xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: New Content on XNA Creators: New Mini Game, Tutorials, Samples  (Read 330 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

New Content on XNA Creators: New Mini Game, Tutorials, Samples
Posted by XanTium | May 24 21:52 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From XNA Team Blog (FYI: MS owned blog):

We've got more great content available on http://creators.xna.com this month, including a new mini game, new tutorials, and new samples to keep you busy throughout the month of June.  If there's specific content you're interested in, be sure to leave feedback on our blog as your suggestions help us build better content. Enjoy the new additions!

Mini Game
* Catapult: Catapult is a complete XNA Game Studio Express minigame. The project comes ready to compile and run, and it's easy to customize with a little bit of C# programming. You are free to use the source code as the basis for your own XNA Game Studio Express game projects, and to share your work with others.
The goal in Catapult is to launch a pumpkin from your catapult as far as you can. You do this by moving the catapult towards the log and launching the pumpkin. If you wait too long, the catapult will smash into the log and you will have to try again. The all-time high score is kept in the upper-left corner.

Video Tutorial
 * (Available Next Week 05/28/07 - 06/01/07 ) Video Tutorial 4:  Make a Game in 60 Minutes

Tutorials
* Collision Series 1:  2D Rectangle Collision
* Collision Series 2:  2D Per-Pixel Collision

Samples
* Shader Series 2:  Colors and Textures
* Particle Series 2:  3D GPU Particles with Point Sprites
* Color Replacement
* Content Pipeline Importer:  Custom Mesh Format
* Picking
* Aiming
* 3rd-Person Chase Camera

Full Story: XNA Team Blog
Official Site: http://creators.xna.com

bonevichio

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »

XNA is cool and everything....BUT not what everyone is looking for.  You gotta pay money just to develop.

M$ ticks me off!

How about opening the console to homebrew and let us use 360 SDK.  We all want XBMC and homebrew just the same as the original xbox.

yaazz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »

Wow sounds great. Too bad it uses C#, is stupidly locked down, and costs an unreasonable amount of money.

Thanks but no thanks MS, I think I'll stick with C++, PC, and an xbox 360 controller...

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(yaazz @ May 28 2007, 10:36 AM) View Post

Wow sounds great. Too bad it uses C#, is stupidly locked down, and costs an unreasonable amount of money.

Thanks but no thanks MS, I think I'll stick with C++, PC, and an xbox 360 controller...

$50 is not unreasonable... hell, Free is not unreasonable (for the PC side). Considering what can be done with it...

As for "Stupidly locked down" - Microsoft has good reasons for doing so, and it's BECAUSE they can sandbox C# apps that we can enjoy a FREE development kit that has quite a bit of power behind it.

This forum obviously needs a kick in the pants...

/Grumbles and putters off to look into porting X-Marbles to XNA

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(BenJeremy @ Jun 15 2007, 01:59 AM) View Post

This forum obviously needs a kick in the pants...
/Grumbles and putters off to look into porting X-Marbles to XNA

Grumble grumble indeed.... looks like Microsoft used X-Marbles as a template in XNA (Marblets).

They don't have the code, of course, but the gameplay is identical. It's lacking names in the high scores... and music. I like the popup score. Oh, and I had an undo, too.

Still might write a "better" version.

Racer is interesting, obviously... again, XNA is quite capable of writing some serious games. If nothing else, use it to showcase what you are capable of, polish your own skills, and convince Microsoft to give you the tools to make your creation a full-fledged XBLA game (as some have done).

I'm really shocked this forum isn't more active.