xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Kaleidescape Skin  (Read 1973 times)

slumberpod77

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2006, 02:38:00 PM »

if you are using a 16:9 display then you gotta edit the MyVideos.xml in pal16x9 smile.gif

rockdawg

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2006, 05:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(slumberpod77 @ Jun 30 2006, 09:51 PM) *

(IMG:http://static.flickr.com/48/178763279_823dffc789_o.jpg)
started screwing around, and realized first of all that i need to know some dimensions for box art.
as you can see, i have a bunch of different kinds of box & poster art that i'm using currently.
190 tall by 135 wide would allow for three rows and 5 columns on screen with a 1 pixel wide border per item. some border is required to make the items navigatable, otherwise you lose your cursor a lot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
5x137 = 685. that leaves a 35 pixel wide margin which would probably work out just fine for the button stack, either on the left or the right.
gimme some more info on the image sizes you folks use/would prefer.

Lookin kick ass!! My suggestion for cover size would be at least as big as PM3's "big icon" view.  Figure how many columns you can get in with that size and then make them a little bigger to fill in any left over unused space.  Your example screen shot looks pretty good to me.  

One suggestion. I would like to see the file counter remain somewhere on the screen.  I use it to do a quick check against the counter in Files view to make sure I've scanned in all my movies.

fredmon

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 06:16:00 AM »

slumberpod77 where is the prototype... hurry up. LOL

slumberpod77

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2006, 06:52:00 AM »

i am thinking what i'm gonna do is decide on a set size i use for my flat rectangular icons. each time i look at the screenshot i posted, i am like "wow, thats annoying how half of them are slightly off sad.gif"
to test stuff out, i am gonna make all my icon graphics 300 pixels wide & 422 high, which is the same proportions as the 135x192 used to display the icons in the screenshot, and is about the average of all the box shots which i like best in terms of proportion.
i am gonna use a plain black background and use the gray seen in this screnshot for the grid lines. i will use the skin's hot color (in this case lime green) for the "selected" grid lines.

i am thinking i'll try out some aspectratio settings on the thumbs i spend a crapload of time resizing all my thumbs (i got kindof a lot of movies).
this is from the XBMC manual's guide to the thumbnail panel control:

-aspectratio-
This specifies how the image will be drawn inside the box defined by <width> and <height>. When set to “keep” the images aspect ratio will be kept, and the image will be resized to fit inside the <width>,<height> box (with transparent bars if the ratios are not the same). When set to “stretch”, the image will be stretched to <width> by <height> pixels (it's aspect ratio will therefore be lost). When set to “scale” then the box will be resized so that it completely fills the <width>,<height> box and any portions of the image outside the box will be cropped off.

seems like on images this small, where the variance between thumb sizes is a couple pixels, either stretch or scale modes would work ok and give that nice uniform grid appearance we are going for.
more later, must sleep smile.gif

fredmon

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2006, 07:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(slumberpod77 @ Jul 2 2006, 01:59 PM) *

i am thinking what i'm gonna do is decide on a set size i use for my flat rectangular icons. each time i look at the screenshot i posted, i am like "wow, thats annoying how half of them are slightly off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)"
to test stuff out, i am gonna make all my icon graphics 300 pixels wide & 422 high, which is the same proportions as the 135x192 used to display the icons in the screenshot, and is about the average of all the box shots which i like best in terms of proportion.
i am gonna use a plain black background and use the gray seen in this screnshot for the grid lines. i will use the skin's hot color (in this case lime green) for the "selected" grid lines.

i am thinking i'll try out some aspectratio settings on the thumbs i spend a crapload of time resizing all my thumbs (i got kindof a lot of movies).
this is from the XBMC manual's guide to the thumbnail panel control:

-aspectratio-
This specifies how the image will be drawn inside the box defined by <width> and <height>. When set to “keep” the images aspect ratio will be kept, and the image will be resized to fit inside the <width>,<height> box (with transparent bars if the ratios are not the same). When set to “stretch”, the image will be stretched to <width> by <height> pixels (it's aspect ratio will therefore be lost). When set to “scale” then the box will be resized so that it completely fills the <width>,<height> box and any portions of the image outside the box will be cropped off.

seems like on images this small, where the variance between thumb sizes is a couple pixels, either stretch or scale modes would work ok and give that nice uniform grid appearance we are going for.
more later, must sleep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Sound good to me. Can't wait.

fredmon

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 03:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(fredmon @ Jul 2 2006, 02:39 PM) View Post

Sound good to me. Can't wait.

bump^

BritneysPAIRS

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »

ive done this, but it had issues. If I could have used aspect ratio modes like everything else I would have stuck with it, and it also has an issue that any file in movies doesnt have folder art attached like music so your TV shows just come up as discs with no name on them. Both things as yet arnt supported in CVS smile.gif

slumberpod77

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2006, 10:28:00 PM »

thats a non-issue because this modification is designed with the assumption that the user has all their album art already. the IMDB integration makes this really easy. i got some stuff i wanna do on Remix project and then i will try and throw together a working prototype of this mod.

boy0161

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2006, 07:17:00 AM »

Sounds good so far! Another source of inspiration for such a feature would be MS's Vista Media Centre. The image below shows it displaying CD boxes, and the title is simply in the space where the box would be for files without images. Scrolling also goes from left to right in a loop, instead of having multiple pages horizontally. This would allow you to keep a heading at the top, and a few buttons at the bottom, without ruining the effect your creating.

Just my opinion! Looking forward to seeing your work soon!

Chris

fredmon

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2006, 08:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(boy0161 @ Jul 4 2006, 02:17 PM) View Post

Sounds good so far! Another source of inspiration for such a feature would be MS's Vista Media Centre. The image below shows it displaying CD boxes, and the title is simply in the space where the box would be for files without images. Scrolling also goes from left to right in a loop, instead of having multiple pages horizontally. This would allow you to keep a heading at the top, and a few buttons at the bottom, without ruining the effect your creating.

Just my opinion! Looking forward to seeing your work soon!

Chris

I second that.

BritneysPAIRS

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2006, 04:51:00 PM »

ummmmm. Some of this stuff isnt possible trust me. After Version 2 jmarshall said he may redo the thumbnail panel if this looks like it will happen ill be asking him for this and more features so stuff like this can be done properly smile.gif

fredmon

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(BritneysPAIRS @ Jul 4 2006, 11:58 PM) View Post

ummmmm. Some of this stuff isnt possible trust me. After Version 2 jmarshall said he may redo the thumbnail panel if this looks like it will happen ill be asking him for this and more features so stuff like this can be done properly smile.gif

Have some faith. Slumberpod77 will do what he can with this.

BritneysPAIRS

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2006, 10:26:00 PM »

biggrin.gif  good luck I know the limitations. Everything will require folder art exactly the same aspect and to have art. Also the scrolling left to right isnt possible that I know of, plus thumbpanel cant enlarge selected thumb unless its in a set place, plus........ but still all the best.

If you do want any help i can try and help. Just PM me, but cant spend much time on it. Just throw over my knoweldge. I am finishing off a Version 2 skin that has to keep up with all CVS changes till Version 2 is released at least.

slumberpod77

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2006, 11:30:00 PM »

yeah as Britney said, a lot of what you asked for most recently is beyond the current functionality of the thumbnail panel... i appreciate the vote of confidence though smile.gif

fredmon

• Archived User
Kaleidescape Skin
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 06:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(slumberpod77 @ Jul 5 2006, 06:37 AM) View Post

yeah as Britney said, a lot of what you asked for most recently is beyond the current functionality of the thumbnail panel... i appreciate the vote of confidence though smile.gif

I really don't care about the fancy stuff. Just a panel that looks like the one you whipped together. The side menu buttons could be relocated  at the bottom of the screen. Alls I want is more cover art on the screen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9