xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: What Brand Dvd Drive Will The Xbox 360 Have?  (Read 371 times)

krackheadbill

• Archived User
What Brand Dvd Drive Will The Xbox 360 Have?
« on: September 21, 2005, 10:26:00 PM »

If anyone wants a good reason to wait a couple weeks after launch to get a new xbox 360 I think this is it. I can imagine the different brands of drives they might be using....I don't want to get stuck with a shit drive like the thompson....

Oh yeah... and even if all these formats are supported:  DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD, I still think it may be worth it to wait for the drive that performs the best.

This post has been edited by krackheadbill: Sep 22 2005, 05:34 AM

lex luther

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 12:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(krackheadbill @ Sep 22 2005, 12:30 AM)
If anyone wants a good reason to wait a couple weeks after launch to get a new xbox 360 I think this is it. I can imagine the different brands of drives they might be using....I don't want to get stuck with a shit drive like the thompson....

Oh yeah... and even if all these formats are supported:  DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD, I still think it may be worth it to wait for the drive that performs the best.

Well then you go right a head and wait!! :lol:

amb7247

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 01:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(lex luther @ Sep 22 2005, 02:12 AM)
Well then you go right a head and wait!! :lol:

I'm not worried about the DVD drive. If there is anything wrong with it M$ shall replace it free of charge. After all I am paying 400 for it.

TKramka

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 05:15:00 PM »

And let me be the 1st to start the flame war... Thomsons don't suck, they work fine. :evil:

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 07:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(TKramka @ Sep 22 2005, 07:19 PM)
And let me be the 1st to start the flame war... Thomsons don't suck, they work fine. :evil:

Thomsons do work fine...

The only problem any Xbox DVD drive had was that they couldn't read CD-Rs... WHY? because MS didn't require the drive manufacturers to make them read CD-Rs.... hell some of the Xbox drives don't even have CD-R support in their firmware, meaning it could have the best laser in the world and still not read them.

The only people I know who have had problems with Thompsons are those who've futzed around with them trying to make them do things they weren't designed to do.

The 360 doesn't have that problem because it's REQUIRED to have support for all the burned media formats.

BTW.. the best drives are made buy NEC, HP, and Sony  :P

joerehall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 10:10:00 PM »

first off.. i have a thomson.. and its NEVER given me any problems with cd-rw's or cd-r's  and my xbox is like 4 years old.. but anyways to answer your question.. the XeDK's had samsung drives in them.. i believe they are toshiba samsung's i dunno if there the co-developing them or what the deal is with that tho.. source: smartxx pics

krackheadbill

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »

Hmmmm my main beef with the tompson is it would skip sometimes in the middle of a dvd movie for no reason. This happened on some movies that were absolutely brand new.... I saw this happen on a few different boxes. I think some of you know about the issue im talking about. It happened mostly with earlier boxes w/ thomson drives...I would hate to see this happen on the 360. I hope they restrict the 360 to sammy only....

Infamous_One

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(krackheadbill @ Sep 22 2005, 06:30 AM)

Oh yeah... and even if all these formats are supported:  DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD, I still think it may be worth it to wait for the drive that performs the best.

The XBox360 DVD Drive is a Samsung-Toshiba DVD Drive.

TKramka

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 05:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Sep 22 2005, 10:30 PM)
...snip...

The only people I know who have had problems with Thompsons are those who've futzed around with them trying to make them do things they weren't designed to do.

...snip...

BTW.. the best drives are made buy NEC, HP, and Sony  :P

I've futzed around with several Thomsons and they still work fine :D And, have you ever noticed that the NEC DV-5700A looks alot like a Thomson?

And BTW: A properly tweaked Thomson can read some CDRs (not all, but I havn't had a problem)

(IMG:http://i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/25/e2/da_1_b.JPG)

This post has been edited by TKramka: Sep 25 2005, 12:38 AM

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 06:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(TKramka @ Sep 24 2005, 07:39 PM)
I've futzed around with several Thomsons and they still work fine :D And, have you ever noticed that the NEC DV-5700A looks alot like a Thomson?

And BTW: A properly tweaked Thomson can read some CDRs (not all, but I havn't had a problem)

(IMG:http://i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/25/e2/da_1_b.JPG)

I never noticed the differences between the Thomsons and the NECs, interesting.

I wasn't saying that a tweaked Thomson would die on you, just that left to it's own devices it wont have any problems, I know that tweaked Thomsons can read some CDRs because one of my Thomsons is tweaked and coupled with my NEC burner and good media it will read my CDRs every time. I was simply saying that some people end up making their drive worse trying to tweak it, end up with problems, and then chalk it up to being the drives fault  :lol:

Moleman

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 08:23:00 PM »

My Thompson worked fine for 3.5 years, and then it rapidly deteriorated, so I just put a 616t in there, and it works great.

tNCecil

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »

Mine lasted for 3 years too, until i dropped the drive on accident lol. Still would be working too...

Ozy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 04:02:00 AM »

I've had 4 thompsons and all have had DDE from original media. My release day box had problems read halo after only 3 months.

microsizeboy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2005, 10:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(Moleman @ Sep 25 2005, 04:27 AM)
My Thompson worked fine for 3.5 years, and then it rapidly deteriorated, so I just put a 616t in there, and it works great.

As did mine...hopefully it'll last another 2 months.

freakmanultra

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 12:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ozy @ Sep 25 2005, 06:06 AM)
I've had 4 thompsons and all have had DDE from original media. My release day box had problems read halo after only 3 months.

the only proplem ive seen with ANY xbox dvd drive depends on how much dust you let get in there. But that is my experience.