xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: No Scripts Working, Or Shoutcast  (Read 191 times)

kevlar69

• Archived User
No Scripts Working, Or Shoutcast
« on: December 29, 2004, 05:48:00 AM »

The last version of xbmc I installed back at the begining of december I couldn't get any of the scripts to work, KLM, Launch, Ifilm, gamestrailers, AQT, also my top 500 shoutcast link wouldn't work. All network settings were as they should be, weather and KAI worked etc. I thought it must be broken. I've just installed latest version dated 28/12 and am getting exactly the same.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

Thanks in advance

Kevlar

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 06:55:00 AM »

1: your network is not setup right

or

2: You do not have all script or python files installed

or

3: Your firewall is blocking

When these three are out of the picture it will work.

kevlar69

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 09:13:00 AM »

Well I'm sure my network is set up correctly, I can ftp to xbox, xlink kai runs properly, the weather works properly. I can access any shared directory on any of my 3 pc's connected to my router. It's just the scripts which don't work and the shoutcast. They all worked 2 versions ago. Exactly what python/script files do I need?

cheers

Kevlar

This post has been edited by kevlar69: Dec 29 2004, 05:26 PM

kevlar69

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 07:13:00 AM »

I'm getting nowhere with this. I have thought of something though, I started using xbmc as a dash about a week ago, and as far as I can tell this is when the scripts stopped working for me. I have xbmc on f drive and the xml and default.xbe on my c drive. I've even tried downloading the last official version and installing that, along with python scripts from other releases.

If the problem is network/firewall related how come the weather works fine?.

As I said I think it was working fine before I decided to use xbmc as a dash, I was previously using avalaunch as dash and running xbmc from there.

Can anybody help me please?

Kevlar

kevlar69

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 09:56:00 AM »

Ok, I've finally sorted it. It WAS a network issue, a weird one though!. I had xbox ip set statically in network settings in xbmc, for some reason this wouldn't work with scripts and shoutcast, yet everything else worked fine. I set it to automatic DHCP ip, bingo! everything working fine again. God knows why it didn't like having a static ip!. All my scripts are working now except web radio and launch.

Thanks for the help

Kevlar

thebigbanana

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 06:23:00 AM »

You most probably didn't set the DNS server address in XBMC config.  

Mostly everything else will work in XBMC without the DNS server set, but the xbox will be unable to lookup internet addresses properly.   Without DNS, "www.shoutcast.com" is meaningless to the xbox (or any computer).

When you change it to DHCP, the DNS address is passed to the xbox along with IP addresses and everything else, so it's no surprise it's all hunky-dory.

If you want to keep your static xbox IP, then the other way to fix this is to figure out your ISP's DNS server addresses, and add one to your xbox network config.  You'll find it's usually set to 0.0.0.0 by default in your xbox network options .  Once you change this, the xbox can work out that the name address "www.shoutcast.com" really means the internet number address "205.188.234.185", and can connect properly.

Hope that helps anyone else stumbling over this one.

Cheers!

P.S. IF you're wondering why CDDB lookups work without the DNS, it's because XBMC's config uses a static number address (194.97.4.18) for FreeDB.org!

P.P.S. This is probably why the weather also works :)

--

DNS on Wikipedia
Tutorial on DNS

ReVaL

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 10:46:00 AM »

Hmmm weird, I have DHCP running and I can see the weather and RSS feed but the scripts dont work...
Maybe someone could post a n00b guide to how to setup these scripts....

forthex

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 08:17:00 PM »

complete python build

Copy over the Python folder to your XBMC directory. Just a heads up in the future: when installing a new version of XBMC, don't delete then transfer the files. Copy over the files and let them over-write the old ones. This saves a lot of headaces. And in all the newer builds, they only contain a partial python directory.