xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Skin "the Orbs" Reloaded :)  (Read 1988 times)

kotix

• Archived User
Skin "the Orbs" Reloaded :)
« on: April 18, 2005, 04:15:00 PM »

Finally i have updated the skin to 1.3 compatibility,and improved the graphic.
Here is the link:
http://www.xbox-skins.net/forums/index.php?download=3653

And here some screenshots:
(IMG:http://img223.echo.cx/img223/8659/screenshot0105hf.jpg)

(IMG:http://img223.echo.cx/img223/1272/screenshot0130ib.jpg)

(IMG:http://img223.echo.cx/img223/9172/screenshot0124rk.jpg)

(IMG:http://img223.echo.cx/img223/6543/screenshot0116ks.jpg)

Please test it and report possible bugs.
Enjoy.  :D

Dr_digitaL

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 04:17:00 PM »

this just gets better and better, thanks KotiX, will check it out when i get home from work...ooo what a long monday  blink.gif

Xr8d

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »

Let me be the first to say the skins looks excellent. Icons fit perfect, cool new gifs, great job. :beer:

Splinter

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 04:53:00 PM »

Sounds great. I am installing either today or yesterday's xbmc so I can use the skin. Its done, time to play now. So there are supposed to be sounds? I guess I need to turn the speakers on then.

I hope the huge other thread can be retired and just use this one now.

edit: OK. I know it is the skin from the link. xbmc says it is not 1.3 compatable though and won't switch.

Next edit: OK its fine now. Maybe it happened because this time I tried to not copy over the PAL or 16x9 folders. The skin looks great.

This post has been edited by Splinter: Apr 19 2005, 12:06 AM

Splinter

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 05:18:00 PM »

I like how when you press the right thumbstick that the interface guide pops up too. The problem for me at least is that the text is a little blurry. maybe a different font or the size increased a little would help. I am using the standard NTSC version.

Are there any other sounds built in besides the opening and the click for each selection?

The new "key mapping help" screens look nice. Is there supposed to be text at the bottom? I don't have any, but there was in an earlier version. I just have arrows.

This post has been edited by Splinter: Apr 19 2005, 12:22 AM

djdafreund

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 05:34:00 PM »

Wow, all i can say is BEAUTFULL!!!! I really like the new changes. Worth the wait as always.

j_guzzler

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 05:48:00 PM »

The screen help (both right thumbstick instant display and actual menu help) are trials for right now,  need input form you guys as to which approach to take in the design.  Also same goes for the sounds, any suggestions and or comments.  Those are just to show that sounds are available.

00g

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 06:06:00 PM »

Hmmmm....

I'm pretty new at this.....

But when I put this over my existing Orbs skin, I get no animations, and there's  nothing in the weather orb.

I don't even get cover art in the orb, or a scrolling marquee of what I'm listening to.
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/iraymanl/e1bd1c8f.jpg)

This post has been edited by 00g: Apr 19 2005, 01:14 AM

Splinter

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 08:32:00 PM »

00g
ALways delete the old Orbs skin before using a new one. Overwriting the files does not seem to work well.

The screen help (both right thumbstick instant display and actual menu help) are trials for right now, need input form you guys as to which approach to take in the design. Also same goes for the sounds, any suggestions and or comments. Those are just to show that sounds are available.

I like all of them. The sounds should remain an option to turn onn and off though. The sound it makes is good because so many times i accidently hit the controller, and now the sound lets me know that i did.

The help screen from the bar is good also. When I was talking about when pushing in the thumbstick is what kotix added to the skin. Under the usual bar, a screen opens over top the regualr screen and on it is another kind of keymap. It shows you what buttons do. Its a great thing, just the text was a bit hard for me to read.

Xr8d

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 08:53:00 PM »

I prefer the sounds you used in this version to the new PMIII(green button). They're a little harsh. Subtle is the way to go IMO. In fact Im thinking about copying yours over but Im afraid my xbox will say, "I cant allow you to do that Dave".
One thing (maybe you dont want to hear/read it) would be nice if the rss feed streched accross further for those of use that read pho-e-ne-ti-cal-ly. Maybe along the bottom or top? Just a thought.

j_guzzler

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 10:53:00 PM »

OOg: yes dont overwrite previous skins, the best way to update is to actually change skins in XBMC before you actually delete the skin folder you are updating (because XBMC still needs access to the media files, and some wont get deleted).  

-Also please remeber, that when Kotix releases a new version of his skin, that he uses the most recent build of XBMC to design around (meaning the same day of his release).  So if there are any problems, first try updating to that day's release, and if the problem persists, then report it as a bug.

Splinter:  there are two Keymap help screens 1) the first showing up when you press the thumbstick 2) the other acessed by navigating to the question mark after pressing the thumbstick.  They both basically say the same thing, just a different way of showing it.  Need feedback from everyone as to which one they like most (or variation of).

Xr8d: rss feed is simple to change yourself.  Because of other resolutions such as NTSC 4:3 the screen gets cut off right at the top and bottom of the orbs, so placement of the RSS there would not work for all resolutions.  BUt if you go into home.xml and search until you find something about rss, then you can easily change the size, and position as well as the feed itself.

Hope this helps

j_guzzler

Xr8d

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 12:03:00 AM »

That was an easy fix. Thanks J.

00g

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 12:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(j_guzzler @ Apr 18 2005, 10:52 PM)
OOg: yes dont overwrite previous skins, the best way to update is to actually change skins in XBMC before you actually delete the skin folder you are updating (because XBMC still needs access to the media files, and some wont get deleted). 

-Also please remeber, that when Kotix releases a new version of his skin, that he uses the most recent build of XBMC to design around (meaning the same day of his release).  So if there are any problems, first try updating to that day's release, and if the problem persists, then report it as a bug.

After I posted the problem, I did just what you stated above. I deleted the entire Orbs folder, then put in the new one. Same deal.

Then since I was already having issues with XBMC (slow, and I took it away from being my default dash), I just deleted XMBC entirely. I then reinstalled the latest version I can get my hands on (the same one that was already on ther [4-1-2005]).

And I then put the new Orbs skin back in.....still the same thing.

I'm confizzled

EDIT: Is there maybe any kind of cache I should clear?

And...on a side note...Project Mayhem III beta, is a nice skin.

This post has been edited by 00g: Apr 19 2005, 07:16 AM

AndyB

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 12:23:00 AM »

00g, you need XBMC build 17-04-2005 or above.

00g

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(AndyB @ Apr 19 2005, 12:22 AM)
00g, you need XBMC build 17-04-2005 or above.

And that cannot be found in the "usual places"?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8