xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: XNA Game Studio Express Has Been Released!  (Read 1844 times)

zviper

• Archived User
XNA Game Studio Express Has Been Released!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 11:28:00 AM »

its basicly, a sub system if you fuck up the system just try again cause its not really part of the system files

tyraen

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »

@GARRYB

I don't know if I understand you.  They did release software to make homebrew, it's called the XNA Game Studio Express.  The whole purpose of it is to make "homebrew".

Alkane

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 11:54:00 AM »

A few facts to get everyone up to speed:
1. XNA Game Studio Express is run in a limited environment, I would guess, much like the Xbox 1 emulator.  There is a layer of protection that seperates it from the rest of the game console's software.  This means hacking the "operating system" on the 360 from XNA Express will be very difficult if not impossible.

2. C# is the programming environment.  I am not sure if they left the ability to use legacy DLL files, very doughtful.  This means any codecs based off the functionality of a DLL file could not be implemented without the source code.  Xbox Media Center could be rewritten to run in the C# environment on the Xbox, but you would lose a lot of the codec compatibilites (support for the very large range of video and music files) and you would have no network support.

3. I would imagine you would have to recompile Xbox Media Center with the media files you would want to use each time.  So if you wanted to add a video you would have to recompile and add the video file as a resource to the project.

This is my understanding, by no way perfect as I'm no programmer ; )

infamous_Q

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 12:31:00 PM »

no that seems about right, w/o ethernet capabilities and the ability to use dll files from other progs, xbmc is pretty much useless cuz we may as well keep what we're doing now then.

it'd be ideal for us if:
a) anyone could download xna project and put them in their xbox for free
cool.gif it allowed ethernet support
c) and the use of dll files

if that were the case, it'd be full out homebrew (w/ the exception that they could limit programs from launching non xna executables, so games from the HD, as well as a few other things (lost my train of thought...))

mrdan

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 12:45:00 PM »

I just hope they allow the use of some sort of removable storage. Disallowing ethernet is understandable from a security standpoint, but the inability to access and handle outside resources severely limits what we can do with the CC.

That said, we probably won't be able to.

b0nd18t

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »

so can you only play the games people create if you have a subscription or is it available to the entire public?  this is basically useless if its just for the developers to play.

infamous_Q

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 12:56:00 PM »

just for developers. but if you subscribe and download XNA studio you can just copy and paste source code, as far as i know, but thats still $100 a year.

Alkane

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 01:14:00 PM »

I'm hoping Sony's open platform will pressure Microsoft to change their homebrew policies somewhat.  You will see PlayStation Media Center no doubt.

What they've given us already is nice though.  Its a pleasure working in C# if you don't mind the pampering.  I can see a lot of emulators making their way to the 360 -- but the way things look, PS3 will be the platform of choice this generation for homebrew.

I want to see N64 on the 360 ; )

gaming fanboy

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »

i have a sandbox in back yard biggrin.gif

infamous_Q

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 01:38:00 PM »

hence, if they're limiting what resources you have access too, it's pretty much where the scene is at RIGHT now, MS is throwing the homebrew scene a bone here, unfortunately the better treats are just out of reach.

the ps3 linux platform also limits the use of the ps3's hardware, you can use the ethernet ports, but you can't use half the RAM available or the RSX card, the only reason its any further (currently) is because Linux is an open source OS to begin with.

Deeez

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(gaming fanboy @ Dec 11 2006, 03:23 PM) View Post

i have a sandbox in back yard biggrin.gif

We have our first Genius folks, LOL

R-Dawggy Dawg

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »

so how fast could one of the many expert C# programmers in X-S get emulators out in the homebrew community? cuz those right there is worth 100 dolla /year to me biggrin.gif

I can see it now... all the roms on the 360 harddrive.... (sploosh in pants)

Bizquick

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2006, 02:01:00 PM »

Yeah but with out access to the Ethernet ports this a quite lame. I think we were all expecting a Dog bone but got a Dog Biscutt instead. I think PS3 will have more options. Maybe even some hacks to get full access to the system. I would have loved to seen XBMC ported over to the 360 but it looks like thats a dead end dream. and as for emu's on the 360 I'm not sure on how good that might be. I mean before it was working with a single core like Intel P3. now its this IBM 3 core processor. I'm not a dev but from that I've been told its really hard to take advantage of Multi Processor's. But in any case they said this is a sandbox so you may be working with the same spec's as before like the xbox 1.

Lamer123

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 02:35:00 PM »

Ok so it runs in a limited enviroemnt that is secured.

But anything that allows you to run code you wrote on your computer on your xbox is definetly a step in the right direction.

gotu159

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 02:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(infamous_Q @ Dec 11 2006, 01:31 PM) View Post

thats true. from what i remember reading up on this (the little that i did) it is based on C# but my best guess is that many commands have been removed. not to mention access to the LAN ports for 360 creations.

yah but i think they said that they may be opened at a later date
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4