while I'm sure there are ways to acheive DD & DTS with DivX and or Xvid. It's a cost - benefit thing. Lemme explain....I decrypt & ftp to xboxen: thats 30 minutes of one of my PC's being tied up. If I decrypt & re-encode & ftp to xboxen: that's all night! (my best PC is getting long on the tooth) So I choose not to do it.

Furthermore, as you elluded to, the quality, while remarkable for the file size, the difference is noticable on my Plasma. Seems the color depth suffers, and I DO NOT have the time to tweak encoding setting to the nth power.

So in other words, to each his own.

Now if you can enlighten me on some whiz bang software that'll automagically convert ripped vobs to mpeg4 & keep ALL the audio tracks & subpictures intact, I'm all ears.

I'm off to doom9 to investigate.

EDIT: OK now I feel stupid. Last time I looked at gordian knot it was strictly command line with a bazillion switches. Not something I wanted to take the time to learn. This autoGK seems to be the ticket.

Thanks ubernewb, guess you really are a brainiac.  :D

This post has been edited by S1ack: Mar 11 2005, 02:21 PM

jim80b

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 06:28:00 AM »

dude just use damn dvds...
no waiting, put a film in.... play it....
take it out.........

i dont get why you are putting them on hdd in first place, my 3 year old knows how to put discs in

i played with "easydivx" and that will keep the dolby digital but again wasnt worth the effort, too much time so i could put 6 films on a dvd, if you are worried about the originals getting scratched then do a backup.
whats 40p for the piece of mind, my dvds now sit on a high shelf
daughter uses the backups (and they play fine with LOTS of scratches in them)

nevermind

This post has been edited by jim80b: Mar 11 2005, 02:29 PM

S1ack

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 09:02:00 AM »

suppose all your AV gear is in an equipment rack one floor below, out of sight.

or just suppose I don't wanna handle disks anymore

or just suppose I don't like sitting through FBI warnings and trailers

or suppose that for the lions share of my disks I dont wanna make back ups. It's far easier to rip & ftp the main movie over.

IMHO
YMMV

yada yada yada...

Like I said above.
To each his own.

jim80b

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 10:32:00 AM »

i hear you,
sorry,  i had posted and then found you had already posted, so i edited (added the nevermind blah blah)

i also have some video on the hdd, and on pc upstairs (mainly) so i get the point, its like xbox games, put them on the hdd and instantly you find the couch a better place, no more getting up and ejecting (and having to find the case in a pile, and its always the bottom one)  etc

i understand the benefits.

anyway everyones happy doing it their own way...

weeman666

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 01:17:00 PM »

S1ack thanks for the info on how to do it, and ubernewb thanks for the info, but my xbox and my computer are not networked due to lack of nic card in my crappy ass compaq, (i could add one but that would cost me 5 bucks and id rather let the dvd take up more space on my hdd,) and i want the extas to be with my movie, its a unicycling movie and it has about an hour of extra crashs and its pretty funny. anyways thanks for the help, i did not expect this many people to post.

SUBLOGIC

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2005, 11:31:00 PM »

5 bucks??? just get the card!!!
thats pocket money dude!!
Youd rather fill your expensive HDD than get a cheap arsed 5$ nic?

Each to their own but, your crazy!!!

celinedrules

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2005, 12:01:00 AM »

Play Movies Like They Were Ment To Be Played., how to do this,
Stick them in your DVD player. That is how they were meant to be played.
Pages: [1] 2