xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Community Developers Still Don't Know Sales Figures  (Read 242 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Community Developers Still Don't Know Sales Figures
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 13 00:32 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From multiplayerblog.mtv.com:

While Community Games has launched without a hitch, the situation is more troublesome behind the scenes, Community Games developers told MTV Multiplayer, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

The root of the problem: we know as much as developers do about how games have been selling. Official Xbox Live evangelist Major Nelson has released several top ten lists seemingly indicating Xbox 360 users would pay for quality indie games, but how many people are buying them? Our sources said those numbers haven't been disclosed to anyone outside of Microsoft, developers included.

Microsoft told MTV Multiplayer they are currently working on making sales data available to developers. "All Community Games developers will be able to access sales and download numbers through the [XNA Creators Club] Web site by March," said a company spokesperson in an e-mailed statement this morning.

Full Story: multiplayerblog.mtv.com

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »

IOW: The check's in the mail... tongue.gif

cory1492

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:34:00 AM »

"Official Xbox Live evangelist Major Nelson has released several top ten lists seemingly indicating Xbox 360 users would pay for quality indie games, but how many people are actually getting paid for them? None it would seem, as indie developers have no idea how well their creations are selling."
^
pseudo~fixed. Reminds me of the good old days of book cookery, balancing what you are going to pay out to your suppliers vs. keeping the model appearing popular vs. pocketing a fair chunk. From all appearances they are going to leave it to nearly the last minute tax wise to disclose profits (and thus inferred sales.)

DeeRez

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »

I haven't seen a community game I'd pay for yet. Some are good, but not worth splashing my cash on.

Halcyon-X12

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »

Guess there's no figures to release...

kgn340

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »

aww ... ms messed up community development (read "weak").

the community could have been fun and cool

but ms did the typical thing by castrating it and releasing it to the public with an expensive side of prairie oysters.

Thundercleese

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »

I havent seen ANY community games here in australia. still doesnt show up in my marketplace.